G1WH battery replacement?

a smaller battery is probably a better option anyway, give it some breathing room
Do you have a link to a battery that will probably fit it?

The one you first linked in this thread would probably be the way to go at this point.
So this one or this one?

#1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00M16NG34
or

#2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00MZJBQHU
Because I linked 2 :p

Edit I just measured my battery and it is 1in x 1.3in. I am not sure if the height since it is all puffed up. I did try looking on amazon for that size but cant find anything :/

Is there any where that I can buy that battery or am I just going to have to buy a whole new camera?

Thanks

Last edited:
I believe I may have found one that will fit :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SO2WEXW
It seems the same size if not smaller than the one I currently got

1.2 x 0.8 x 0.2 inches

That battery is 7mm thick which is too thick. You will need to find a battery that is 5mm thick or less. The other dimensions look OK.

Heya, just wanted to chime in I *just* did this with my G1WH using this video of a guy doing it for a G1W as the general guide/template, and just wanted to put this here to help out any other wayward souls in the same situation that I was in. The battery in my cam swelled up, and wouldn't hold a charge anymore.. fortunately it'd still record, but the date was reset to Jan 1st, 2013 on a regular basis and every so often it'd corrupt one of the looped recorded files and reboot itself. Annoying to say the least.

In the video the layout of my G1WH was essentially the same, but be wary of the front sensor wiring as it is a little fragile (one of the leads came off while I was cracking the case... I might have been a little overzealous with my pry tool, so I had to re-solder that too).

In addition, in the description he links a 400 mAh lipo battery that fits/works just fine as a replacement, available from a seller on ebay. The bigger battery fits in the case perfectly, including a thicker new piece of doublesided tape underneath it to hold it in place. Worked like a charm for me, pretty much exactly as demo'd in the youtube video I linked.

Just in case you want the original, smaller battery's info, on mine under the doublesided tape it was attached to I've got: 402030, 3.7V, 180 mAh.

It has been my experience that searching ebay for "402030 battery" will give you plenty of options if you wanted to stick with the original... but, I recommend the 400 mAh battery upgrade, because why not go for something more robust while you've got the guts exposed anyway. Edit: now with a picture I forgot I snapped for posterity's sake.

dashcam_fix.JPG

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
i replaced the battery on my 2 year old g1wh earlier this summer. i luckily found a spare battery out of a small portable speaker and it was exactly the same size as original battery. I messed up while soldering but surprisingly still turned on.
a couple of issues..
in some cases, the last file will randomly corrupt. it would still play on the cam though. what's more worrisome is sometimes the cam stops recording by itself, I can't tell if its SD card or the camera, either way this thing is getting old & I'll probably replace it soon.

As I always say, you don't get what you don't pay for. If my 2 ~$35 G1WHc's last a year trouble-free I'll be fine and if they go longer I'll be well-pleased :p

Battery-swap should be easy if you can solder tiny things. Us older folks need magnification to do this :p Use 60-40 or eutectic lead rosin core solder as it's a lot easier to work with than the lead-free stuff. It's still available from China and a few US sources which the EPA hasn't closed down yet.

Phil

Heya, just wanted to chime in I *just* did this with my G1WH using this video of a guy doing it for a G1W as the general guide/template, and just wanted to put this here to help out any other wayward souls in the same situation that I was in. The battery in my cam swelled up, and wouldn't hold a charge anymore.. fortunately it'd still record, but the date was reset to Jan 1st, 2013 on a regular basis and every so often it'd corrupt one of the looped recorded files and reboot itself. Annoying to say the least.

In the video the layout of my G1WH was essentially the same, but be wary of the front sensor wiring as it is a little fragile (one of the leads came off while I was cracking the case... I might have been a little overzealous with my pry tool, so I had to re-solder that too).

In addition, in the description he links a 400 mAh lipo battery that fits/works just fine as a replacement, available from a seller on ebay. The bigger battery fits in the case perfectly, including a thicker new piece of doublesided tape underneath it to hold it in place. Worked like a charm for me, pretty much exactly as demo'd in the youtube video I linked.

Just in case you want the original, smaller battery's info, on mine under the doublesided tape it was attached to I've got: 402030, 3.7V, 180 mAh.

It has been my experience that searching ebay for "402030 battery" will give you plenty of options if you wanted to stick with the original... but, I recommend the 400 mAh battery upgrade, because why not go for something more robust while you've got the guts exposed anyway. Edit: now with a picture I forgot I snapped for posterity's sake.

View attachment 26093

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Yea I think I put in the original 180 mAh and I got 5 of them off amazon. If I run out of them all after the other ones die I will probably look into upgrading to that 400mAh :)

Thanks, Yea I think I put in the original 180 mAh and I got 5 of them off amazon. If I run out of them all after the other ones die I will probably look into upgrading to that 400mAh :)

Sounds like a good plan but I hope the camera lasts that long. I think the G1WH is a great camera for the money but as I said earlier in this thread, they can often seem like disposable cameras. You've had yours quite a while so maybe you are luckier than most. Hope that continues.:)

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan but I hope the camera lasts that long. I think the G1WH is a great camera for the money but as I said earlier in this thread, they can often seem like disposable cameras. You've had yours quite a while so maybe you are luckier than most. Hope that continues.:)
So far I love the camera. Knock on wood it has survived the summer with 110-120+ heat outside. Imagine how hot it gets in the car. I love the quality it has at night. When I went to replace the battery I got the mobius as a temporally replacement camera. I think the G1WH did a better job at night than the mobius. Since the G1WH is repaired I have her back up front and put the mobius in the back. So far all seems well :)

Thanks

just got a mobius 520mah original battery and my G1WH battery only last for less than 10 seconds so i would try to replace it...
i will update if it can be done.

still would be great if we could replace the battery with a capacitor...

just got a mobius 520mah original battery and my G1WH battery only last for less than 10 seconds so i would try to replace it...
i will update if it can be done.

still would be great if we could replace the battery with a capacitor...
Yea it can be done I replaced mine, I'm just unsure how long they will last since in the summer it can be 120F outside. Imagine how hot it gets in the car :/

Looking at my Mobius camera today it looks a bit puffy so I am guessing the battery swelled on that camera. Should I be worried about the cams catching fire at those temps?

updating:
the battery replacement went fine (520mah mobius, instead of the original )
i taped the wires. the battry i haven't because it fit snuglly and the old glue was holding just enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20170312_093324.jpg
    IMG_20170312_093324.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170312_095544.jpg
    IMG_20170312_095544.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20170312_095810.jpg
    IMG_20170312_095810.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 15
Back