VIOFO A119S stopped working

Could @viofo react on this issue, please?

Last edited:
This same thing happened to me today. I noticed that the website says the new firmware can only be installed using a 32gb microsd. I was using a 64gb with no problems before. does anyone know if i can flash the new firmware using a 64 gb microsd?

If you are connecting the mini USB power cord to the GPS base, remove it and insert into the side of the camera instead.

The contact pins between the GPS mount is causing firmware corruption and stability issues. If you bypass the GPS and plug into the camera you'll be good to go. GPS will continue to function as well.

FYI: A new re-tooled second generation GPS mount is in development to enhance the connection stability in the near future. I've learned the redesigned contact connection system on the back of all future productions of A119/A119S cameras won't be compatible with the original V1 GPS mount.
This means the reverse is true, so existing dashcams won't be compatible with the new re-tooled V2 GPS mount.

I had this issue with my first A119s and ended up having to send it back after troubleshooting multiple different things. This was before the latest firmware came out. The day my replacement unit arrived the new firmware was available. I had no issues with the new camera for about 2 weeks. Now within the last few days I've had this issue 3 times. I flashed the new firmware and it corrected the issue for 1 day. I again flashed the firmware and the problem happened again about 2 days later.

I am using the gps attachment.
I am using a 32gb card.
I am using the side port for the power cable.

I have tested using different cards and different power cables but the problem still happens. Just leaving this here for an update as flashing firmware does not seem to be resolving the issue for me. @viofo

This same thing happened to me today. I noticed that the website says the new firmware can only be installed using a 32gb microsd. I was using a 64gb with no problems before. does anyone know if i can flash the new firmware using a 64 gb microsd?
You can upgrade the FW with 64gb card if formatted as FAT32.

Regarding this bug, we are still checking on it, is not easy to repeat it.

just for information I'm using 128GB Kingston card, formatted in A119S, for upgrading.

Since I modded my camera against vibrations caused by gps mount, I experienced no camera hang. But it might be no enouth time call it sollution.

You can upgrade the FW with 64gb card if formatted as FAT32.

Regarding this bug, we are still checking on it, is not easy to repeat it.
for FAT32 do we get that by formatting card with the computer? And not with the cam? If so when the card is put back in cam it asks for a format with the cam.

Last edited:
for FAT32 do we get that by formatting card with the computer? And not with the cam? If so when the card is put back in cam it asks for a format with the cam.

need to format in the camera for FAT32, computer will format it exFAT when over 32GB in size

need to format in the camera for FAT32, computer will format it exFAT when over 32GB in size

What about formatting a 64GB card in the camera? I use a 64GB card that I did the "special" formatting to, and it's working great. BUt after a while, when I want to re-format, do I do it in the camera, or do I have to do it in my PC again?

I am experiencing this behavior, also, on one of the first v1's sent out. Bunch of boxes with X's on bottom, gps seems stuck at 1mph, clocks are frozen, not recording.

I'll reflash now to hopefully fix. I have a few of these v1 units.

I am experiencing this behavior, also, on one of the first v1's sent out. Bunch of boxes with X's on bottom, gps seems stuck at 1mph, clocks are frozen, not recording.

I'll reflash now to hopefully fix. I have a few of these v1 units.
After reinstalling the firmware, be sure to power the camera directly. Seems the power issue while powering through the GPS mount could be corrupting the firmware.

After reinstalling the firmware, be sure to power the camera directly. Seems the power issue while powering through the GPS mount could be corrupting the firmware.

This is good advice. Thank you.

The firmware reflash and reset DID bring it back to life, for my personal vehicle. I'll power it in the alternate port, once I re-locate the device. It's too close to the vehicle's internal camera system (Lane departure warning/steering assist cam) for the plug to fit, at the moment.

I'll soon check all of our a119 and a119s to make sure none of the others have this behavior. It doesn't beep, and the only way I realized it was to see the clock frozen on the screen.

Best regards,
Mike

We have new firmware to solve this showing XXX box issue, will share this soon.
As this is a random issue, not easy to repeat, we need more users to do more testing to see if it is really fixed.

I'll be more than happy to run any beta firmware if it gives into and helps you get to the bottom of it. Thanks

As this is a random issue, not easy to repeat, we need more users to do more testing to see if it is really fixed.

I've had exactly this issue happen two days ago, the only thing that fixed the problem was reinstalling the 2.02 firmware.

More details:

I'm using a two month old A119 with GPS. The camera was powered through the GPS module. A week after installing, I've noticed that the screen started flickering. This flickering seemed to be getting worse until two days ago when it froze and showed XXX boxes. Besides the XXX boxes, the time on the camera freezes but does refresh every 5 minutes or so, no buttons work (but they do produce a beep sound), live video does work but that's pretty much it.

I've tried a different USB cable, different USB charger, powering directly through the camera, only reinstalling the firmware helped.

I will now power the camera directly, hopefully this wont happen again.

If it doesn't happen again, then it is definitely caused by the unstable connection between the base and the mount and I find it unbelievable that this issue was not noticed and fixed before mass production.

I also need this new firmware please.
Got my V2 last week and after one long ride to the holidays, today the problem occured.
Everywhere XXX :(

Any date for release?

Back