ThiEye Dual Battery Charger

bob santos

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi! I had just placed an order for a T5e, just couldn't resist the many good results and the many good things everybody said about this handsome little cam.

I was wondering, is the Dual Battery Charger by ThiEye compatible with T5e batteries? Has anybody bought and tried them? Reason is very simple, I don't think it's a good idea charging with the battery inside the cam body for few simple reasons:

1. charging will make the battery goes warm, and this heat will spread inside the cam body, which isn't good for the components in the long run.

2. assuming your charging with a powerbank, I am not sure if the unit is still usable during charging and if not, one has to wait a pretty long time for the battery to charge-up. Even assuming it is usable during charging, I wouldn't use it simply because charging will create heat and operating at the sametime will produce more heat and therefore will likely cause the unit to explode or damage, just like some mobile phones.

I am pretty sure someone must have tried the t5e battery on the dual battery charger by now, although in their website, the charger is compatible only with their i60 & i30 cams. And again from their website under the Accessories section, both the pictures of the battery for i60 & t5e look exactly the same, see the screenshot below. So I am wondering if anybody has tried it out and let's hear some replies please, you would greatly help a lot of us.

Taking further, that would be a HUGE BUMMER if they aren't compatible, afterall all of these are all similar action cams.

So big thanks for any replies here.

Attachments

• thieye batteries.JPG
    thieye batteries.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
Not compatible ...
* Battery
* Waterproof case (cam is about 2mm bigger than other similar action cams)
* Will need a special charger, not released (as far as I know?)

That's what I am afraid of. I have written to ThiEye but no reply thus far.

Thanks for the info.

I am thinking, if both the i30/i60 and the T5e has similar charging pins position, it can be charged by the Dual Battery charger, perhaps by modifying the slot size of the charger if it proves to be smaller in size compared to the t5e battery.

I am thinking, if both the i30/i60 and the T5e has similar charging pins position, it can be charged by the Dual Battery charger, perhaps by modifying the slot size of the charger if it proves to be smaller in size compared to the t5e battery.
Hi Bob,
The width and pins same as SJCAM charger, battery is just a bit longer. Only a thin bit at the correct end you can easily cut out and fit the ThiEYE T5e battery without effecting the charger circuits. Just going to do one slot.

Hi Bob,
The width and pins same as SJCAM charger, battery is just a bit longer. Only a thin bit at the correct end you can easily cut out and fit the ThiEYE T5e battery without effecting the charger circuits. Just going to do one slot.

Thanks for the great info Aussie Kev!

Are you using this yourself? Perhaps you like to post some photos of your mod? Can you point us to which SJCAM charger? Thanks!

Thanks for the great info Aussie Kev!

Are you using this yourself? Perhaps you like to post some photos of your mod? Can you point us to which SJCAM charger? Thanks!
Hi Bob,
Not yet, my ThiEYE arrived faulty but checked the battery for size and fit.
Click on this LINK to the charger I will use, strong hard plastic on the end to cut away without any major loss of strength. Model # CD-DX06 charger from GearBest.

NOTE - only one slot needs cutting as the second slot has connection pins that are at the opposite end and obviously battery will not fit.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,
Not yet, my ThiEYE arrived faulty but checked the battery for size and fit.
Click on this LINK to the charger I will use, strong hard plastic on the end to cut away without any major loss of strength. Model # CD-DX06 charger from GearBest.

NOTE - only one slot needs cutting as the second slot has connection pins that are at the opposite end and obviously battery will not fit.

Did you get your t5e from Gearbest?

Did you get your t5e from Gearbest?
Yes, it arrived but ...

The UP button does not work. Feels like there is no switch on the actual circuit board. Button just flops in/out. All else OK but

* The black box had no security stickers to cut (seen in some "unboxing" vids.
* There was no plastic on the LCD screen, was on lens though.
* Finger marks all over LCD screen
* Accessories box was torn and damaged slightly
* Batteries were fully charged, probably OK but certainly a first for me.

Makes me think it is a returned as a faulty item and GearBest simply turned it on, tried a few things and assumed OK, wrapped it up and sent to some sucker ... ME
Try to go from 1080p30 UP one to 1080p60, have to scroll down for a ton of resolutions alone let alone the menu options! What about Fast Forward in replay for example? NOT AVAILABLE at all.
BROKEN ... NOT HAPPY

Yes, it arrived but ...

