Country
New Zealand
Dash Cam
SG9665GC v3
Model: SG9665GC v3
Memory Card: Lexar High-Endurance 64GB UHS-I
Firmware: SG20161128.V3 (Update 4)
Power Supply: As supplied in the box

I've had my v3 (ordered from Amazon) for just over a month now and have noticed a couple of issues:

1. Failed recording
This morning, and this is what prompted me to sign up and post, I went to extract the SD card to collect some clips and after shutting the car off and I saw that the screen was white for a few seconds before going blank. The top lights then slowly faded out, almost as if the camera was running until the capacitor drained instead of turning off properly. I turned the car back on and it seemed to start up normally - the display showed the Street Guardian logo and played the chime, the record light was flashing, and there were no messages on the screen. When I removed power again the camera did almost the same thing - screen turned off (didn't go white, though), and the tops lights just faded out. I'm not sure if the white screen has been happening regularly or just a one-off coincidence, as I can’t see the display from the driver’s seat unless I lean over the centre console or rotate the mirror.

Later, when viewing the SD card I saw that the last recording was from 26 Feb (16 days ago)! The last time I removed the SD card was on 23 or 24 Feb, and I have removed it a couple of times before that as well. File names displayed correctly and a couple of clips I selected at random (including the last recorded clip) played in VLC without issue. The last saved clip also appeared to end normally - i.e. it ended when I shut the car off.

I have since formatted the card in the camera, and did a factory reset. It now seems to record and power off properly. I also ran H2testw using the built-in microSD reader in my laptop - write speed was 41MB/s, read speed 73MB/s, and the test completed without errors.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I haven't found any similar posts.

2. Blurry videos
On a warm day (after the car has been parked outside for a few hours) the videos for the first 5-10 minutes are blurry - sort of a 'soft focus' effect. The image quality then visibly improves as (from what I can tell) the A/C cools down the interior and the camera. I haven't measured the exact interior temperature, but I'd categorise it as 'uncomfortable steam room' as opposed to 'get me out of here, I'm melting in a sauna'. In one example, the outside air temperature was about 26C and I'm guessing interior was about 50C. The small bit of dashboard in the frame seems to be in focus.

I've seen some similar posts that pointed to a heat issue. Is that the likely cause, and it’s just a characteristic of the camera? Odd though that my previous camera didn't have the same focus shift problem (just a whole bunch of others, hence why I got the SG).

the shutdown problem you noted sounds like a software crash, if the card had issues this could cause it, had you formatted the card in the camera initially?

would need to know what sort of temps you had internally to know whether that is a problem, in testing they hold focus above rated temps but there are times when you can exceed those temps in a car parked in the sun, for example if you park facing west in direct sun in the afternoon you can see temps up to 40°c above ambient temps at the window

Wow thanks for the quick reply! I can confirm the card was formatted in the camera (a couple of times) before I installed it on 9 Feb and it was operating fine for almost 3 weeks. I may have even formatted it again around 18 or 19 Feb as when I looked it today I seem to remember I only had clips from 19 - 26 Feb, which is when it stopped recording. But after formatting again in the camera today it seems to be OK. Any suggestions to see if the card is causing a problem, or turn on some sort of logging to the card in case it happens again? As mentioned I just tested the card with h2testw and it passed.

Haven't had many warm days lately, but I'll wait for another and see if the image is still out of focus and supply some temps.

ok, let us know how you go with the memory card, if you've tested the card with h2testw and it comes up ok the card is most likely alright, that's not a card I've tested to know if any issue, a few people have reported some issues recently with Lexar cards across a number of brands of cameras, Lexar are normally reliable cards though so not the expected result, has only come up recently, let us know how you get on regardless

Back