A119S Firmware Bug Report

BCHobbyist

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A139 3Camera A129Duo-8WL A129Pro-4K A119V3 A119S-6Vk DCTeam
This thread will be for all past, current and future A119S Firmware Bug reporting.

FW 1.0 , 1.0.1 - Bug #0
when dashcam is connected to computer via USB cable then preparing to disconnect using the 'safely remove device' tray icon it still lists the A119S as 'DEMO1' !!!
aren't we past the pre-production testing phase yet?

Last edited:
My A119S was preinstalled with Firmware 1.0.1 and I mistakenly upgraded to FW v1.2 - 2017.2.22

FW 1.2 - Bug #1
When creating short test clips for each resolution found the Bug.
repeatable procedure:
1) set resolution to 720P @ 120FPS , exit Menu, note the view area (FOV)
2) set resolution to 720P @ 60FPS , exit Menu, note much smaller view area (zoomed)

I measured this interpolated 720P zoomed image and it shifted from standard 1280 x 720 to 860 x 483.7

1.2版本BGU问题,厂家已经在处理中。

Found in 1.0.0 but still exists in v1.2:
Left button increases value, right button decreases one, while it should be the other way round

FW 1.2 - Bug #0 continues
when dashcam is connected to computer via USB cable then preparing to disconnect using the 'safely remove device' tray icon it still lists the A119S as 'DEMO1' !

FW 1.2 - Bug #2
IQ change seems to have overly increased sharpness/contrast. During the day license plates & sign text and thin tree branches or wires have an halo outline around them. Only at night would this type of IQ change be acceptable.
Possible balance by taking the IQ mid point between FW 1.0.1 and 1.2 for the next FW 1.3 release.
I'm down-grading to 1.0.1

I also think that the sharpness is a bit exaggerated it could be a little less.

Here are some samples of, what I think, is too sharp, it's forming halo's around the wires, lampposts etc.

Last edited:
But it is overdone, I hope it will be corrected in the next firmware

Yes, it is. Because users wanted more sharpen videos.Maybe it helps in some scenarios.
Unfortunately, it seems HW itself cannot guarantee requested crispness, so they attempted to reach it with postprocessing.

Thanks for bug report, some bugs can be fixed in next firmware update.

This thread will be for all past, current and future A119S Firmware Bug reporting.

FW 1.0 , 1.0.1 - Bug #0
when dashcam is connected to computer via USB cable then preparing to disconnect using the 'safely remove device' tray icon it still lists the A119S as 'DEMO1' !!!
aren't we past the pre-production testing phase yet?
It is a default name for cameras based on Novatek platform, we changed this in other cameras, plan to change this in future firmware.
It is not easy to change than expected.

VIOFO A119 & A119S Dashcam - Frequency Bug
50/60 Hz Frequency Settings has no effect and useless. The BUG is visible in videos of LED signs, vehicle LED accent lights and areas lit by LED lights.
BUG affects :
A119 Firmware v1.1, v2.0, v2.5, v2.6, v3.1, v3.3 Beta,
A119S Firmware v1.01, v1.2, v1.5, v1.6, v1.7, v2.0 Beta.

50/60 Hz Frequency Settings has no effect and useless. The BUG is visible in videos of LED signs, vehicle LED accent lights and areas lit by LED lights.

the frequency setting only works for mains powered incandescent lighting, LED lights do not cycle at the same frequency as mains power

50/60 Hz Frequency Settings has no effect and useless.
The Frequency menu setting is used to control the format of composite video baseband TV signal output from the A119 AV port. 50Hz sets the AV output to PAL while 60Hz sets it to NTSC. This setting was fixed on A119 V2.0 firmware in November 2016. This function has been tested by me successfully on A119 V2.o and V3.3 firmware and A119S V2.0 (Beta) firmware, as I have an NTSC only TV.

The Frequency menu setting is used to control the format of composite video baseband TV signal output from the A119 AV port. 50Hz sets the AV output to PAL while 60Hz sets it to NTSC. This setting was fixed on A119 V2.0 firmware in November 2016. This function has been tested by me successfully on A119 V2.o and V3.3 firmware and A119S V2.0 (Beta) firmware, as I have an NTSC only TV.
Thanks for the information, given AV Out port (not HDMI) is seldom used it would be helpful to the consumer to change the Firmware setting to read - AVport Frequency - to avoid confusion. Other video cameras have this 'Frequency' or 'Flicker' reduction option which eliminates LED interference patterns as my camcorder demonstrates.

Last edited:
FW 2.0 - Bug #0 continues 8 months later
when dashcam is connected to computer via USB cable then preparing to disconnect using the 'safely remove device' tray icon it still lists the A119S as 'DEMO1' !

seeing DEMO1 suggests the device is an early untested product, very minor but is a bug.

Sadly, I'm with BCHobbyist on this one :oops:. The Viofo A119/S manual specifically says this about the Frequency setting:
Adjusts the camera’s frequency setting to minimize flickering and banding in the recorded video.

If it were for playback only, I would have expected it to be written as:
Adjusts the camera’s frequency setting to minimize flickering and banding during playback on AV port.
Either Viofo messed up both the menu setting in the camera and the description in the manual, or the setting isn't properly working as BCHobbyist reports.

Sadly, I'm with BCHobbyist on this one :oops:. The Viofo A119/S manual specifically says this about the Frequency setting:

If it were for playback only, I would have expected it to be written as:
Either Viofo messed up both the menu setting in the camera and the description in the manual, or the setting isn't properly working as BCHobbyist reports.
The link posted goes to A119. I don't see the A119s on that link?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V A119S 2
T A119S 72
Mtz A119S 57
BCHobbyist A119S 1340
J A119S 0
Back