The list of shame fake 4K cameras and CMOS size

Price wise is this original post still correct ?

and just wondering about the details on the chipset, looking at the NT96655 Data Sheet.PDF (downloaded from here) it states the chipset is capable of realtime 1080 / 30
so does that mean for a cam to achieve 1080/60 it's only option is using frame doubling ?

cheers Grant

MTZ
The golden rule: right now is not possible to buy a real 4K camera under $250.

As I wrote, I don't trust products which contain poor english and for Ele, an internet domain .cc from Cocos Island which is 14KM² and just 600 people. They cannot afford a .com?

I was searching a lot on that page to clearly see where they described their 4K is not real. After few minutes I discovered somewhere hidded at the end of the page.
So I made a screenshot to help people not losing their time like me:

View attachment 22681

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:

and just wondering about the details on the chipset, looking at the NT96655 Data Sheet.PDF (downloaded from here) it states the chipset is capable of realtime 1080 / 30
so does that mean for a cam to achieve 1080/60 it's only option is using frame doubling ?

cheers Grant

MTZ
I think that Moore's Law has superseded that first rule of thumb. :D

It's also easier to sell lots of sub $100 4K cameras than $400 GoPros. I recall when the GoPro first came out they got a product placement in the first season of Showtime's "Homeland" where the teenage daughter had one. At that time the GoPro was only 720p but more expensive than my Aiptek Hybrid that did 1080p.

Technology marches on and companies find ways to make things like 4K sensors and encoding chipset cheaper. There's money to made!

Just found out today the SJ4000 wifi my friend got off ebay is a fake, the footage is god awful and i don't even think there is a IR cut filter on the lens, the colors are fawked up for sure.
Too bad cuz now my friend have developed a intense hate towards SJ products, and it have nothing to do with them but that's just how my friend work.
And it don't seem to matter if i remind him of the Sj4000 he had before that recorded just fine footage but drowned in a high speed boat crash.
He have the same intense hate towards Sony, at least their video cameras :D but he is quick to transfer those feelings to other things, so don't expect him to buy anything Sony again.

12MP or 16MP are not important for a video camera because for 1080P a 2MP CMOS is enough. Maybe for a photo camera can be important. Much more important is the quality of the lens, for example.
Because both cameras are fake 4K I don't want to discuss more about this subject. My advice is to not buy Eken or Compark just because are liars, I will never buy from them.
Try to buy from honest companies like GitUp which they have a great 2K camera Git2 which can record also at interpolated 4K like the liars but they not put the big 4K on the case just to lie and sell. And I can say the Git2 have better image than any fake 4K camera from this thread. But is more expensive. Do your money what you want.

I just have a problem with liars even in real life, I have the freedom to stay away from them and select my friends.

enjoy,
Mtz
Of course, a bit of homework and you can figure out they are not accurate in descriptions. Then again places like Elephone are only marketing what they are told.
What annoys me, if you find an inaccuracy they throw off "We will have blah blah look into it and post on our blah blah" yet do nothing!
Only once something actually happened. Contacted SooCoo and said no way the sensor was an IMX117, it is an IMX078 on C30/C30R. Got a response and they actually changed the specs on their site page! Doubt it was just me but at least they corrected.
Elephone/MGCool ... NAH nothing and not much help. GearBest are pretty good with some things but will not correct anything sadly. Took GB weeks to post "OUT OF STOCK" on an SJ8000 I ordered, first saying delay for Chinese New Year holidays then waiting for stock an as the weeks rolled on, NO STOCK and a refund. They are still available on other sites so why not walk across the damn road in Shenzhen and grab a few for the people who had orders? Lazy and volume sales, stuff these few, who cares attitude.
Basically the liars are the actual manufacturers and the outlets are handed false specs. Most sales people haven't a clue about what they are selling, like car dealers. I've yet to meet an honest salesman haha I'll cop it for this comment.
Domain .cc is like the domain name .tv the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Tuvalu with less people than Cocos Islands. It is popular, and thus economically valuable, because it is an abbreviation of the word television. I can't find elephone.cc anymore. Seems now using .com and .hk but check on forum HERE

Reactions: Mtz
I learned my lesson from this site a couple years ago when I was looking to buy a DashCam. I purchased a "counterfeit" GW1 through Amazon who when I reported it refunded and let me keep the camera. I then purchased one from SpyTec which was genuine and still working great. I don't think of my NAXA camera as a "fake" or "counterfeit" because a company like Fry's Electronics doesn't want returns. It's not exactly up to par with some of the footage I've seen from the ~$200 camera. But that may be due to encoding shortcuts using MJPEG.

