Parking Mode implementation on F770 is poor?

Mark2457

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first dash cam and I'd never heard of parking mode until a few weeks ago. Sounded like a great function. IMHO the implementation in the F770 is useless. Even on the lowest motion setting I get dozens of recordings every where I park, so much so that you just have to ignore them. It would take me an hour to go through them all. The time lapse feature isn't much use either

What i really want is just recording on any physical movement of the car (i.e. someone hits my car).

Am I missing something?

Does anyone find it at all usable, if so, can you explain how you use it

Thanks

Mark

Reactions: Gil
This is my first dash cam and I'd never heard of parking mode until a few weeks ago. Sounded like a great function. IMHO the implementation in the F770 is useless. Even on the lowest motion setting I get dozens of recordings every where I park, so much so that you just have to ignore them. It would take me an hour to go through them all. The time lapse feature isn't much use either

What i really want is just recording on any physical movement of the car (i.e. someone hits my car).

Am I missing something?

Does anyone find it at all usable, if so, can you explain how you use it

Thanks

Mark
My thoughts exactly.
The reviews I read had no mentioning of how good or bad it is.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Parking mode has two parts, motion sensing and incident recording (impact sensor).

Ignore the motion sensor events.

Only look at the incident recording events. These are the files in the parking_rec folder or 'Incident Parking' in the app.

It looks like theres an OFF setting for the motion sensitivity (using the PC viewer settings).

Last edited:
Parking mode has two parts, motion sensing and incident recording (impact sensor).

Ignore the motion sensor events.

Only look at the incident recording events. These are the files in the parking_rec folder or 'Incident Parking' in the app.

It looks like theres an OFF setting for the motion sensitivity (using the PC viewer settings).

Thanks for reply. So was re-reading user guide and it seems I MUST use timelapse to get what I want:

Impact Detection is enabled for Time Lapse Recording. When the dash cam detects impact while parked, it
will store the 3 minutes and after a parking incident for a total of 6 minutes.
- The recording is then saved on the MicroSD card under the folder named "motion_timelapse_rec".

Thanks for reply. So was re-reading user guide and it seems I MUST use timelapse to get what I want:

Honestly, I think this is one of the bets ways to implement a parking guard function. Time Lapse will at least capture something if the G Sensor is not tripped. I can think of incidents where a G Sensor probably will not be tripped, like someone keying your car.

I find the motion detection mode very useful. I have my F770 park mode set to motion detection. This way it will pick up anything moving near my vehicle not just an impact. Like if somebody keyed it I would have them on the camera walking away. I've owned my F770 for several months and I never looked at the parking footage. I tested it to see how it worked after I installed it but unless I find damage to my vehicle I have no reason to look at it

I purchased and received my F770 yesterday because the dealer assured me that the parking node could be set to 'incident only'.

However, after unboxing yesterday and installing the app I don't see any setting for 'incident only' in parking mode.

Time lapse makes no sense since my vehicles are garaged for many days at a time.

Motion detection makes no sense because in a busy parking lot it would be recording all the time.

Did the dealer screw me on this? At almost 400 dollars this is going to hurt.

Thanks in advance.

Yep. you MUST use motion or time lapse

In parking mode it will also record if you car get hit (event record). I have mine set to motion in parking mode. I park in a busy employee parking lot a work. It records all day for 8+hrs while I'm at work. Just set your low battery cut off voltage and it won't kill your battery. You can also set the camera to turn off after 48 hours in parking mode. I have a diesel truck with dual batteries so really don't have to worry about my batteries but I still set my low voltage cut off just in case. I also turn the dash cam off when I get home and park in my garage.

I'm always a bit skeptical about incident only should the car get keyed/vandalized. Not sure if it would necessarily trigger the G-sensor if someone keys you.

Ultimately you will still catch all the incidents that are unaffected by the amount of motion detection the camera catches since Thinkware puts those clips in a dedicated folder. In our experience it doesn't really change the power consumption if motion detection is constantly going off versus. nothing at all (e.g. in a garage), since the camera and sensor are always running with these cameras that offer pre-buffered recording.

Back