Reputable sellers for the g1w-s? (preferably UK)

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
Hi, I had a Monkon G1W, had very little luck trying to update firmware so I decided to open the unit to see what version I had, was very pleased to find it was a G1W-C, but then I smashed it beyond repair trying to put it back together!! First the screen was broken, then I snapped a wire inside and it no longer takes power!

What's worse is, it turns out I'd managed to successfully flash it with LS388 firmware and only found that out when I looked at the memory card after removing it from my newly smashed cam!! Fortunately I'd only paid £11 (about $15 usd) for from an individual who had no idea it was a genuine g1w-c, and it had a 32gb card with it!

Anyway cutting to the chase, I want a G1w-s, there are several on ebay for £45 and i'm wondering if they're likely to be genuine, from Chinese sellers

(Also I have an Auto Vox GPS module technically for the A118/B40, would that work with a G1W-S?)

Hopefully you can help me @viofo ?

I've just bought the Viofo G1W-s from eBay Uk from estoreoo9 it came within around 10 days from china, yes the a118 gps module will fit, I bought one from gearbest for £4.60 but at the moment there is no way to change it to MPH, and all the programs I've tried it on is showing at least twice the speed that I'm actually traveling so I do not know what the issue is as yet. but the night time recordings is really good.

I'm guessing they're only available from China or the states then at the moment? As long as they're reputable it's not gonna be an issue

I wasn't sure if the GPS modules were in different formats (if that's even possible), the Auto-Vox branded ones seem to be no cheaper than around £20 anywhere online but I've found out someone who lives close to me has the G1W-S and has agreed to try one of my GPS units to see if (and how well) it works, as I have 16 of them and will be selling most of them, apart from the one I'll be keeping if it does work, and the one the tester will be keeping for his troubles :)

I hear there may be a firmware update in the pipeline to sort KPH to MPH

yes not too sure as yet if is the camera or the GPS module, or may be the programme i.e. register view, or dashcam viewer. the camera seems to show the true speed on the screen display on the unit, but when viewed on a programme it shows double the speed.

Attachments

• still gps.png
    still gps.png
    992.1 KB · Views: 7
  • mph 1.png
    mph 1.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
ha that's some difference!!!

The G1W-S is so new that other than outright fakes, any you see should be genuine. These will have "VIOFO" lettering in front (see the reviews posted here on DCT for pics). It's got a redesigned circuit board which only this cam uses so 'clones' won't be as easy to do as with other G1W series cams :) If you buy from Amazon or Ebay, you should be covered with their buyer protection policies. If you remit funds through 'PayPal' that adds a layer of safety too. Look at the current pricing in non-UK markets; anyone selling for very much less isn't to be believed without verification :rolleyes:

I like mine so well that I'll be getting at least one more- you get a lot for your money with the G1W-S, especially in low-light conditions. When you find a reputable seller post here with your results so that other's can also buy safely or avoid a bad seller ;)

Phil

yes not too sure as yet if is the camera or the GPS module, or may be the programme i.e. register view, or dashcam viewer. the camera seems to show the true speed on the screen display on the unit, but when viewed on a programme it shows double the speed.

if the speed shows correctly on the display but it's incorrect in the software then that's a software issue, Regsitrator Viewer is no longer updated but Dashcam Viewer would be able to add support for this model, @traveler would need some sample files from the camera to be able to do that

I'm most likely gonna be buying from either Spytec if I use amazon, or estore009 if I use ebay, Amazon promise quicker delivery but don't accept paypal, however Spytec I already know to be really good

I've already seen issues with Registrator Viewer even viewing non-gps files (mio mivue 508) so I'll have a play about with Dashcam Viewer soon enough

Both are reputable sellers and recommended :) Didn't get GPS with mine, VLC player works good here otherwise.

Phil

How is your cam for saving event files by pressing the button? that was something my G1W-C wouldn't do properly

tried Dash cam viewer again today after doing a rest set etc. on the camera, not to sure what's going wrong but it says I was doing 173mph at one point (278KPH)

Attachments

• dash cam view.png
    dash cam view.png
    837.2 KB · Views: 6
if the 140kph on the screen is accurate, I'd guess its dashcam viewer that's got a bug of some sort, not the camera or GPS

tried Dash cam viewer again today after doing a rest set etc. on the camera, not to sure what's going wrong but it says I was doing 173mph at one point (278KPH)

I'm not familiar with the G1W-S so if someone would send me a few sample movies I'll tweak the software to make it work. :)

I'm not familiar with the G1W-S so if someone would send me a few sample movies I'll tweak the software to make it work. :)
i have tried sending you some footage of mine but your email is not recognised. I sent you a message through your Facebook page.

The GPS module is same as our A118C used.

i have tried sending you some footage of mine but your email is not recognised. I sent you a message through your Facebook page.

Russell, I PM'd you...

just found that estore009 is not selling this Camera to the European market. me and a friend as just tried ordering one from them off eBay. and it will not let use due to our location (UK)

showing as available to me...?

That's not great, I wonder why that is?

on another note, my £4.84 GPS module arrived today from USBEmpire on ebay, well worth its cash, picked up signal in 34 seconds (then knocked an hour off my clock!!) and was accurate with speed. Registrator viewer shows accurate speed too (and Mph) but it wouldn't let me track the map.. I don't know if that's to do with my laptop though, kept getting popups saying errors with scripts every time I touched the map window!

Back