Debating some options for rear/dual camera upgrade

998cc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119, A118
Hi all,

Would be grateful for some opinions. We currently have an A119 mounted in the front of our car, which replaced an A118 when its battery died. We still have the A118 mount and GPS on the windscreen.

We want to add a rear facing camera to the back window and debating the options. The received wisdom seems to be to avoid dual camera devices and run with two completely separate cameras.

So I'm considering several options:

1. move the A119 to the rear window and replace it with something significantly better at the front - one of the Street Guardian cameras potentially. I expect the SG9665GC V3 might clip in to the old A118 mount.

2. as 1, but get a SGZC12RC for the front screen instead. As a later model, wondering if this is signficantly better than the 9665.

3. leave the A119 in the front screen and obtain something completely different for the back, a replacement A118 perhaps - probably the cheapest option right now.

4. ignoring the received wisdom, go for a dual camera device, in which case the choice seems to be X2, F770 or something from Blackvue or Lukas/Qvia. While not recommended, is there an accepted least-bad option from those?

5. Wait a while longer for the Street Guardian dual camera device.

Whichever option we go for, I fancy getting a battery power pack to wire in series with the cameras to get some parking protection instead of using a protector for the car's main battery.

Any recommendations for the best way forward?

Thank you.

If you or someone you know can solder electronics you can replace the failed battery and repurpose the A118 for a rear cam, then wait on the new SG dual-cam which should be a very good cam out of the gate and an excellent cam with further development.

Phil

Or a cheap new cam temporarily. I was stretched financially when I got a G1W clone for my 4th cam. Since I already had an SD card it was under $30 and usable even if it ain't a great cam and will serve as a spare cam should one of my good cam's bite the dust . Gets me by till SG has their new one ready ;)

Phil

Or a cheap new cam temporarily. I was stretched financially when I got a G1W clone for my 4th cam. Since I already had an SD card it was under $30 and usable even if it ain't a great cam and will serve as a spare cam should one of my good cam's bite the dust . Gets me by till SG has their new one ready ;)

Phil
4 and counting :)

Thank you for the welcome Gabacho, and for all the suggestions. I'll have a look inside the A118 to see what I'll be up against. Very tempting to find an interim option and wait for the SG dual cam.

I've the A119 up front and the SGZC12RC in the rear.

the A119 image quality is much better than the SGZC12RC but the SGZC12RC has pre-buffered recording. I wish I could combine the two. and they're both powered through the same muti-safer battery discharge prevention device. I'm pretty satisfied with the setup for now. let me know if you have any specific questions. :)

Back