The UP button does not work. Feels like there is no switch on the actual circuit board. Button just flops in/out. All else OK but

* The black box had no security stickers to cut (seen in some "unboxing" vids.
* There was no plastic on the LCD screen, was on lens though.
* Finger marks all over LCD screen
* Accessories box was torn and damaged slightly
* Batteries were fully charged, probably OK but certainly a first for me.

Makes me think it is a returned as a faulty item and GearBest simply turned it on, tried a few things and assumed OK, wrapped it up and sent to some sucker ... ME
Try to go from 1080p30 UP one to 1080p60, have to scroll down for a ton of resolutions alone let alone the menu options! What about Fast Forward in replay for example? NOT AVAILABLE at all.
BROKEN ... NOT HAPPY

Oh ya i knew that feeling and it sucks. Mine was shipped today, after a waiting period of a week. Hopefully getting it sometime next week(sweat..!)

Oh ya i knew that feeling and it sucks. Mine was shipped today, after a waiting period of a week. Hopefully getting it sometime next week(sweat..!)
Same, took about a week to finally be shipped from China, pretty fast after that BUT 4 days from the Sydney Depot to get 20kms to local post office because they "missed me" at home. NONSENSE, there were 3 people here at 7:30am ... Australian Couriers are awful. They see a home unit and run. Intercoms and 3 flights of stairs are beyond their abilities!
I got the bad one, at least your odds are much better now! LOL

I've received my t5e just moments ago and after charging the batteries, it's live now:)

Best thing is I don't have to do a fw upgrade as it's already been done, see the attached photo.tmp_3609-IMG-20170328-WA00001189005962.jpg

First Hand impressions after unboxing:

1. The T5e feels really solid in the hands. When housed in its casing the whole package feels rock solid. Have a nice good quality.

2. Lots of menu for such a small unit but very very easy navigation, a no brainer there.

3. Lcd screen absorbs finger-prints like crazy. Same with front lens surface. And there is no known (I have tried searching this for a number of days but no luck) screen protectors available for the t5e so the best bet is using screen protectors meant for gopro units. However this is available for the Lcd screen only and not for the front lens element as this is curved.

Probably the best protection is to place the t5e inside its casing and leave it there during usage until the next battery change.

First Hand impressions after unboxing:

1. The T5e feels really solid in the hands. When housed in its casing the whole package feels rock solid. Have a nice good quality.

2. Lots of menu for such a small unit but very very easy navigation, a no brainer there.

3. Lcd screen absorbs finger-prints like crazy. Same with front lens surface. And there is no known (I have tried searching this for a number of days but no luck) screen protectors available for the t5e so the best bet is using screen protectors meant for gopro units. However this is available for the Lcd screen only and not for the front lens element as this is curved.

Probably the best protection is to place the t5e inside its casing and leave it there during usage until the next battery change.
Hi Bob,

Nice.

Knew it! You got the new one. My Revision TI/UN5 - 170112-V5.0

Menu, will the tons of options is hard to scroll with Down only though, almost unusable.

Can you check if "Timelapse" works (Selectable) in more modes than just 1080P30? Goes "Grey" on all other settings on mine even 1080p60. No big deal though.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Nice.

Knew it! You got the new one. My Revision TI/UN5 - 170112-V5.0

Menu, will the tons of options is hard to scroll with Down only though, almost unusable.

Can you check if "Timelapse" works (Selectable) in more modes than just 1080P30? Goes "Grey" on all other settings on mine even 1080p30. No big deal though.

1. Agree, the up/down buttons are not easy to use especially they are not large enough but again they are better than those that doesn't have this at all, I rather have dedicated buttons than constantly using one or two buttons only.

2. Timelapse Video are selectable on ALL 30P resolutions on all aspect of 16:9 & 4:3.

Unfortunately ALL other resolutions faster than 30P i.e. 60P & 120P and what not, and ALL Superview as well, don't get to enjoy this. But what it can offer at 30p for timelapse video, I am already blown.

Aussie Kev, looks like it's worth upgrading the FW.

1. Agree, the up/down buttons are not easy to use especially they are not large enough but again they are better than those that doesn't have this at all, I rather have dedicated buttons than constantly using one or two buttons only.