From what I've read "interpolation" has more do to with horizontal resolution and not vertical. There are many sensors that can have 2160 or greater vertical resolution but being square won't have 3840 pixels so the horizontal is interpolated. The NAXA camera box only says that 4K JPEGs at 4608x2592 are interpolated.

Anyway here is some new footage shot with the modified NAXA NDC-406. Static shots tend to show off these cameras more. Some things I've learned is to create the videos at original frame rate which for 4K on the NAXA 25 fps. I was uploading ones at 24 fps but that creates a drop frame and this one at 25 fps is smooth. Also this time I didn't upload an H264 file using the "Quality VBR" encode setting on Shotcut but instead "Constrained VBR" at 50 Mbps. At the former the file size was around 1.9 GB while the latter around 370 MB but they look the same.

Can any SJ6 Legend user confirm if it can show video live preview on mobile screen when shooting in FPV mode ?

cheers Grant

MTZ
The earlier quote you refernce that cannot buy 4K under $250 right now - that is a year old. According to Moores law it might be now at $125

So... fake 4K / misleading / different semantics...either way, what do you think of this !!!! :
The specs are waaay up there. Sony IMX117 giving 4K at 30fps - high speed processor too - 240fps at 720p
Reviews are good:
So shall I buy it ??

A YouTube reviewer , also a member of DCT says the T5 overheats frequently!

Last edited by a moderator:
So... fake 4K / misleading / different semantics...either way, what do you think of this !!!! :
The specs are waaay up there. Sony IMX117 giving 4K at 30fps - high speed processor too - 240fps at 720p
Reviews are good:

So shall I buy it ??

Pros: Great video colour and quality and EIS at 1080p60 is quite good. IMX117 supports 12.40M-pixel imaging at approx. 35 frame/s which will handle
4K video mode (4096H × 2160V, 60 frame/s) so 4K at 30fps is legitimate, not interpolated like fake 4K cams
Cons: Firmware is improving, the latest being TI/UN7-170401-V5.0 with latest T5e from GearBest and includes a microphone jack. Other sites stuck with older T5 and T5e so be careful where you buy. Older firmware is unstable.

Pros: Great video colour and quality and EIS at 1080p60 is quite good. IMX117 supports 12.40M-pixel imaging at approx. 35 frame/s which will handle
4K video mode (4096H × 2160V, 60 frame/s) so 4K at 30fps is legitimate, not interpolated like fake 4K cams
Cons: Firmware is improving, the latest being TI/UN7-170401-V5.0 with latest T5e from GearBest and includes a microphone jack. Other sites stuck with older T5 and T5e so be careful where you buy. Older firmware is unstable.
Thanks - I see the earphone port on this one I linked.:https://gloimg.gearbest.com/gb/pdm-...017/04/28/source-img/20170428173051_32461.jpg

More pics of the mic version. Many are finding this a mistake as Sellers are now stuck with "old" stock which will be shipped at existing price with some showing mic version. Buyer beware. GearBest have latest and AliExpress reportedly have shipped latest but no-one knows which AliExpress Seller has the latest? Damn lottery! :snaphappy:

ThiEYE T5e mic hole clear.jpg ThiEYE T5e mic hole.jpg

We can win only if we will return back to sellers the false advertised products! More returns, more changes to win.

The golden rule: right now is not possible to buy a real 4K camera under $250.

Most of old members from this forum know how to look at cameras details to avoid a fake advertised camera, but I want this thread to help all people.
The old trick was bigger CMOS size, for example 12-16-20MP instead of real 2-4MP, but starting from 2015 a lot of cameras are advertised as 4K resolution. Most of the sellers are using the 4K in product names just for selling purposes and most of them are excusing their false information because of manufacturers

People are invited to report all cameras with false specifications, even is only in stores product name.

How they lie:

1. Fake 4K "video-picture". The recorded resolution is 3840x2160 but the video is obtained by 10 or 15 consecutive photos/second and by adding a PCM audio so you will watch a picture slideshow with sound. The quality is much much worse than next category, fake 4K resized.
Usually these cameras price is about $60 and overall quality is bad, no firmware support, avoid these cameras because their goal is low price.

Eken H9 4K original video download, thanks to @Pavle .
After analyzing the video with Mediainfo people should know that the video is obtained from JPEG pictures, there is no video codec used to create a Heken H9 „video”.
The FPS is low because the chipset can not create at least 24 JPEG consecutive pictures in one second.
So when you are watching a Eken H9 4K video in fact you are looking at a very fast pictures slideshow with audio. They are using this trick because chipset and/or image sensor is not supporting 4K video.

