New A119 Flickering LCD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Dual A119 (Front/Rear) W/CPL len's / GW1-C + others
Just purchased two new 2017 version A119 dash cams from SpyTec on Amazon.

At least one came with a defective GPS module.

Sad to report the screen flickers rapidly while using the GPS module.

When pressure is applied to the camera/module , the flickering stops.

I contacted SpyTec support through amazon for a replacement, so I'm sure I'll hear back from them soon.

For anyone who experiences these symptoms , check the GPS module by applying a small amount of pressure to the camera , if the flickering stops, you will know its a connection issue. You can also see if the flickering stops by powering the camera by the built in USB port instead of GPS module.

When this happens I always tell my customers to try powering the camera using the miniUSB on the side of the camera rather then to the GPS mount. (and usually works)
GPS will still function but the power will be stable this way.
This should be addressed with an updated re-tooled GPS mount in the future, but no ETA.

Received a reply from SpyTec...
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us!

My apologies for the issues that you have experienced with this device. To troubleshoot, please try resetting the device. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button at the side of the camera for about 15 seconds. Then try again to use the device as you normally would. If the issue continues, please let us know also confirming your order number. This will help us to look into the matter further for you.

Honestly... I was expecting a little better support from Spytec... I already stated in my first email that the GPS module was faulty and that I had verified it... but yet they still want me to troubleshoot by pushing reset buttons.... Sigh

Last edited:
Seriously is there a confirmed case ever of pressing the reset button rectifying the GPS mount issue, would have expected better than that, new staff member maybe

Just got another reply from SpyTec... They want me to send the whole unit and all accessories in for replacement... on my dime.

I will probably just attempt a DIY fix somehow since returns like this take 1-2 weeks to complete on average and I cant afford to send my whole camera in for 2 weeks and be without...

I will report back if I'm able to fix the unit myself.

SpyTec was not very helpful.. This will be my last order through SpyTec

Thank you for contacting us!

Thanks also for confirming those details. With the issue being experienced, I'll ask that you send the device back to us so that we can have it replaced.

To return a product for replacement/refund, please access the link below:

http://www.spytecinc.com/return-policy/

After reading the terms and conditions of our Return Policy, please click one the link for "Return Authorization Form."

Once you fill out that form and submit it, we will get back to you with your RMA number.

Please write this number on the outside of your return package for a better identification of your package and remember to include all original packaging and accessories.

When shipping the package back to us, please choose the cheapest shipping option that offers tracking and please note that we usually do not refund shipping fees more expensive than either Priority (for packages that weigh more than a pound), or First Class with Tracking (for smaller packages).

Once we receive and verify your product, we will replace it or refund you as requested or as allowed by our return policy.

Is there anything else we can assist you with?

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying this email or by calling us here to answer our Customer Satisfaction Survey and help us improve the quality of our services.
Thank you for choosing SpyTec!
Daniel ,
SpyTec Customer Support

Last edited:
Just got another reply from SpyTec... They want me to send the whole unit and all accessories in for replacement... on my dime.

I will probably just attempt a DIY fix somehow since returns like this take 1-2 weeks to complete on average and I cant afford to send my whole camera in for 2 weeks and be without...

I will report back if I'm able to fix the unit myself.

SpyTec was not very helpful.. This will be my last order through SpyTec
I have opened up the gps mount before. There really isn't much inside you can do, unless you see an obvious bad solder joint.

One of my A119 has this issue. I've plugged in to the camera's USB and that solves the noise/flicker, but it doesn't power the GPS.

One of my A119 has this issue. I've plugged in to the camera's USB and that solves the noise/flicker, but it doesn't power the GPS.
You have GPS turned on in the settings? If the GPS works when plugged into the GPS mount, then it should work when plugged into the camera itself. If it was one of the pins that sends GPS info to the camera, it would think it would be an issue no matter how you powered it. Strange if that's not the case.

I'll have to check, I did upgrade the firmware yesterday, perhaps it defaults to off. I'll report back later.

I'll have to check, I did upgrade the firmware yesterday, perhaps it defaults to off. I'll report back later.
It does default to off. That's probably it. Also, did you default you settings after the update. Do so if you did not.

i have A119S and have same problem - it is my second camera since the first was replaced after arguing with the seller to get me new one. SPY TEC customer service is BAD. i sent them my camera just days after money back return was promised - i waited 5weeks for them to get me new camera which is ridiculous. i got the new camera and it does same thing it flickers the screen and keep restarting itself over and over again, i do have hard wire kit from amazon which i am suspecting to be a case for this but camera was doing same thing on the power supply that was included with camera. it's a good camera but it has issues

That's not how OCT Tronic would handle customer service and support, that's for sure.

Amazon is only good with returns within 30 days. Sellers are responsible for proper warranty service for 1 year. Waiting weeks is unacceptable. What if you get in an accident and didn't have your dashcam recording since it was gone for so long?

Most A119/A119S issues are from the GPS mount connection system which is being redesigned in the future. (not ETA yet) Try plugging power directly into the side of the camera rather than into the GPS mount. GPS will still function and the system will be stable.

Last edited:
It's a real shame I just spent $250 on two A119 dashcams , both with defective GPS mounts.

Now 2 weeks later @viofo comes out with a new "upgraded' gps mount that doesn't shut off randomly.

Amazon seller spytec wants me to return both cams and all accessories and wait 2-3 weeks for a replacement that will have the same exact problem.

I wish I could get my defective mounts replaced through @viofo , with the new non-defective versions.

So disappointing...

New V2 GPS mount isn't compatible with original A119/A119S. Opposite is true as well. V2 A119/A119S isn't compatible with original GPS mount.

OCD Tronic has A119S V2 in stock on Amazon today, A119 V2 coming soon.

Last edited:
New V2 GPS mount isn't compatible with original A119/A119S. Opposite is true as well. V2 A119/A119S isn't compatible with original GPS mount.

OCD Tronic has A119S V2 in stock ok Amazon today, A119 V2 coming soon.

Wow.. so looks like I'm never gonna get an actual replacement mount that will work.

Guess I'll keep jamming cardboard shims in between the mount to keep it from randomly turning off and on

Hi!
Had flickering too, on my new A119 (purchased 2 weeks ago). But, not all the time, just randomly. What I did - just replaced original car charger came with camera. Now I'm using my own, flickering never happened again. Maybe it's all about 12V jack in my car, i dont know, but obviously, i had connection problem. Sometimes just touch the cable, camera reset itself, or start flickering, etc.

I feel even more bummed out now... the A119 cams I just purchased off amazon just dropped in price to $79.99.

I paid $99 each for two DEFECTIVE units just a few weeks ago... now the V2 is shipping and its even cheaper...

I hate to keep complaining but please... Do not order from SpyTec if you care about customer service!!

Back