new ThiEYE T5e firmware update

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3/v2/v1
Just letting everyone know to head on over to ThiEYE support website in which there is a new firmware updated Feb 28, 2017. Fixes the "resetted settings everytime you turn the camera back on" bug plus some typo fixing and other bug fixes.

Also worth mentioning that the instructional PDF doesn't cover how to install the drivers so that your PC sees the camera - i.e. driver signing etc if required.

Just letting everyone know to head on over to ThiEYE support website in which there is a new firmware updated Feb 28, 2017. Fixes the "resetted settings everytime you turn the camera back on" bug plus some typo fixing and other bug fixes.

Also worth mentioning that the instructional PDF doesn't cover how to install the drivers so that your PC sees the camera - i.e. driver signing etc if required.
Thank you, the 11th Feb version wasn't the best ThiEYE have done.

New f/w Release Time: 2017/3/06 RAR download here
Changelog:

Version:TI_UN5-170228-V5.0

NOTE:The way of upgrade has changed.

Please follow the instructions enclosed with Firmware RAR.

1.Add the language Thai
2.Optimize the deformation problem within 720P 240FPS and 200FPS resolution.
3.Solved the occasional crashes.
4.Optimize Bluetooth remote control function.
5.Solved the factory reset setting problem when the camera is turned on again.
6.Add the timelapse icon

I have just received a T5e for review purposes and have a couple of questions please.

1. What is the difference if any between T5 and T5 e apart from the accessories supplied? Does it come in two different packaging?

2. re the firmware upgrade, I don't want to brick this camera , it only arrived yesterday and my first test videos have been stunning, but I'm not sure which FW to use.

The Notes say...

NOTE£º

If your camera dosen't save the settings when turn on again,please choose the Upgrade on desktop computer file.

If your camera can save the settings when turn on again, please choose the Upgrade on camera file.

When I turn off the camera I have in for example 1080 60 fps the setting is the same when I turn on again. Other settings, date, date format etc all stay the same when I turn off. So do I use the camera update method? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't want to brick this camera!

I have just received a T5e for review purposes and have a couple of questions please.

1. What is the difference if any between T5 and T5 e apart from the accessories supplied? Does it come in two different packaging?

2. re the firmware upgrade, I don't want to brick this camera , it only arrived yesterday and my first test videos have been stunning, but I'm not sure which FW to use.

The Notes say...

NOTE£º

If your camera dosen't save the settings when turn on again,please choose the Upgrade on desktop computer file.

If your camera can save the settings when turn on again, please choose the Upgrade on camera file.

When I turn off the camera I have in for example 1080 60 fps the setting is the same when I turn on again. Other settings, date, date format etc all stay the same when I turn off. So do I use the camera update method? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I don't want to brick this camera!
No difference between packaging.

The camera saved the setting for me sometimes and sometimes it didn't. I just upgraded using the new way to upgrade and used the ELF file to upgrade. Don't remember seeing the computer/on camera instructions so did it through the PC.

I don't think it will harm the camera no matter which way you go, as long as you follow all the instructions

The Notes say...

NOTE£º

Hi,

The problem was from f/w 11th Feb 2017 (170211) where the 1080p30/60 or whatever would reset back to the 3840 × 2160 setting. You would use the "Upgrade on camera" option BUT I have not tried it yet. If cam not resetting (working properly), and it's for test video review, I would NOT upgrade the cam.
Also it says "Do not change filename" where before it was changed to "filename.bin" before upgrading?

T5 - I think the box stood vertical with the cam inside a plastic display box on top, also seen the T5 in a smaller "square" black box (on a YouTube vid) without waterproof case version a long time ago and you had to buy separately. Confusing but it seems to be about keeping costs low and accessories.

My fw is TI/UN5 170112 - V5.0 12 01 17, I'll stick with it for now as all seems OK. Agreed, I didn't want to risk bricking a camera I only received a couple of days ago for review. That would be really bad news!