2. Timelapse Video are selectable on ALL 30P resolutions on all aspect of 16:9 & 4:3.

Unfortunately ALL other resolutions faster than 30P i.e. 60P & 120P and what not, and ALL Superview as well, don't get to enjoy this. But what it can offer at 30p for timelapse video, I am already blown.
Thanks for quick reply,

Ah so it's not a fault with Timelapse on camera, just a f/w thing. I guess with other cams with less resolutions it is easier to manage.

Yes, the small buttons are tricky but try with NO UP button! Damn impossible. LOL

Where did you buy yours? I was thinking you went to GearBest but you got latest f/w)? Mine is old January version so I wan't to buy another one somewhere else. Don't trust their "lucky dip" policy.

Last edited:
Thanks for quick reply,

Ah so it's not a fault with Timelapse on camera, just a f/w thing. I guess with other cams with less resolutions it is easier to manage.

Yes, the small buttons are tricky but try with NO UP button! Damn impossible. LOL

Where did you buy yours? I was thinking you went to GearBest but you got latest f/w)? Mine is old January version so I wan't to buy another one somewhere else. Don't trust their "lucky dip" policy.

Yes I got it from Gearbest, guess I am "lucky" ;)

I remember ticking the China Warehouse option, couldn't remember the other one but most likely EU Warehouse or something. So mine is definitely direct from its manufacturer in China, which could explain the newer FW. Where do you get your unit from?\

I have checked around prior to making my decision on Gearbest. It seems GB offers the best deal around in conjunction with their anniversary.

I am ordering a couple accessories for the t5e which includes:

1. An outer frame for everyday use. I wouldn't want to use the included water-resistant casing for everyday use simply because the buttons are very tough to press.

I chose one fitting hero5. Why? Hero5's dimension is a tad larger than t5e and I could easily cushion-off the gap. Some mod is needed though. This will allow easy access to buttons.

2. A protective UV/skylight/clear filter to cover the front lens element of the t5e with option to screw-in various filters.

3. A tempered-glass screen protector for the Lcd screen at the rear.

For everyday video, I will be using this t5e on a Steadicam Volt which I have ordered but won't come in till July or August.

Yes I got it from Gearbest, guess I am "lucky" ;)

I remember ticking the China Warehouse option, couldn't remember the other one but most likely EU Warehouse or something. So mine is definitely direct from its manufacturer in China, which could explain the newer FW. Where do you get your unit from?\

I have checked around prior to making my decision on Gearbest. It seems GB offers the best deal around in conjunction with their anniversary.

I am ordering a couple accessories for the t5e which includes:

1. An outer frame for everyday use. I wouldn't want to use the included water-resistant casing for everyday use simply because the buttons are very tough to press.

I chose one fitting hero5. Why? Hero5's dimension is a tad larger than t5e and I could easily cushion-off the gap. Some mod is needed though. This will allow easy access to buttons.

2. A protective UV/skylight/clear filter to cover the front lens element of the t5e with option to screw-in various filters.

3. A tempered-glass screen protector for the Lcd screen at the rear.

For everyday video, I will be using this t5e on a Steadicam Volt which I have ordered but won't come in till July or August.
Yeah, same, mine was GB China Warehouse but old f/w. By the condition, it's a warranty return as mentioned by other forum users, quickly checked, problem easily missed, sent back out. 1 in a million. Still battling but should be fine, just tired of the "stock" answers and delays. Lost in translation etc. Just wish I had the damn thing to use!

Thinking of getting a screw on adapter for UV and ND etc filters soon that fits explorer Elite/SJ8000 stylewaterproof case. Adapter fits 52mm filters, just whether it fits housing. . https://www.ebay.com/itm/262181320474Tried lens covers and push on filters ... example https://www.sunsky-online.com/product/default!view.do?subject.id=429349 SJ4000 size, fits one of I have, an older SooCoo C20, quality little ND 4 filter but does NOT fit ThiEYE sadly. Why I hope the Hero 3 waterproof adapter would probably be the best guess for case style.
Sunsky were the ones that phoned to see if my warranty replacement item was OK. Amazing compared to GearBEAST's rigmarole. No "post back" "add a few dollars to Ticket"nonsense.
Good idea, Hero 5 are bulkier, may work!
The Steadycam Volt would cost me $250 on Pledge (save about $12), but good deals if you can and Steadycam, you can't go wrong. Not sure why Iceland though? Australia has limited options? Iceland? Maybe that CEO guy lives there LOL o_O

Back