Yi 4K Broken screen

Daido

Reaction score
Country
Kazakhstan
Hi everyone.
I have a problem with my camera.
Unfortunately camera has fallen and screen has crashed.
After screen has crashed controls in the left side are not working and I can't to turn on wi-fi and to open settings. Maybe you can suggest different way how can I turn on option in settings "rotate screen" or Wi-Fi through usb. If I turn on this option then I can change all settings.
I'm sure that camera has development mode to do some operations.
Please help me with this problem.

You simple slide your finger from top to down, you can see wifi icon.

Yes. I can to slide from top to down and I can see wifi icon, but I can't to touch wifi icon because left half of display has broken and it's not working.

Hi, Sorry to hear about your accident.

There is a way to use the camera without the touchscreen.

First download the Beta firmware from the Official Yi Facebook Page (you will have to request membership)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/838989242858914/

Go to Files and it is listed under there.

Install the beta firmware.

Once installed there is an option for In Camera Housing Mode.

Once this is enabled then the single on/off button can be used to step through each of the option and also be used to select them.

It is a little long winded but should enable you to continue using the camera.

If you cant select the option for In Camera Housing because of the screen then post this request on the facebook page and ask if the firmware guy can supply a firmware with wifi turned on by default.

Hope this helps

Hi, Sorry to hear about your accident.

There is a way to use the camera without the touchscreen.

First download the Beta firmware from the Official Yi Facebook Page (you will have to request membership)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/838989242858914/

Go to Files and it is listed under there.

Install the beta firmware.

Once installed there is an option for In Camera Housing Mode.

Once this is enabled then the single on/off button can be used to step through each of the option and also be used to select them.

It is a little long winded but should enable you to continue using the camera.

If you cant select the option for In Camera Housing because of the screen then post this request on the facebook page and ask if the firmware guy can supply a firmware with wifi turned on by default.

Hope this helps

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunatly I can't update firmware, because confirmation button located in the left side :)
I'll try to ask firmware guy about my problem.

Thank you for your answer.
Unfortunatly I can't update firmware, because confirmation button located in the left side :)
I'll try to ask firmware guy about my problem.

is there any progress? i'm having a very very very similar problems here.

is there any progress? i'm having a very very very similar problems here.

Unfortunately no.
They didn't help me.
I've recently sent camera back for repair.

Unfortunately no.
They didn't help me.
I've recently sent camera back for repair.

Hey Daido,

I have the same problem but worse because the whole display screen is not working. I emailed Yi and they replied that there is nothing they can do about it. They also attached scripts that can be run to turn on Wifi so that I can control the camera via YI Action app. However, it does not seem to work on my camera.

I am just wondering where you sent your camera back for repair.

Thanks Daido,

Brian.

Hi, i have the exact same problem. But my luck is that i can touch the YES button to update the cam
Anyone out there who can rewrite the firmware?

(And my camera wasn't even one month old :( )

I broke the screen on my YI 4k and only about 20% of the screen worked.

I contacted YI and initially they kept saying that there is nothing they can do, however after moaning at them for a few emails about what is the point of having a customer support if they don't actually provide any support. They eventually replied saying that they will send me a replacement screen for a cost of $50.

So keep pestering the support people, they will finally cave in. :)

I broke the screen on my YI 4k and only about 20% of the screen worked.

I contacted YI and initially they kept saying that there is nothing they can do, however after moaning at them for a few emails about what is the point of having a customer support if they don't actually provide any support. They eventually replied saying that they will send me a replacement screen for a cost of $50.

So keep pestering the support people, they will finally cave in. :)

I have the same problem. Could you share the email you send the request for a replacement screen?

Thank you

Hi all, that's what I've done:

I bought my 4k on Amazon.
As the screen was broken I contacted Xiaomi over Amazon - no answer.
After a couple of time waiting I wrote a email to Xiaomi itself: support@YItechnology.com
Then, after explaining my problem and a few mails the support induced Xiaomi on Amazon to let me return the cam. I received a return ticket and am currently waiting for my money to buy a new one.

I bought mine online and now it only works when it's plugged in. If I put full charged battery inside, it dies completely. No power, no light. Completely useless. So I contacted the seller and they said they only have 1 week warranty. My camera became defective on the 8th day. They didn't give me a replacement or refund. So I emailed yi tech support but they won't answer me on where their service center is. I really like this cam but i can't plug it in a powerbank every time i use it. Can anyone help me? Any answer is really appreciated

Guys if you cant get a return and are left with a non working camera there are things you can do with the camera to still use it.

You can run a startup script that turns on wifi at bootup, the camera can then be configured from the YiApp
You can turn on In Housing Mode in the YiApp when connected which then allows you to select modes by holding down the shutter button then step through each mode and select the one you want.
You can still upgrade your camera to the latest firmware by renaming the firmware.bin file to firmware_force.bin, this will force the firmware upgrade and no interaction is needed from the screen.

For the startup WIFI files have a look at the Yi Technology Facebook group page under the files section, I have posted a script there with instructions on how to use it.

I cracked my screen when I over tightened the thumb screws on a gimbal, was gutted but still use the camera to it's fullest ability.

Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/838989242858914/
You will need to request membership to be able to access the files area, doesn't take long for them to add you.

On the battery issue, remove the battery (must totally take out the battery from the camera) and then connect the USB power cable to the camera, it should now turn on.
Switch off and remove the USB connection and then re-insert the battery and give it another try. If that doesn't work it's probably a faulty battery, you can pick a new one up pretty cheap, doesnt have to be an official Yi Technology one.

Hi all, that's what I've done:

I bought my 4k on Amazon.
As the screen was broken I contacted Xiaomi over Amazon - no answer.
After a couple of time waiting I wrote a email to Xiaomi itself: support@YItechnology.com
Then, after explaining my problem and a few mails the support induced Xiaomi on Amazon to let me return the cam. I received a return ticket and am currently waiting for my money to buy a new one.

Hi 4kfan,

Did you broke the screen ?
I had an acident and the camera was on my backpack but the screen shattered anyway. I bought my camera from Gearbest, it no amazon, I wonder if they let me return my.

Best Regards,

They're hard enough to deal with when products have problems or are DOA, don't like your chances of getting any help if you broke things yourself

Need some help !! I am still trying to talk with support on how to fix my screen,
I could activate wireless and change camera settings and I ordered a case and strap to use the camera outdoors.
I read some post about a housing mode and that let me to update the firmware to the last version 1.4.0 .
The update was ok but now I have a huge problem. The camera starts with a "select camera mode " wizard and i cannot skip it (it has a skip button on top) . The wireless does not turn on. Autoexec.ash is not starting (maybe because of the startup wizard).

I tried to downgrade as far as 1.0.13 but the results were the same,

Now I am really cut out from the camera.

Need Help !! Does someone know what can I do to fix this ?

You can get a replacement touch screen off of ebay, I replaced mine recently. Fairly easy to replace.

You can get a replacement touch screen off of ebay, I replaced mine recently. Fairly easy to replace.

Hi Hirsti99 ,
I have searched but only found that on the YI store and it was sold out.
Can you send me the link to the ebay item you purchased ?
What was the cost for that item ?

Best Regards,
Carlos Cunha.

Back