Street Guardian SG9665GC good for parking recording? Better alternates?

dman81

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

Newbie here, and first post. Just want to start off by saying what an excellent board, tons of information. I been doing some reading and I really like the street guardian SG9665GC, the quality looks good. However, I am a little concerned since it doesn't a set parking mode function. I read one can set a setting to loop back after a certain time. I'm not too clear on that. If anyone has any recommendations or alternate recommendations to the street guardian that would be great. Within the last year and half, our SUV has been damaged in parking lots. Last week was the third time and it's time we invest in a good camera unit.

a good camera when driving and a good camera for parking are two different cameras, heat is the enemy of electronics and when you want to run a camera in a parked car in summer you'll generate a lot of heat, that's why you see the Korean cameras which are targeted toward parking mode use all run low bitrate to try and combat heat issues, the downside is they don't always work too well when driving, fast moving scenes, difficult lighting etc and they can turn into a pixelated mess

Say I were to hard wire the camera, what would be the ideal setting to have it run 24/7?

Say I were to hard wire the camera, what would be the ideal setting to have it run 24/7?

I wouldn't suggest running any camera 24/7, the closer a camera is to the window the more this is an issue, you'll easily exceed the operating temperature of the components

I run a Mobius with capacitors 24/7 in upstate SC where summers can get pretty hot. It's out of the direct sunlight in a closed van and has not given me any problems for well over a year now. It's not good for any cam to be used this way as it goes well beyond their design parameters, nor is the continuous draw on the car battery ideal but a few others also do it with this cam, and I think a few do it with the SG9665GC.

You are on your own attempting this and probably voiding all warranties so I can't 'officially' recommend it.

Phil

how's about a CCTV camera installing in your house and aiming into your garage ?

Koreans often put protective visors over the DVR if it heats up
hav't photo now but iv try to find...

So, the bitrate needs to be reduced in the conditions of parking, not traffic. So korean parking modes have timelaps, black-and-white recording and special low bitrate on parking.

I think best option for parking mode is remote lens camera solution where the main unit can be hidden away from direct sunlight (under seat, glove box etc.). Unfortunately there are no good parking mode remote lens dashcams out there yet which are based on supercaps and have fully functioning auto-parking option. Maybe closest is SGZC12RC but it also has its own pros / cons like all dashcams.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Back