Here is a part of mediainfo information and with italic font I wrote my comments:

Video
Format : JPEG - picture, not video ( here must be AVC or HEVC for a 4K video)
Codec ID : jpeg - picture, not video (here must be something like avc1 or hvc1 for a 4K video
Bit rate : 49.1 Mbps (50mbps for such poor quality is wased space)
Width : 3 840 pixels (OK)
Height : 2 160 pixels (OK)
Original height : 4 320 pixels (original height captured by sensor but downsized to 2160 to match 4K resolution and obtain 16:9 aspect ratio)
Display aspect ratio : 16:9 (OK)
Frame rate : 10.000 fps (real 4K should be over 24fps)

Do you think that a real 4K is looking so bad?

View attachment 20062

2. Fake 4K resized. The recorded resolution is 2880x2160 which means real 3K, but the camera is advertised as 4K just because the 2880 is interpolated by the player to 3840 resulting in 3840x2160 which match 4K. For example SJCam SJ5000X is advertised in product name titles on all online stores as 4K even on their gift box, but somewhere on a page is wrote that their 4K is interpolated.
Usually these cameras price is over $100 and overall quality can be good, search for people feedback before buy.

A 4K video recorded with SJ5000X analyzed by Mediainfo is showing:

Video
Format : AVC (OK)
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec (OK)
Codec ID : avc1 (OK)
Width : 2 880 pixels (OK)
Height : 2 160 (OK)
Display aspect ratio : 16:9 (Here is the trick: when a player see the 16:9 aspect ratio it will override the real 4:3 recorded resolution of 2880x2160 and will resize the 2880 to 3840 just to obtain the correct 16:9 aspect ratio)

View attachment 20064

3. 4K cameras with not 4K sensors. There are 4K cameras which can record at 3840x2160 but with 4MP sensors which are not capable to offer 3840x2160 video. For example the OV4689 CMOS which have 2688x1520 active pixels, smaller than 3840x2160.

4. Fake CMOS size, this is already an old trick. Here is easy: if for example the camera is taking 12MP photos resized from real 4MP CMOS, the cameras CMOS is advertised as 12MP. For example
SJCam M10+ is advertised as 12MP even the sensor size is 4MP and at least one member of our forum is returning it because of false specifications. Everybody should do the same because now the laws are better for buyers.

View attachment 20063

5. Fake SONY CMOS advertised, which is usually the IMX117 used by GoPro. Instead of a cheap camera with Sony IMX117 CMOS you will pay for Omnivision OV4689 CMOS which is not bad, it is good for a chinese sensor, but is not a SONY.

View attachment 20413

7. Fake chipset: they can pretend or even print another name on original chipset.
For example the mysterious A12 chipset used in XiaoMi dashcam which in reality is the NT96660. Yi used the A12 code trying to make people believe they are using the Ambarella A12 chipset which is used by GoPro.

enjoy,
Mtz
Every prospective action cam buyer on DCT should read this post and become wise to the false advertising!

Looks like this T5e is best bang for buck right now. The next better action cam Yi 4K+ uses another Sony chip IMX377, and costs ~$US199-259, from what I can find.

$ 339.00 on Amazon and Yi store with waterproof case!
USD $422 on Geekbuying for Yi 4K + that's AUD $570 here!!! Whoa it would want to be good.

A12S - 4K UHD H.264 encoder at 30fps
H2 - 4K Ultra HD H.265/HEVC video at 60 fps and 4K AVC video at 120 fps,

Last edited:
Outrageous pricing,but if you're hungry for the product now, and willing to pay the inflated price ,go for it!
At CES this year in January an Yi official told an electronics website that it would sell for $300.00
I'll wait untill their FW catches up with their product claims!

What is up Mtz?
Remember me?
So here is another problem I have:
I have sold my very low profit camera that I saw is giving me a high size rate video for an 1 hour video (12-13 gb) so I sold it out and now I am thinking on buying another camera.

I was looking at the Hawkeye Firefly 7S.
I need some information on that camera as its a self Action Camera company like the Eken one.

Any info on if its worth buying it I would be glad.
I remind you that I need a front and back screen indication screens for my videos to see I record or not in that price range, if someone here has another camera to recoomand me.

What is up Mtz?
Remember me?
So here is another problem I have:
I have sold my very low profit camera that I saw is giving me a high size rate video for an 1 hour video (12-13 gb) so I sold it out and now I am thinking on buying another camera.

I was looking at the Hawkeye Firefly 7S.
I need some information on that camera as its a self Action Camera company like the Eken one.

Any info on if its worth buying it I would be glad.
I remind you that I need a front and back screen indication screens for my videos to see I record or not in that price range, if someone here has another camera to recoomand me.
log on to elProducente.com, he has 4k camera reviews

Back