128GB SD Card issues

would imply a hardware problem if it can't work with the OEM 16GB card

Sorry, that is what I was referring to; The F770 unit being faulty, rather than the memory cards.

Update...

So the F770 came back from the distributor service and they tested it and reset + format everything.
I installed the Samsung 128GB EVO+ and still it doesn't work.
It is formatted to eXFAT but it doesn't matter.

The Samsung 64GB EVO is working but I do get the occasional Memory Card Error message and after two system restarts it accepts it. Not the same with the 128GB unfortunately. What a waste of money.

I now need to buy an android tablet to justify 128GB card :)

Hi Folks.
Just installed the 770 2 channel into a BMW 5 Series F11 and initially used the supplied card, but with a lengthy route shortly I purchased a SanDisk 128gb SDXC UHS-1 offers speeds up to 90MB/s.
Formatted it in the camera and currently recording OK.

Max.

Hi Folks.
Just installed the 770 2 channel into a BMW 5 Series F11 and initially used the supplied card, but with a lengthy route shortly I purchased a SanDisk 128gb SDXC UHS-1 offers speeds up to 90MB/s.
Formatted it in the camera and currently recording OK.

Max.
Hi Max,

Please keep us updated in the coming weeks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hi Max,

Yes will do, will be doing a 240 mile trip followed by an approximate 360 mile trip,
although we will initially at journey's end have other priorities, as soon as possible I will hopefully scan
through the files.
I am quite impressed with the day light quality of the 770, night yet to try, also I have currently
opted not to use the parking feature as BMW's are notoriously critical with batteries and to be honest
I bought the cam for its 2 channel features.

Max.

All the "non-working" cards that I had are on their way back to the retailers for refunds.

I have a Sansdisk Exteme and a PNY Pro Elite inbound from AMAZON, both 128GB.

I've been thinking and wondering if the size of the Cards (128GB) is contributing to why the cards are not working.

My plan is, if the Sansdisk and PNY do not work, to use Partition Manager to resize the partitions to 64GB and see if the card works. This might eliminate the speed of the cards as being the issue.

I will be trying the cards in the Thinkware F50, F750 (with F770 Firmware), X500 (with X550 Firmware) and a X550.

RodeoGeorge

Reactions: Gil
Run Crystal DiskMark on the cards when you get them. Amorphous DiskMark is the mac equivalent.

Write speeds seem to be the key, possibly random write as the most important. Sometimes a fast reading card is slow to write. I posted examples including the Thinkware 32GB card over in the other thread you can use for reference/comparison.

Yes, size of the card does seem to sometime have an effect, but it'd be due to the internal architecture and how many of what size chips they had to use to create the card's capacity. Partitioning a 128GB card to a smaller size partition wouldn't affect the card's physical architecture. Won't hurt to try I suppose but I expect it won't have an effect.

Hi Max,

OK Fellas, Here's the story so far, We had a six hour journey in the UK, un-plugged the unit while on the ferry and powered up once we started travelling again,
I have just viewed the recording but strangely enough it retained six hours of two channel recording but failed to loop and stranger still whilst viewing on my laptop, accessing various times of the recorded journey I got a "This card needs formatting before it can be used".
So all of a sudden my files are lost and yet previously I could view and juggle through the files.
Over the next few days I'll retry a format in the 770 and check again, have to say I am well impressed with the picture quality, day & night.

Max.

OK Fellas, Here's the story so far, We had a six hour journey in the UK, un-plugged the unit while on the ferry and powered up once we started travelling again,
I have just viewed the recording but strangely enough it retained six hours of two channel recording but failed to loop and stranger still whilst viewing on my laptop, accessing various times of the recorded journey I got a "This card needs formatting before it can be used".
So all of a sudden my files are lost and yet previously I could view and juggle through the files.
Over the next few days I'll retry a format in the 770 and check again, have to say I am well impressed with the picture quality, day & night.

Max.

Is overwriting checked for all of the folders?

Is overwriting checked for all of the folders?

Currently, whilst I was checking different time slots throughout the six hour recorded interval, I all of a sudden got the message that
the card needs formatting, the card shows as empty while in my laptop.
I am puzzled as to why I have lost all my recordings followed by a " Needs formatting " window.
It would appear the system has done one six hour loop and completed a second six hour loop and then stopped, but I WAS able to view the last six hour recording
until I received the message.

