Does the Lightning to SD Card Adpater work for DashCam Videos?

Bradley_1888

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So as the title says.... will it work using apple's / a 3rd party's "Lightning to SD adapter" to transfer video clips direct from the sd card to my iPhone?

some of those card readers will let you access and play the files ok, I don't think you can transfer to phone though, not that I've seen at least

Also check out Dr. Memory on Amazon.

I don't have personal experience with this product but it is said to work well to transfer from memory card to iPhone and vice versa, including many video codecs.

dr_memory.jpg

And yes, The Apple Lightning to SD card adapter will work if the dash camera has a viable DCIM folder. Some cameras, such as the SG9665GC have a DCIM folder but the folder will not be recognized as holding content so that the transfer will not work. At least with Amazon you can return the product if it doesn't work with your particular camera. (Edit: Not quite sure if this is available on Amazon UK at this time. :()

Last edited:
And yes, The Apple Lightning to SD card adapter will work if the dash camera has viable DCIM folder. Some cameras, such as the SG9665GC have a DCIM folder but the folder will not be recognized so that transfer will not work. At least with Amazon you can return the product if it doesn't work with your particular camera. (Edit: Not quite sure if this is available on Amazon UK at this time. :()

for the genuine Apple adapter to work it's not just the folder structure that matters but the file naming convention also needs to match which rules out pretty much any GPS enabled model, the aftermarket readers are better in this respect as they don't have this file name limitation

for the genuine Apple adapter to work it's not just the folder structure that matters but the file naming convention also needs to match which rules out pretty much any GPS enabled model, the aftermarket readers are better in this respect as they don't have this file name limitation

Yeah, based on your experiences trying to get the DCIM folder to work it's become apparent that the whole business is trickier than meets the eye. Mostly I've had good experiences with the Apple card reader but it is indeed camera dependent. If the camera save the GPS files separately rather than embeds them with the video it seems to function OK.

Yeah, based on your experiences trying to get the DCIM folder to work it's become apparent that the whole business is trickier than meets the eye. Mostly I've had good experiences with the Apple card reader but it is indeed camera dependent. If the camera save the GPS files separately rather than embeds them with the video it seems to function OK.

the folder structure is just part of the puzzle, it's the file name that is the issue rather than the embedded data, you can rename GC files and they'll show up with the Apple card reader, the third party readers don't have that limitation

I noticed you can charge your device with this too. (Extra bonus)

I have one here on my desk but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet. I'll get on that.

That would be great. Please let us know.

Ok I plugged in and "iUSB Pro" was prompted to be installed automatically.

A SG9665GC V3 test Video plays but there is no Audio. (just like the other readers)

If you move the video to the camera roll, the built in iOS player play both Video and Audio (just like the other reader)
Edit, Select video(s), Action, Camera Roll.

I'll see if I can get a raw video sample to the Dr Memory/iUSB Pro developer so they can fix the audio codec.

Ok I plugged in and "iUSB Pro" was prompted to be installed automatically.

A SG9665GC V3 test Video plays but there is no Audio. (just like the other readers)

If you move the video to the camera roll, the built in iOS player play both Video and Audio (just like the other reader)
Edit, Select video(s), Action, Camera Roll.

I'll see if I can get a raw video sample to the Dr Memory/iUSB Pro developer so they can fix the audio codec.

Thanks Jon. Sounds like I might as well stick with the iReader for now. Hopefully you can get Dr. Memory to doctor the memory reader? :)

The iOS details page says the developers website is: http://iusb-iusb.com
(but it's broken)

It also says iDissk Inc. in the lower left, so this explains why the behavior is the same. Let me try to contact iDissk again they didn't help last time I asked them months ago.

Looks like there is an iDiskk and iDissk
I can't find how to contact iDissk, and iDiskk didn't respond to emails.

The iOS details page says the developers website is: http://iusb-iusb.com
(but it's broken)

It also says iDissk Inc. in the lower left, so this explains why the behavior is the same. Let me try to contact iDissk again they didn't help last time I asked them months ago.

Hope you have some luck. The domain is registered but the site doesn't actually seem to exist. I notice the reader is sold by a company called 360Laptop Parts on Amazon that is currently offering 55 different products under the Dr. Memory brand name. Maybe they can offer better contact or assist in some way?

Hope you have some luck. The domain is registered but the site doesn't actually seem to exist. I notice the reader is sold by a company called 360Laptop Parts on Amazon that is currently offering 55 different products under the Dr. Memory brand name. Maybe they can offer better contact or assist in some way?

I'm messaging a few now

Back