What is "Memory Error"?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A119S
I received my A119S last week and installed it yesterday.
All was working fine until this morning.
I did several trips, a total of about 1 hour total time, when after a short stop I started the car, the camera started up, but then beeped, I looked at the screen, it is blue with the words "memory error".
What is that?

Last edited:
I received my A119S last week and installed it yesterday.
All was working fine until this morning.
I did several trips, a total of about 1 hour total time, when after s short stop I started the car, the camera started up, but then beeped, I looked at the screen, it is blue with the words "memery error".
What is that?
Did you format the memory card in the camera? What memory card are you using?

Yes, I formatted the card in the camera. The card is a PNY 64 gb.

I never checked. I just received the camera less than a week ago, I assumed it is up to date.
I will check in a few minutes.

Firmware version is V1.01

I will update the firmware and see what happens! Thanks!

Make sure to default your settings in the menu after updating.
Is there a reason to do this?
What if I already customized my settings previously and then updated it.
Would those settings not carry over?

Is there a reason to do this?
What if I already customized my settings previously and then updated it.
Would those settings not carry over?

you need to reset defaults after updating the firmware, some settings do carry over, some settings will reference things that aren't there and you can have stability issues as a result, in the scheme of things there's not a great deal that you can customise that would be a hassle to redo

I updated the firmware.
The unit now shows V1.2.
It seems updating the firmware did not solve the problem.
It worked fine for about 10 minutes. then, it appeared the camera stopped recording. The time stamp stopped at 1:51 and stayed at that mark. Even though the camera appeared to have stopped recording, the beep never beeped. Upon restarting the car, the camera booted up, worked for about 10 seconds, then began beeping with the blue screen "Memory error" message appearing in the camera screen. I checked the card, even though this message appeared, the camera kept recording for about another 2-3 minutes. then it stopped.
I have reformatted the card, that seems to work, but after several minutes or the next time the car starts, the "memory error" message reappears.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Since I bought this camera, it has not worked correctly for more than 10 consecutive minutes.

Did you default your settings after the update?
I would try a different brand card.

It worked fine for about 10 minutes. then, it appeared the camera stopped recording.
I had more than a few issues till purchased some quality Lexar Media cards suitable for video and formatted FAT32 as instructed by members here.

I swapped out the card, now on day 3 with no issues.
ThumbsUp.jpg

You just happen to be the unfortunate one to get a card that went 'belly up' in a short time - it happens. Where and when did you get the original card? You might be able to either return it or get a warranty replacement.

Out of curiosity, if you have access to a Linux computer and an sd card reader, it would be interesting if you were to run the "badblocks" program on your bad memory card. This will perform a read/write test over the entire memory card, writing several different bit patterns to each block and then verifying that the data can be read back. Any block that fails the test is logged.

(There are no doubt similar utilities in the MacOS and Windows universes, I'm just unaware of their names)

Back