Fuse rating for cellink B hardwire.

russell shadbolt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, This is my first dash can install and I am installing a 650s 2CH system with a Cellink B for parking mode, the question I have is relating to the fuse supplied with my battery and add a fuse. The kit was supplied with two 20A fuses, one of each form factor. To me that sounds like too large a fuse, when hardwiring the cellink B must be set to 7Amp. Surely a 7.5Amp or 10Amp fuse would be safer with more chance of it blowing during a fault.

When ever I have searched the only hints I can find are posts stating that the fuse selected to tap should be at least 10Amp or preferably 15Amp.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Surely a 7.5Amp or 10Amp fuse would be safer with more chance of it blowing during a fault.

Correct. You can use a 10A fuse. The input wires of the Cellink B look to only handle 10-15A anyway

In a fault condition you want the fuse to pop before the wiring and components starts to glow and ignites something.

Find an unused circuit in the fusebox if you can. Also theres two ways of plugging in the fuse tap.

Thanks for confirming that flip9.

When you say use and unused circuit in the fuse box, do you mean wire in without using the add a fuse? So it's like a factory installed circuit in the car, or put the add a fuse in to a slot where it will tap power but not have to also supply an original circuit and the added cellink b circuit?

What two ways are there if plugging the fuse tap? Are you referring to the issue of putting it in one way that supplies the circuits bypassing the fuses because of the way it works?

It's for an f30 BMW, I have seen Blackbox my car reference which fuses they use on a couple of videos. But I do the like the idea of not disturbing anything else when installing this if I can.

When you say use and unused circuit in the fuse box, do you mean wire in without using the add a fuse?

No, you still use the add a fuse/fuse tap.

Sometimes there's spare unused circuits in the fuse box. For example theres a 15A fuse for seat warmers in my car, but my car didnt come with seat warmers so i was able to use an add-a-fuse into this 'unused' circuit and dedicate it to the dashcam.

What two ways are there if plugging the fuse tap?

The fuse socket has a hotside so the add a fuse can be plugged one way or the other. Have a read of this thread, it might be of some help: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/proper-way-to-install-an-add-a-fuse.21560/

I wouldn't recommend using a 7.5A fuse, even though the Cellink says 7A on the side switch, the actual input current can go up to 8.5A according to the manual

Ah thanks for the heads up Blackboxmycar, for an f30 what ACC fuse number would you use to tap to supply the cellink B? I was looking for something that's 20/30 Amp already.

Ah thanks for the heads up Blackboxmycar, for an f30 what ACC fuse number would you use to tap to supply the cellink B? I was looking for something that's 20/30 Amp already.

To be honest it seems like they aren't too consistent with the fuse arrangement so we don't really note it any more. Some customers with 5 series reported that for their vehicle the fuses are set up a little differently than the one in our videos. That being said, for Cellink feel free to use a blank fuse slot (make sure add-a-fuse is inserted correctly)

So why do cellink include 20 amp fuses then if they are too high for 15 and 10 amp fuse holders?

So why do cellink include 20 amp fuses then if they are too high for 15 and 10 amp fuse holders?

Better to be to high than too low and then have an issue

Do they tell you to put it in a 10 or 15amp holder?

Common sense dictates you use a fuse appropriate for the device and holder

Do they tell you to put it in a 10 or 15amp holder?

Common sense dictates you use a fuse appropriate for the device and holder
They say use a 10 or 15 amp fuse, so need to choose a 10 or 15 holder. I will only have a 10amp available anyway due to electric seats getting in the way of the 15amp. I will be using the blind spot one. So I will be using 2x 10 amp in an existing 10 amp.

Last edited:
Back