Thinkware iVOLT External Battery Pack. LiFePo4, 12.8V, 9900mAh, 126.7Wh

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Thinkware Dash Cam External Battery Boost Couple your Thinkware Dash Cam with the latest external battery boost by Thinkware.

• Single Channel of up to 43 hours (2.9Wh)
  • Dual Channel of up to 36 hours (3.5Wh)
  • Charging Time 1 hour 20 mins (Charges 90% in an hour)
  • Charging Voltage 14.6V / 9.4A
  • Battery Capacity 12.8V 9,900mAh 126.7Wh

Price in Korea around 300$

img_01.jpg

img_02.jpg

img_03.jpg

img_04.jpg

Reactions: Mtz
Looks like proprietary connectors so wouldn't be useful for most people and the price is extreme :eek: I don't see marketing success here even though I like the concept.

Phil

Charging time is really fast but I wonder at what temperature can the 9900mAH battery lasts 36 hours for a dual channel cam. But I guess not many people will treat the dashcam as a CCTV

Reactions: Mtz
36hours dual cam parking is fantastic.
300 usd not so much.

In regards to battery pack I think customers should always factor in how much their factory replacement battery is, not just recording time.
Replacement battery on my beater Corolla is <$100 new with a 3 year replacement warranty so I don't mind putting stress on it
But it's always interesting how someone can have a brand new BMW M3/M4 with a $1200 USD Lithium battery and not invest in a $200 USD battery pack to prevent deep cycling that expensive lithium battery as well as extending their parking recording time

Regarding the 12V plug on the output cable, the Thinkware hardwire cable will work on a lot of other Korean dashcams (e.g., BlackSys, Lukas, Blackvue DR750, FineVu, and more) meaning in their domestic market this battery pack would be compatible with a lot of other devices. That being said, it's easy enough to splice in a different hardwire kit on that output cable as long as you match the ACC/battery wires correctly. Should also be easy enough to switch it out to a 12V cigarette socket to work with dash cams like Vicovation or Blackvue DR650S, but I would be careful with this as not all dash cams will work in parking mode with that method.

As I also mentioned in another thread:

The battery in my Mercedes costs abt 400 euro to replace (a electronics reset is involved)

For 2 years the battery managed to keep my camera going for 48hrs parkmode with voltage cut off at 11.8
but 1 month ago it couldn't even keep it going for 30 mns. (Though the battery was still fine to start & operate the car).

I had it replaced for free (it's a lease car) Now have set cut off at 12.2 but it still gives me 48hrs park time
witth TWO DULA cams running. (this is better than cellink)

I change cars every 3 years so with this scenario I guess no need to invest in 2 cellinks...?

As I also mentioned in another thread:

The battery in my Mercedes costs abt 400 euro to replace (a electronics reset is involved)

For 2 years the battery managed to keep my camera going for 48hrs parkmode with voltage cut off at 11.8
but 1 month ago it couldn't even keep it going for 30 mns. (Though the battery was still fine to start & operate the car).

I had it replaced for free (it's a lease car) Now have set cut off at 12.2 but it still gives me 48hrs park time
witth TWO DULA cams running. (this is better than cellink)

I change cars every 3 years so with this scenario I guess no need to invest in 2 cellinks...?

Agreed, if the car is a short term lease it is less of a concern. We also had our 5-series battery replaced under warranty for the same reason after 2.5 years into our lease
That being said, this is not the best advice as some manufacturer warranties don't work the same way,
We had an experience with Mazda Canada where the battery had to be replaced after 1.5 years and they charged a prorated amount for the replacement battery.
It wasn't super expensive but still over $100 for the Mazda 3. I believe in the first year that battery is covered fully.
Furthermore, dealerships in North America are not fond of hardwired dash cams.
Call most service departments and they will tell you not to do it and may even mention that your warranty can be compromised by it.
Again, not a risk I am willing to take with a higher end vehicle

I hear what you're saying. luckily my dealer doesn't care cos it was the lease company that delivered the car to me
and the dealer just sent the bill to them ;-)

In regards to battery pack I think customers should always factor in how much their factory replacement battery is, not just recording time.
Replacement battery on my beater Corolla is <$100 new with a 3 year replacement warranty so I don't mind putting stress on it
But it's always interesting how someone can have a brand new BMW M3/M4 with a $1200 USD Lithium battery and not invest in a $200 USD battery pack to prevent deep cycling that expensive lithium battery as well as extending their parking recording time

Regarding the 12V plug on the output cable, the Thinkware hardwire cable will work on a lot of other Korean dashcams (e.g., BlackSys, Lukas, Blackvue DR750, FineVu, and more) meaning in their domestic market this battery pack would be compatible with a lot of other devices. That being said, it's easy enough to splice in a different hardwire kit on that output cable as long as you match the ACC/battery wires correctly. Should also be easy enough to switch it out to a 12V cigarette socket to work with dash cams like Vicovation or Blackvue DR650S, but I would be careful with this as not all dash cams will work in parking mode with that method.

