A119S glare from light sources

hakuna

Reaction score
Country
United States

Previously had a problem with camera restarting constantly. It stopped after connecting the USB directly to camera. Now, the video quality looks disappointing. There is so much glare at night from light sources and the video seems soft. Is this normal ?

Lights flare like that when the windscreen is dirty. Clean the windscreen inside and outside and then recheck.

Definitely dirty windshield. Those arcing streaks are from debris left on the windshield by the wipers. A good cleaning should take care of that problem.

Here is the result after cleaning my windshield with new cleaner and microfiber towel. The glare still seems to persist.

I noticed some micro pits all over my windshield (probably from sand) could that affect the image ?

I noticed some micro pits all over my windshield (probably from sand) could that affect the image ?
Yes. You could have micro-scratches in the glass from grit being on the wiper blades as well which would cause the radiating lines from point light sources.

Here is the result after cleaning my windshield with new cleaner and microfiber towel. The glare still seems to persist.

Next put camera outside window for reference.

OP,
do you use CPL? Try without it, try rotate it.

take a look at my video, A119S on top and YI at the bottom

both have CPL and as you can see there are glares, but at diff angle :rolleyes:
CPL are set to cancel at day time reflections

...and as you can see there are glares, but at diff angle :rolleyes:...
Looks like the two cameras are mounted on opposite sides of the windshield which then would be cleared by different wiper blades. Micro scratches caused by the wipers would account for the different angles.

Looks like the two cameras are mounted on opposite sides of the windshield which then would be cleared by different wiper blades. Micro scratches caused by the wipers would account for the different angles.
yes, that's correct, a119s on driver side and yi on passenger, both are next to rear mirror

In addition to micro scratches those artifacts could be caused by debris left on the windshield by the wipers. Little bits of dirt, rubber worn off the blades, etc. can remain on the glass and would only become apparent when it causes this type of effect.

It's his camera. Not his windshield. Mine does exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Looks like the camera lens may have some residue on it. Try cleaning it with a good, clean microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution (like ROR).

Looks like the camera lens may have some residue on it. Try cleaning it with a good, clean microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution (like ROR).

Most definitely is not residue on the lens. This was new out of the box blue sticker taken off hours before. For good measure I de-greased the lens with my Dslr cleaning kit to remove anything, that lens is cleaner than factory, Its the camera.

The "acoustic" windshield in my '17 Ridgeline makes for some interesting artifacts - even to the human eye. It diffracts bright points of light more than "regular" windshields. It's not dangerous, but it's definitely noticeable.

Also, keep in mind we're talking about "dashcam videography" here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary purpose of dashcams is to provide supporting evidence for liability claims (and to make money off YouTube). These are $100, cheaply-built, purpose-driven devices - not professional broadcast cameras costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. I swear some people will complain about their water being too wet!

The "acoustic" windshield in my '17 Ridgeline makes for some interesting artifacts - even to the human eye. It diffracts bright points of light more than "regular" windshields. It's not dangerous, but it's definitely noticeable.

Also, keep in mind we're talking about "dashcam videography" here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the primary purpose of dashcams is to provide supporting evidence for liability claims (and to make money off YouTube). These are $100, cheaply-built, purpose-driven devices - not professional broadcast cameras costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. I swear some people will complain about their water being too wet!

Thank for your input, but trying to figure out whats going on with our cameras isn't complaining. As you can see in the video @hakuna posted his is inside his car with lens flare, Mine is with no windshield and it has lens flare where there shouldn't be. here is an example of a night drive behind a windshield; how it should be:

So no one is complaining just because we can.

Actually people come on here to discuss DVR problems, that's what this forum is all about. They are not really complaining but posting negative experiences so that it may spark a conversation with a member suggesting a fix if any. There are a dozen or so members that are regulars here that have quite a bit of knowledge about DVR's

It's his camera. Not his windshield. Mine does exactly the same thing.

Interesting, i try to remember check my 2 dvr's tonight to see how they look.

Just for s***s and giggles, try it in a different vehicle, if you haven't already. Maybe there's something funky with the design of your windshield that's causing issues...

I understand, but lens flare is something that professional photographers who use lenses and camera bodies costing tens of thousands of dollars battle with. If you get lens flare with a $13,000 Canon L-series hand-built lens mounted to a $5,000 full-frame body, you're certainly going to get it in a $79 dashcam. :)

It is simply unreasonable to expect any dashcam to approach anywhere near the quality afforded by fluorite lenses and magnesium bodies. Again, it's a dashcam. The lenses and sensors cost less than a tank of gasoline.

Back