My M2 stopped working (fixed?)

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
I've been using my M2 as a rear-facing camera for about a month. Auto power-on & off with external power from a 12v-to-USB adapter. Recording indicator enabled to check that it's working.

Over the weekend it was working as normal for three journeys, and recorded the last file as normal. On the next trip I noticed the red led was not flashing. It was solid, and stayed like that for 5 minutes, before going off.

Without messing about removing the camera etc, I turned off the car at the next set of lights, waited 30sec or so, and turned on the engine. Same thing. 5 minutes of solid red light, then off. Checked the card at home and it had not been recording anything during the solid light.

At home, I turned the camera on powered by the internal battery. It didn't go to Mode 1 as expected. It just showed the red mode light, alternating with the red recording indicator at varying 15-60sec intervals. It wouldn't turn off either! Waited for 2-3 min and it finally turned off (power-off standby is set to 30sec). Same thing happened either with or without a micro SD in the camera.

Tried it with USB connection to PC. mSetup occasionally recognised it, but the connection was dropped frequently. Then I got an error message:
upload_2017-2-13_23-3-12.png

So I tried the in-camera format routine. That didn't seem to be working, as it sat there alternating the red and blue/red lights for two minutes!

Finally, I got it working again by poking it with a stick :eek: - I pushed the reset button :D

Turned it on with battery, all working as normal. Recorded a short clip. Checked card - just one file "MOBIUS0000001", so the format DID work. Reformatted it again to make sure everything was ok. Card is 32GB Transcend 400x

So, it appears to be working now. I've no idea what caused it to stop functioning normally, so I'm concerned it could happen again :( This experience has also dented my confidence in the M2's reliability. At least it has a recording indicator so I could see that something was wrong.

Thats the same i got on the very first day with the M2, never seen it since then.

Thats the same i got on the very first day with the M2, never seen it since then.
I've never had to reset my M1. I suppose it's useful that there is a reset option.

Still no idea what caused it to malfunction like that. I'm going to be watching that little red light even more closely for the next few days....

I've been using my M2 as a rear-facing camera for about a month. Auto power-on & off with external power from a 12v-to-USB adapter. Recording indicator enabled to check that it's working.

Over the weekend it was working as normal for three journeys, and recorded the last file as normal. On the next trip I noticed the red led was not flashing. It was solid, and stayed like that for 5 minutes, before going off.

Without messing about removing the camera etc, I turned off the car at the next set of lights, waited 30sec or so, and turned on the engine. Same thing. 5 minutes of solid red light, then off. Checked the card at home and it had not been recording anything during the solid light.

At home, I turned the camera on powered by the internal battery. It didn't go to Mode 1 as expected. It just showed the red mode light, alternating with the red recording indicator at varying 15-60sec intervals. It wouldn't turn off either! Waited for 2-3 min and it finally turned off (power-off standby is set to 30sec). Same thing happened either with or without a micro SD in the camera.

Tried it with USB connection to PC. mSetup occasionally recognised it, but the connection was dropped frequently. Then I got an error message:
View attachment 29173

So I tried the in-camera format routine. That didn't seem to be working, as it sat there alternating the red and blue/red lights for two minutes!

Finally, I got it working again by poking it with a stick :eek: - I pushed the reset button :D

Turned it on with battery, all working as normal. Recorded a short clip. Checked card - just one file "MOBIUS0000001", so the format DID work. Reformatted it again to make sure everything was ok. Card is 32GB Transcend 400x

So, it appears to be working now. I've no idea what caused it to stop functioning normally, so I'm concerned it could happen again :( This experience has also dented my confidence in the M2's reliability. At least it has a recording indicator so I could see that something was wrong.

I experienced similar problems early on with the M2. In fact, at one point the camera apparently corrupted a brand new, out of the package, Transcend 400x 32 GB card when this happened. The card was unrecoverable, although I speculate it "may" have been a defective card to begin with. My understanding has been that the developer is aware of this "freezing" problem and that it was resolved in the most recent firmware release. With the latest firmware(s) I've not encountered this issue again.

The issue is likely that the firmware is stuck in a continuous loop. This can apparently happen normally under certain circumstances and is even mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the M2 Manual. If this problem persists, disconnect the battery (or super-cap) and reconnect again after waiting 30 seconds. Repeat the reset procedure if necessary. If it happens more than occasionally try a different memory card. Perhaps there may be some other issue lurking with the M2. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I experienced similar problems early on with the M2. In fact, at one point the camera apparently corrupted a brand new, out of the package, Transcend 400x 32 GB card when this happened. The card was unrecoverable, although I speculate it "may" have been a defective card to begin with. My understanding has been that the developer is aware of this "freezing" problem and that it was resolved in the most recent firmware release. With the latest firmware(s) I've not encountered this issue again.

The issue is likely that the firmware is stuck in a continuous loop. This can apparently happen normally under certain circumstances and is even mentioned in the troubleshooting section of the M2 Manual. If this problem persists, disconnect the battery (or super-cap) and reconnect again after waiting 30 seconds. Repeat the reset procedure if necessary. If it happens more than occasionally try a different memory card. Perhaps there may be some other issue lurking with the M2. Time will tell.
This is the first time I have encountered this issue, and I'm running the latest firmware on my M2. It did behave as though the firmware was stuck in a loop. So far this week it has been operating as normal. I'll pull out the card and review it at the weekend.

Is the M2 stable on the latest firmware ? Where is the best place to buy latest version with latest firmware ?

Is the M2 stable on the latest firmware ? Where is the best place to buy latest version with latest firmware ?

Yes, it's indeed quite "stable" but it needs some further "kinks" worked out.

Perhaps the best place to buy the Mobius 2 is Eletoponline365, the manufacturer's eBay presence. A Mobius 2 should arrive with the latest firmware but if for some reason it doesn't you can always download the latest version from THIS link and easily install it yourself within a few minutes.

Last edited:
This is the first time I have encountered this issue, and I'm running the latest firmware on my M2. It did behave as though the firmware was stuck in a loop. So far this week it has been operating as normal. I'll pull out the card and review it at the weekend.
Look forward to see your review on updated M2.

So my M2 stopped working again today :(
It was recording normally, then I noticed the red light was solid. This time it turned off OK with the power button, after removing it from the car. Turned it on, and it seemed to be OK again.

Checked footage at home. Looks like the M2 got confused when I turned the car engine off just as the M2 was looping onto the next clip. The last recording is only 2 seconds long. The M2 did not record any of the following 2 trips, which is when I noticed the red light.

Another dent in my confidence in this little camera's reliability :confused:

Back