My fw is TI/UN5 170112 - V5.0 12 01 17, I'll stick with it for now as all seems OK. Agreed, I didn't want to risk bricking a camera I only received a couple of days ago for review. That would be really bad news!
Hi Bobflyman,
I wouldn't upgrade either! Really not worth the risk and the latest download has changed the way to upgrade dramatically with warnings!

The 720P 240FPS upgrade MAY help with Slo MO editing but if like me, Slo Mo is not widely used.

F/w option 4 Optimize Bluetooth remote control function. I have absolutely no idea where that would be used. I have seen some cams with Wrist Remotes erroneously saying Bluetooth but it is IR.

Looking forward to your review, subscribed.

Hi Bobflyman,
I wouldn't upgrade either! Really not worth the risk and the latest download has changed the way to upgrade dramatically with warnings!

The 720P 240FPS upgrade MAY help with Slo MO editing but if like me, Slo Mo is not widely used.

F/w option 4 Optimize Bluetooth remote control function. I have absolutely no idea where that would be used. I have seen some cams with Wrist Remotes erroneously saying Bluetooth but it is IR.

Looking forward to your review, subscribed.
When i got mine i upgraded from the January firmware to the early February one via the camera itself in the menu option.

Did the March upgrade via ambarrella utility on Pc as spelled out in the PDF instructions. No issues thus far and everything be fixed The Bluetooth thing is to do with working the camera with the app you can download from Google Play or App Store, and maybe they mean Wi-fi?

On February update the app was still fairly flaky in working properly so maybe they fixed it up. Will check when get home

When i got mine i upgraded from the January firmware to the early February one via the camera itself in the menu option.

Did the March upgrade via ambarrella utility on Pc as spelled out in the PDF instructions. No issues thus far and everything be fixed The Bluetooth thing is to do with working the camera with the app you can download from Google Play or App Store, and maybe they mean Wi-fi?

On February update the app was still fairly flaky in working properly so maybe they fixed it up. Will check when get home
Hi Agie,
Not tried the PC version. Checked it out. For Windows using DirectUSB.exe which opens a Config Window. and the instructions in the PDF type file as you say for the ELF f/w file. Glad to know it works!
Thanks.

Yes, the Chinese tend to "confuse" Bluetooth with WiFi a lot. Marketing? ;)

If one gets stuck will need to turn off driver signing first in Windows, and then install the driver in the zip file provided via Have Disk in Device Manager. then PC will be able to see the Thieye camera via USB. This isn't covered by the PDF, and is necessary if Windows Update doesn't find the driver. They really should have included these instructions in the PDF to be honest.

I'd say a marketing thing, you're right ;), same with them still calling it and labelling a TF slot even though its quite plainly microSD hahahaha.

Thanks for all the info. I have updated dozens of cameras using the usual method, (ie format the card, paste the bin and fire up the camera, without any problems) but I didn't like the sound of this one. It's a shame they have made it so complicated. I took some test clips yesterday and was extremely impressed with the results. I'll definitely leave the camera as it is.

cheers
Bob

Thanks for all the info. I have updated dozens of cameras using the usual method, (ie format the card, paste the bin and fire up the camera, without any problems) but I didn't like the sound of this one. It's a shame they have made it so complicated. I took some test clips yesterday and was extremely impressed with the results. I'll definitely leave the camera as it is.

cheers
Bob
Hi Bob,
I would too. We look out for these changes but the average or new buyer would be very confused. I worked many many years as a Snr. Engineer for Honeywell (Computer Division) and I'm confused and thanks to Agie for Windows info too.

Had massive problems with ElE Explorer Pro when Elephone went from V1.0 to RV2.0 each having different filenames. Good old Novatek FW96660A.bin being V1.0 for most NT96660 COTUO CS90/HT10 based cams but, like SooCoo C30/C30R, when adding wrist remote they changed too FWHT108M.bin. Bricks everywhere.
Makes me wary of firmware upgrades.

