Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

I'd appreciate guidance to move A119S under rear view mirror.
Somehow, there is not enough space, so I mounted it on the left side
While I try to get behind rear view mirror I got block by black dots from about 20% above
I see that many set A119 under, but how it fit? Or, is my Subaru mirror holder is so short?
tnx
RlzsYx-e1q5ChqxbX4jT6xUxUJSdQbDJ80zUnsb16oA_qXlyFoLUMQj1FUls7ZwaAnB5kUzM5Y7eCLQDFV7SufbG2WUtKjj-VXU4d4jMKL5DFUcQnvrGLOg2q6RwlOISqVoHbFu9fJyed4PI0U9WmaR6Lwm8nfbh4uNZcboMOHfPi8RSdF2OaOQZ8gjKAGNxrSy49KOeLfmIB9jIkZcvcWmMiJpdHF0RsAmI_F39IywSZ3ALb4lD8013NUsk5rAuX7sdML_sm11E95MXCM1YQyQ5IH5bZjXUmZTXwgeiFQNLSAX79Fo2K2-ZC1JjSqjNqxcYbgk3fCHYzELGLfztJ2xSy0vsm2ppqrOx4s3W5UdGQxeRb7tgSI_B4eEpcGTYUI2_v3k-WSQt5T1FfiKZuHTAjKJt5YP2ZMgx1tVOWvU-RwKZU7Pxk63ni4Oz1taSy767aeozJc-H3qt8IGy2WVDJaD-jjTKTBYwtUpggBWSaxoHDeU99IPFxxCTR_MaLM9yEZMsASeHUmHeT-HK8mvrWZgLBcUnCgPF6wfcUU-NwkNkVcjs8byEQZzeUfOQWcLqNndUIIJJOXmZvWP_U-7qk1feNMx1ZGRpQke3h-1Bvza6tUQ=w3576-h2012-no

EmVTVu3Q-SdIDh3yVWv6KEnOd-QbtmqvsofaP-nVfsuul9GMfEY14TirqpQVIxMiiw1sDjrYpurYLzifHHDrUFhoLjWTNawFTBgyyrbjcr30SescsWqMnk3gI8ktwXi7x3Zkodfl_HrfGgSqMplUmVcoLfd6idjRcRukNzH6Y_O6vbhWJB_fMCk_9JShY56OqWtbJ_1oeGQ4FmVY7lYrD1OjrMKi3807oW2XFl_pn61g_Vb6CahLSNsKL-N_vX6BalUpCZ1gMSDish6TQaGattsXuM05fXV6OB6HPxERxxaFV7b756ZQ-WaW1y5v19Sb2sgIp2vTRJyfUEnzw8RsLKJWpDlQ3LQXayRbpTH2vodoyLdAt32ZhDV3nyaxEA23cOJI25WeWneWaLk75tsRkr66pNmsTwUa_a_3Wrv9A4lAzmRSNikagtstkbHCcPiiLE_Kv0wGBHLDzkJ_FdaFC5eSknwnfKOBCmN_zo4UQm8_Xqe5qyNWJ__IC9pI6r7kmixSRtJESUXBDFCO-Hgc0mGBUEx-VfRkur_vDOtVjDLyanx-ju5cEWD-yOB2SCSs8XSUjUqQNXHnDe58FYQnFomFdGCjCODd_F8wKgI2EWvz5RnciBvwww=w3576-h2012-no

So I tried reading most of this thread, but it got way too long, and I'm not sure I found my answer, so forgive me for asking if I should have found it...

I just ordered an A119S yesterday, and I have a 2016 RAV4 with the raised black dots on the windshield, they are on top of the glass, not inside it. So if I'm not mistaken it's not such a great idea to stick something to the dots because if the tape ever needs to be removed, the dots may come with it, correct? And suction cups might not work because the air may not seal due to the raised dots? I read about the vinyl trick, and I may do that eventually, but I wanted to just confirm about the tape on the dots thing, and if it is indeed not a good idea...

the dots won't come off with the tape, suction cups don't generally like them though if they are a bit higher than normal

the dots won't come off with the tape, suction cups don't generally like them though if they are a bit higher than normal

Thanks for the reply... the dots don't seem too high, just high enough to feel that they are there... I'm not sure if the cam will come with a suction mount, so I may find one somewhere that I could use, just to see how it works...

