Loud vibration noise when driving

operator207

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all!
I have 2 A119's in my car, one front, one rear. The front one seems to have developed a vibration noise that is pretty loud. This is not referring to playback (but it s very apparent in the playback) this is while you are driving the car, you an hear it.
I purchased this via Spy Tec's Store on Amazon 9/22/2016 I am not sure if there is any warranty left on it.
The issue and how to temporarily resolve it:
If sitting still, you cannot hear it, if you are on a road with any roughness at all, it will make noise. Think "something in the dash rubbing something else and making an annoying noise" type of noise.
If I push on the LCD screen, it deadens it or stops the noise until I stop pressing on the LCD screen.
Occasionally it will simply not make noise. I thought it might be temperature related, but the noise will come when it is 50deg F outside, or 90deg F outside. Then the next time it is around those temps it will not make noise. It is definitely not an electronic noise, it does sound like (as someone put in another post) someone forgot to glue something down.

Anyone have thoughts on if this has happened, and should I fix it myself, or try for some warranty work.

sounds like it is moving on the mount, vibration at the mount can be minor enough to not have any impact on the video but still be clearly audible in the recording
I thought the same thing. So I grabbed both the GPS mount and the unit while driving. It would not quiet it. If I pushed on the frame around the LCD (towards the GPS module) , it would not quiet it. Only by pushing on the LCD would it would deaden the sound and sometimes it would quiet it completely. The LCD does not feel loose. I am afraid to push harder as I might break the LCD.
As for the mount, it was making the noise you describe, but different pitch. I used a piece of clear plastic from a bubble package wedged between the GPS module and the camera and was able to quiet that down.

I remember someone stating that there is a ribbon cable in the camera for the GPS connections. I wonder if that is moving around inside the case and causing the noise.

I thought the same thing. So I grabbed both the GPS mount and the unit while driving. It would not quiet it. If I pushed on the frame around the LCD (towards the GPS module) , it would not quiet it. Only by pushing on the LCD would it would deaden the sound and sometimes it would quiet it completely. The LCD does not feel loose. I am afraid to push harder as I might break the LCD.
As for the mount, it was making the noise you describe, but different pitch. I used a piece of clear plastic from a bubble package wedged between the GPS module and the camera and was able to quiet that down.

I remember someone stating that there is a ribbon cable in the camera for the GPS connections. I wonder if that is moving around inside the case and causing the noise.
I don't think any of the ribbon cables would make that noise. Either the mic or speaker (I forget which) is stuck with foam adhesive to the top if the SD card slot inside. Possible it came loose and is banging around, but not sure why pressing the LCD screen would stop it. Maybe it's the buttons?

I have the same vibration as operator on my a119, i have taken the cam of the mount and shake it nothing sounds loose inside.

I don't think any of the ribbon cables would make that noise. Either the mic or speaker (I forget which) is stuck with foam adhesive to the top if the SD card slot inside. Possible it came loose and is banging around, but not sure why pressing the LCD screen would stop it. Maybe it's the buttons?

I pushed on the buttons as well, (put my hand over them) no change. It is definitely weird. I have another A119 facing rearward, attached to the hardtop of my car (convertible, but I hate convertibles so I have a hardtop on it :))
No noise from it.

I think I will try opening it up over the weekend and see if I can find what is causing the noise.

I pushed on the buttons as well, (put my hand over them) no change. It is definitely weird. I have another A119 facing rearward, attached to the hardtop of my car (convertible, but I hate convertibles so I have a hardtop on it :))
No noise from it.

I think I will try opening it up over the weekend and see if I can find what is causing the noise.
Might be worth swapping the 2 cameras. See if the rear one makes any noise in the front.

Update: Didn't fix it permanently. It fixed it for a couple hours of driving but it is back. Nothing is loose in it either. I am tempted to use the can of "expand-o-foam" I have on the workbench. :)

Seriously though, I may take it apart further and put fandom pieces of foam or silicone in it to see if I can keep it from making the noise.
Will report back later if I find a fix.

Hot glue is what id use

along those same lines of repositioning the capacitors see my TIPs video:

VIOFO A119S Dashcam - Tips
// timeline // 0:10 CPL filter test // 1:09 attach CPL filter //
// 1:52 paint brush tip // 2:39 speaker wire mod //
// 3:52 capacitor position mod // 5:00 cooling vent mod //
// 5:49 disable menu options //

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist
Thanks for Subscribing !

Sorry for the late reply to my own thread, but I found the issue. It isn't the camera. I had modified a rear view mirror to fit my car. There was an internal rattle in the mirror. I didn't realize I was pushing or moving the mirror when I pushed on the camera. I randomly was pushing on the mirror and stopping the noise when I was pushing on the LCD of the camera.

Sorry for all of this and thank you all for helping me with suggestions and potential fixes.

EVA Foam Padding is now included with all new A119/A119S. This keeps things snug since the curvature of the glass pulls the flat mount over time (which creates a small gap for vibrations to occur)

Viofo should apply the 0.5mm 3M Eva Foam Pad to the A119 V3 before shipping the dashcam out. It's quite fiddly to attach the foam pad to the dash cam. The thin side breaks off easily. As it is a known problem that vibration will creep in over time, Viofo should fix this issue permanently by inserting a rubber seal on the dash cam to stop the vibration. I only had the A119 V3 for 2 weeks and I am beginning to hear rasping vibration noise. It's quite annoying. Surely Viofo can do better.

They are very fiddly to attach. I wrecked one as it stuck to my fingers.

I only had the A119 V3 for 2 weeks and I am beginning to hear rasping vibration noise. It's quite annoying. Surely Viofo can do better.
I had the vibration noises right from the start. Have applied the foam pad (fiddly job) and the noise is gone now. Attaching the camera to the GPS mount has become less easy.

Back