M6 Plus failed after many issues

David 777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Had an M6 Plus and thankfully failed and returning for a refund.
To not have English voice from the unit in this day and age is inexcusable. The camera had constant issues connecting to mobile phones, microSD issues and tried many different brands of microSD card. Would come p the card would need formatting AGAIN. GPS failed completely, issue with poor connection on magnetic mount and consequently with the poor connection generated considerable heat at the connection. The extra heat from the poor connection was sufficient to make the camera switch off in a well ventilated vehicle on a 24C day when travelling.
Not been able to download the video's from the unit without removing the microSD card and put into a computer is bad design. The replay option on the software is poor and painfully slow to download. The DDpai software is amateurish and spyware. No need to read all your phone logs etc.
Overall a badly engineered, poorly manufactured unit with atrocious phone software.
Going to try a Viofo A119S

Reactions: gcb
To not have English voice from the unit in this day and age is inexcusable.

to be fair it's only intended for sale in the Chinese domestic market, the opportunists though are buying them locally and selling them to overseas buyers due to a positive YouTube review (with affiliate links), go figure

the A119S would be a far better option

Great you have confidence in the A119S as I am clueless when it comes to these devices. I only read the reviews and wanted something with a GPS.
Was highly surprise the software was also all in Chinese with poor English instructions in the box.
Thanks for the reply.

The A119S is shaping up to be a good product, the @viofo cameras are targeted to export markets, not domestic market like the DDPai products

I must say, my experience has been the polar oppsite. It's one of the best dash cams I have had and has been very reliable for me.

I do agree the app could be a little better and faster (become slow after latest update).

I have also been very happy with my ddPai, at least with the hardware.

I don't like the Android version of the app, and notice that most of the video demos seem to feature Apple apps. There is also the situation in the UK with the clampdown on phone usage while driving, where there have been many reports and, I believe, court cases where drivers have been pulled over when using a phone as a satnav. I really wouldn't want to be in an accident and start waving a phone about.

I don't have any problem with taking the camera into the house to pull the card out and download into a PC, but with the device having a wifi server built in, it is ridiculous not being able to connect a PC or Mac to it for downloading. I hope someone somewhere is hacking into the phone-M6+ communication with a view to being able to connect via laptop or whatever.

I'm disappointed in the crap quality of this camera too. I've always had connectivity problems since day 1. Today the camera kept shutting off. I'm guessing from the heat. Can't understand Chinese. Exterior temperatures was only 88 degrees. While adjusting the mount, the cheap plastic cracked in half. Thanks China. Oh, also, I've had the camera only 2 months. What a fantastic investment.

My friend who recommended I buy the DDPai M6 plus and who bought one the GPS also packed it in yesterday. The other issue he had in his truck the 2mm screw securing the ball wouldn't keep the ball socket locked and broke on a bad road.
Pity they sell this stuff on eBay that is not ready for prime time. First time I have ever had to return something in 150 purchases on eBay.

My friend who recommended I buy the DDPai M6 plus and who bought one the GPS also packed it in yesterday. The other issue he had in his truck the 2mm screw securing the ball wouldn't keep the ball socket locked and broke on a bad road.
Pity they sell this stuff on eBay that is not ready for prime time. First time I have ever had to return something in 150 purchases on eBay.
Yup. That's the same area mine broke too. Just split in half. Anyways, even if I install a new window mount, for some reason the camera won't connect to the app after it overheated yesterday. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it's a no-go. I wanted to really like this camera but can't get past how it overheated on a spring day when temps got to a high of 88 degrees and the fact the stupid voice warnings are in freakin Chinese. Wouldn't that be a simple fix?

the camera won't connect to the app after it overheated yesterday. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and it's a no-go.
That is exactly the same symptom. After the M6 Plus overheated couldn't get a connection to the phone again. Tried for two hours from resetting the unit, to trying another phone. Also tried the next morning when the unit was cold. No joy. I am positive a poor connection of the magnetic mount caused excess heat in the unit.
I could not see the weak ball mount surviving bad roads. When I took the mount out the box and saw the 2mm screw and small ball, I feared it may cause issues. Now we know the small ball socket does fail. The ball mount is only good for highway roads.
Looking forward to receiving the A119S on Wednesday. Looking at the videos on YouTube the A119S is obviously a mature unit with all the features.