Max.

Another thread says a 64Gb card will give 41 hours time lapse recording in parking mode and 4 hours continuous recording (2 channel). Given a Cellink B would probably last a similar time in parking mode (2 channel) why do people feel the need to get a 128Gb card?
Only difference is that you'd get more continuous recording but I can't see the need for that. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Another thread says a 64Gb card will give 41 hours time lapse recording in parking mode and 4 hours continuous recording (2 channel). Given a Cellink B would probably last a similar time in parking mode (2 channel) why do people feel the need to get a 128Gb card?
Only difference is that you'd get more continuous recording but I can't see the need for that. Am I missing something?
Thanks.

With motion detection it fills up a lot faster

Thanks.

I just timed my X500 (with the X550 Firmware) with a 64GB Card.
In the continuous record mode, with the rear camera connected, it loops after 3 hours and 43 minutes. That is with the memory card set to scheme "C".

RodeoGeorge

So it sounds like 64Gb is fine then if I use time lapse rather than motion detection while in parking mode. That way the memory card space and the Cellink B would last a similar amount of time.
Saves all the problems I've been reading about 128Gb cards too.

Hi.

So I've been reading that 128GB can work as long as it's not PRO or one of the fastest series.

I bought the Samsung EVO +
I popped it in yesterday and no issues.

Today I get memory card error message.

55d4c7a14c166a32d1a6b9e5a31cdc30.jpg

Is there anything I can do to correct this?

I purchased this one and no issues. I mean no issues with the card itself in the camera, if there is an issue it's at the camera side and not the Sd itself.

SanDisk - Extreme Pro 128GB microSDXC UHS-II Class 10 Memory Card
  • Model: SDSQXPJ-128G-ANCM3
  • SKU: 5089200

This is going to be a long post regarding SD Card Testing. If you're not interested, just skip to the next post.

Today my X550 (Front & Rear) arrived, with a Thinkware 32GB Card. It also contained a "NEW" Thinkware USB adapter (see below).
I also went to BestBuy today and purchased a SanDisk 128GB ExtremePLUS Card rated at 95MB/s Read and 90MB/s Write (P/N SDSQXWG-128G-ANCMA)

When I got home, before playing with the X550, I decided to run CrystalMark Tests on the Cards that I have on hand.

So the Cards that I tested, in this order were:
Thinkware X550 32GB
Thinkware X500 32GB
Thinkware F750 16GB
Thinkware F50 8GB
LEXAR 633x 64GB (Missing from the picture, Installed in my F750 upgraded to F770)
SanDisk ExtremePLUS 128GB (Missing from the picture, Installed in the X550)

Here are the Cards Left to Right

czfRv6q.jpg

I did all the testing on my Windows 8.1 Computer (i7-4790K, ASUS M6F, 64GB DRAM)
I also initially did all the testing using a USB 3.0 Port, and the "NEW" Thinkware Adapter.
I have several Adapters on hand, specifically:
Thinkware OLD Adapter (shipped with the F50 and F750)
Thinkware NEW Adapter (Shipped with the X550 that just arrived)
LEXAR Adapter (Received with numerous LEXAR Cards)
ROCKETEK Adapter
SUNPAK Adapter

Here are the Adapters Left to Right

jlMFQxh.jpg

Thinking that the NEW Thinkware Adapter should be the latest and greatest, I began CrystalMark testing the Cards using that adapter.
Things went well UNTIL I got to the SanDisk ExtremePLUS. CrystalMark could not test the Card, and would freeze. Also, the Card would "drop out" (USB device removed sound) and the Card not accessible.
I inserted the SanDisk Card into the LEXAR Adapter, and it tested correctly.
This caused me to question the NEW Thinkware Adapter, so I went back and re-tested the X550 Thinkware 32GB Card using the LEXAR Adapter. There was a significant difference (improvement) when I used the LEXAR Adapter. To illustrate this, here are the CrystalMark results using first the NEW Thinkware Adapter, and then the LEXAR Adapter.

Thinkware X550 32GB - NEW Thinkware Adapter:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 22.232 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 19.503 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 5.431 MB/s [ 1325.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 1.255 MB/s [ 306.4 IOPS]
Sequential Read (T= 1) : 22.023 MB/s