I found the Format and Paste with battery out variant quite useful too (Red LED flashes until finished then Blue sets on completion), mainly for restoring "frozen" upload fails. Bricked is bricked and you need to desolder the 8 pin EEPROM (NAND) to restore using a burner. Costly though ... and learn LINUX. Meh

ThiEYE T5e uses a ChipSip CT49 Multi Chip Package Memory (MCP) that integrated NAND Flash and DDR3 SDRAM by advanced SiP (System-in-a-Package) technology (a whopping 1 Gb or 2 GB NAND and 1 Gb or 2 GB DDR3 storage depends on chip model). Pretty impressive!

If one gets stuck will need to turn off driver signing first in Windows, and then install the driver in the zip file provided via Have Disk in Device Manager. then PC will be able to see the Thieye camera via USB. This isn't covered by the PDF, and is necessary if Windows Update doesn't find the driver. They really should have included these instructions in the PDF to be honest.

I'd say a marketing thing, you're right ;), same with them still calling it and labelling a TF slot even though its quite plainly microSD hahahaha.

Or saying IMX117 sensor when clearly IMX078 and even IMX179 (8.08Mp) are all 16MP sensors! :mad:

Hopefully ThiEYE T5e has IMX117 which would confirm true 30fps for 4K (Sony specs say up to 4096H × 2160V, 60 frame/s) :D

Hopefully ThiEYE T5e has IMX117 which would confirm true 30fps for 4K

Ambarella A12LS75 processor and IMX117 sensor. Yup, and test clips I have made so far have been really superb. Noticeably good even against the Xiaomi yi2, SJCam SJ Legend etc.

I would too. We look out for these changes but the average or new buyer would be very confused. I worked many many years as a Snr. Engineer for Honeywell (Computer Division) and I'm confused and thanks to Agie for Windows info too.

Had massive problems with ElE Explorer Pro when Elephone went from V1.0 to RV2.0 each having different filenames. Good old Novatek FW96660A.bin being V1.0 for most NT96660 COTUO CS90/HT10 based cams but, like SooCoo C30/C30R, when adding wrist remote they changed too FWHT108M.bin. Bricks everywhere.
Makes me wary of firmware upgrades.

Absolutely. I don't mind updating SJCam's, Git2, straightforward enough , though I didn't risk the Elephone. I was wary of this update hence I posted. When reviewing I prefer to have the latest updated FW , but like to see proven positive comments.
I'm just editing my review of the T5e and I cut out the bit about 'always check for the latest FW update'. The majority of users don't even think about it and will be put off by having to do anything technical. Some people posting on my YouTube reviews don't even know how to download video files from the camera, let alone update FW!

As I said above though I am dead impressed with the quality of the video from this camera so far. Sharpness of the lens and colours. Battery life isn't that good though. SJCam M20 and 5000xElite both rate highly for me too. And the M20 has 1 hour 50m battery life. PS wow, you know your stuff about the techie side of these cameras!

Or saying IMX117 sensor when clearly IMX078 and even IMX179 (8.08Mp) are all 16MP sensors! :mad:

Hopefully ThiEYE T5e has IMX117 which would confirm true 30fps for 4K (Sony specs say up to 4096H × 2160V, 60 frame/s) :D
Haha that is another trick companies use. I checked MediaInfo and it seems to check out as true 4K. Resolution ok and video codec of AVC along with decent bitrate.

Hello. I tried to run the firmware update TI / UN5-170228-V5.0 directly from the camera. The camera, however, remained with blue lights on for more than 10 minutes and is locked. How can I do a firmware recovery in order to perform the procedure again? Now the camera is unusable.
Thank you

Same thing that Kratos... Camera stuck with blue led light on..

Same thing that Kratos... Camera stuck with blue led light on..
Have you tried taking battery out to reset cam?
Probably not much help but worth a try.
Was scared this might happen.

Seems latest f/w is for correcting cams with UN5-170211 v5.0 f/w that had reset problem though it clearly states to use "camera" setup version if no "reset" problem and supplies a list of other improvements. Some cams now being supplied from stores with 170228 v5.0 installed.

Yes i tried that... i tried to reflash with the desktop method but always fail and the screen go white

Back