would be easy for them to change this, not sure they're interested though as they only make it for the local market
Yea it is
That is exactly the same symptom. After the M6 Plus overheated couldn't get a connection to the phone again. Tried for two hours from resetting the unit, to trying another phone. Also tried the next morning when the unit was cold. No joy. I am positive a poor connection of the magnetic mount caused excess heat in the unit.
I could not see the weak ball mount surviving bad roads. When I took the mount out the box and saw the 2mm screw and small ball, I feared it may cause issues. Now we know the small ball socket does fail. The ball mount is only good for highway roads.
Looking forward to receiving the A119S on Wednesday. Looking at the videos on YouTube the A119S is obviously a mature unit with all the features.
I ordered the Transcend 200. The camera doesn't look all that awesome, but it has a capacitor so it will be able to handle the heat plus it has the features I need. It even displays warnings if there's a problem with recording. It's got a small screen and has wifi I was under the assumption that the m6+ had a capacitor after my wife ordered it.

I ordered the Transcend 200
The Transcend 200 would have suited my needs, but no GPS. The other reason bought the A119S can get more out of the sun.
The DDPai is now winging its way back to where it came from.

The Transcend 200 would have suited my needs, but no GPS. The other reason bought the A119S can get more out of the sun.
The DDPai is now winging its way back to where it came from.
I'm not sure I'll miss the GPS function to be honest. After all, I've only had the M6+ for a couple months and most of that time was spent troubleshooting it. I'm hoping I'll have a better experience with the Transcend 200.

Who cares about the Chinese announcements. Seriously!
It's just "hello DDPai" and then after a while "GPS something something". Why on earth do you have a problem with that?

It is a brilliant little camera, works a treat night and day, and connects immediately to my iPhone, first time every time. The phone display is terrific, in portrait you get video plus map, in landscape you get video plus speed etc. I've had many cameras and this is my best so far, delighted with the video quality, both day and night, delighted with the press button for a video clip, delighted with the magnetic mount for easy removal, only takes seconds. (I have a convertible so that is essential.) I do protect it from the sun, to avoid overheating issues. My car is not exactly a smooth ride, anything but in fact, and our Sydney roads are terrible in places, but I have had no problem whatsoever with the mount.

Any time it is hot, (I live in Sydney), I will not leave it installed when parked, but sometimes eg: underground car parks shopping centres etc or shady areas, that parking function is very handy to have.

(I really find it hard to fault the camera, I think you just got a Dud David 777 - which does happen with any of them.)

TTFN

why? easy. it has no screen and when its FAILING you can't use the app.

SO its probably "TELLING" us what is wrong with it but we can't understand it :) hehehehe

mine keeps shutting down on me and plays this

but I can't figure out what that means. it might be "telling" me what is wrong.

got a translation today. I can't believe I did not think of this earlier. stop by a Chinese Restaurant.

in my clip it is saying "High Temperature, System Shutting Down"

got a translation today. I can't believe I did not think of this earlier. stop by a Chinese Restaurant.

in my clip it is saying "High Temperature, System Shutting Down"
Mine said the same. Sorry, I couldn't remember what it said when I heard it at first. I really liked this camera, but the fact it cannot handle moderate temperatures is a deal breaker.

agreed but so far its the only camera I could find that has a remote trigger saves 10second clips and fully autonomously downloads those clips for me when I connect my phone and open its app.

those crucial to me features means I want to try and make it work and the parking mode I really really want as we have had a few trucks "wack" cars in the back of our store. Grrrr not mine yet but I want to make sure I get it if they do.

I am going to try and rig up a cooling fan for it. probably only need it when parked as I will have AC running when I am driving and have no issues then.

agreed but so far its the only camera I could find that has a remote trigger saves 10second clips and fully autonomously downloads those clips for me when I connect my phone and open its app.

those crucial to me features means I want to try and make it work and the parking mode I really really want as we have had a few trucks "wack" cars in the back of our store. Grrrr not mine yet but I want to make sure I get it if they do.

I am going to try and rig up a cooling fan for it. probably only need it when parked as I will have AC running when I am driving and have no issues then.
No I understand. It's a great camera. I bought a Transcend 200 and I believe it has all the features and functions you described.

Back