Thanks for the reply... the dots don't seem too high, just high enough to feel that they are there... I'm not sure if the cam will come with a suction mount, so I may find one somewhere that I could use, just to see how it works...

a really good suction mount will stick over the dots, that's something that is very hard to find though

So if I'm not mistaken it's not such a great idea to stick something to the dots because if the tape ever needs to be removed, the dots may come with it, correct?

Ken,

I saw the answer you're looking for in this thread, page 5 I think. The member said to use a hair drier on high heat for five minutes on the area around the mount. That softens the adhesive so it pulls off fairly easily. My addition, if it doesn't pull off easily with just heat, use some dental floss. Just pull the string through between the adhesive pad and windshield. The same trick (heat and dental floss) works well to remove trunk badging and all kinds of things stuck to surfaces with double sided tape.

Cheers

thanks for the reply. I received a thin string in the package I got from CYA. I stuck it on the dots anyway, so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the tip on the heat....

Here is the A119 in my 2017 Ford Escape. I ended up cutting part of the plastic housing that covers the various sensors not present in my model. I'm going to move the camera up about 1/4" closer to the opening just leaving enough room to remove the A119 from the GPS module if needed. Overall I'm pleased with this location. It's centered and with the large dot pattern there wasn't a lot of good options off to the side.

I think this is the best position to mount the front dashcam with a built-in LCD screen.
This center position directly below the rear vision mirror ensures symmetry left/right, while the mounting below the rear vision mirror allows full visibility of the built-in LCD screen and access to buttons.

Mounting the dashcam too high has little benefit on video playback, yet it either forces the dashcam to be offset to the left or offset to the right of the rear vision mirror, and worse - the rear vision mirror almost totally obscures the dashcam's LED lights, LCD output screen, and input buttons...

img_6115-jpg.29113

img_6117-jpg.29114

img_6112-jpg.29115

Last edited:
Another tip.
If you have an asymmetrical dash cam like my Street Guardian SGZC12RC, or a typical Blackvue DR650S, don't center the body of the dashcam - center the lens for a more beautiful video.
In time, your eyes will become accustomed to the offset mounting of the asymmetric dashcam.
You will ultimately appreciate a fully symmetrical video clip...

25cm%20Down%20direction%20(8)-700x700_0.JPG

dr650s-2ch-both.png

Another tip.
If you have an asymmetrical dash cam like my Street Guardian SGZC12RC, or a typical Blackvue DR650S, don't center the body of the dashcam - center the lens for a more beautiful video.
In time, your eyes will become accustomed to the offset mounting of the asymmetric dashcam.
You will ultimately appreciate a fully symmetrical video clip...

25cm%20Down%20direction%20(8)-700x700_0.JPG

dr650s-2ch-both.png
Cameras like that are a nightmare for those who may be OCD about symmetry. ;)

Either the camera or the video is off center. o_O

Cameras like that are a nightmare for those who may be OCD about symmetry. ;)

Either the camera or the video is off center. o_O

Placing the lens itself an inch or so to the left or to the right is essentially negligible in regard to "symmetrical" FOV coverage unless you're off your meds.

it happens :p

It does. :confused:

You've heard my story about the inspection sticker my state requires right behind the rear view mirror in the dash cam "sweet spot" forcing me to place my dash cams a few inches to one side or the other. A few little tricks and the eventual realization that having the FOV perfectly centered is for the most part entirely unnecessary makes the whole business a whole lot easier.

It does. :confused:

You've heard my story about the inspection sticker my state requires right behind the rear view mirror in the dash cam "sweet spot" forcing me to place my dash cams a few inches to one side or the other. A few little tricks and the eventual realization that having the FOV perfectly centered is for the most part entirely unnecessary makes the whole business a whole lot easier.
My life for the most part revolves around details, but those things would be a stretch even for me :confused:

My life for the most part revolves around details, but those things would be a stretch even for me :confused:

I tend to be sort of a perfectionist and detail oriented about many things but perfection isn't quite the same as symmetry. I remember one of my favorite art professors back in college was always fond of saying, "Symmetry is Death!" :D

I tend to be a 'semi' perfectionist myself but when push comes to shove practicality always wins. Not only are my cams not centered (front or back) but they're not level either. :(

Frame 2017.04.01 17-31-10 (0-00-02.592).jpg

Back