Working in Korean domestic market doesn't mean it works with the marker here in North America. Not to mention they are compatible with most of the devices. As Sawmaster said proprietary connectors is not the way to go. You may have a portion of market share but still isn't compatible with a lot other brands. It might be easy for some of us to splice wires and make it work with our dashcams but not all of us are comfortable with wiring. Why not just simply leave it as open 3 (or 2) wire connection and have it compatible with all of the dashcams? I also don't like to idea of having the battery charged with the cigarette socket. What's the point of having a battery that has quick charge capability but charge it with a slower current input?

I was intrigued by this new product since I have a hardwired Thinkware dash cam, but given that the price is higher than the established Cellink Battery B, it would have to have some pretty compelling features AND not require me to replace the wiring to my existing dash cam.

. Why not just simply leave it as open 3 (or 2) wire connection and have it compatible with all of the dashcams? I also don't like to idea of having the battery charged with the cigarette socket. What's the point of having a battery that has quick charge capability but charge it with a slower current input?

Looks like these just come with the 3 open wire connection as do the Cellinks. It's up to the installer to connect the hardwire kit to the output of the battery pack
While it's true cigarette socket is a compromised charging method, about 30% of Cellink users go with this method as they're not comfortable hardwiring or were scared by their dealer to avoid touching the fuse box/hardwiring whatsoever.
It's not how I would install a battery pack but I can totally understand why someone would want to use that method.

I was intrigued by this new product since I have a hardwired Thinkware dash cam, but given that the price is higher than the established Cellink Battery B, it would have to have some pretty compelling features AND not require me to replace the wiring to my existing dash cam.

The iVOLT looks intriguing since it can charge faster (hardwired Cellink = 7A) and has ~60% greater capacity than the Cellink. Always good to have options and competition in the market!

We have these in stock now, it's a lovely looking piece of kit and has a nice feel to it too (It looks like a premium product) the battery is quite large 180mm x 175mm x 47mm by my measurements but as said it has a good capacity.

Can you post pics of it and the official specs in english?

Also do you know what cells it uses?

Ironically we don't even have the spec sheet yet! (I'm trying) A few pics i took the other day are here though....

Attachments

• DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0089.JPG
    DSC_0089.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 69
Same manufacturer as the Cellink B batteries (Egen).

I was recently talking to a representative from car-dvr.co.uk, for a separate query on Cellink B batteries. They were telling me that they are due to receive newer and enhanced Cellink B batteries (I think called 'Cellink B Pro'?). I assume these new Cellink B batteries will either be the same, or slightly better spec, as these new IVolt batteries. I reckon Cellink should still have an advantage, especially if they still offer the extended battery to be attached to the primary battery (meaning a possible 86/72 hours in parking mode). If the price is cheaper, that should be another advantage.

Last edited:
Had a closer look at the specs and its a bit concerning that they include fuse taps with 20A fuses. The iVolt has a max input current of 12.6A, which is a whopper to put on top of an existing (in-use) circuit. I don't see a current limiting switch either like the Cellink.

Looking at the beefy 14AWG wire used for the Constant B+ and Ground, it looks like the iVolt needs be hardwired directly to the car battery and the ACC wire can be fuse tapped, but I dont see a fuse included on the B+ wire....

Last edited:
Ironically we don't even have the spec sheet yet! (I'm trying) A few pics i took the other day are here though....

Hi
I am thinking about having a F770 front and rear and ivolt battery installed. Whats your best price for them please?

still interested if the price would drop.. also not many sellers out there . found one on Ebay who sells at 280 eur. ridiculous especially as I need 2...

There is a new Mini version coming that's due to be around £150 i think but it's pretty much half the capacity but hoping it will be easier to get Couriered as it shouldn't be classed as Dangerous Goods.

Back