Says it's recording but it's not

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got a v2 recorder. It says it's recording, there aren't any errors. When I put the card into my computer it says there are only files from 3 months ago on it. I tried formatting it from the camera, it does it successfully. When I plug the card back into my computer all the files are still there. When I format from my PC i get "this disk is write protected." I can't delete or add files to it. I've used both a SD adapter and plugged it straight into the reader directly with the same result. Using a different sd card is able to be formatted etc using the same ports.

If the card is bad and the camera couldn't write to it why isn't there some kind of warning? I got in an accident today but have no recording of it now.

the card is faulty, just something that happens that you can't really account for which is why it's always recommended to check your recordings from time to time

the camera doesn't actually format the cards, it resets the allocation table which means the controller is still accessible and the problem is deeper than that, likely the flash memory has failed

what card is it?

Transcend Premium 400x 32gb micro sd hc 1u class 10. I believe it's the one that came with the camera.

Can't the camera tell that it wasn't actually recording though?

Transcend Premium 400x 32gb micro sd hc 1u class 10. I believe it's the one that came with the camera.

Can't the camera tell that it wasn't actually recording though?

depends how the card or why failed as to what the camera can or will do, different types of failures will result in a different response

Might want to add a check in the firmare to look at the sd card and see if the files it's writing are actually showing up? Seems pretty simple.

Anyways, got a better card this time, hopefully it'll last longer..

Hello sounds like the memory card has failed and is stuck in some type of rare strange read only state. No other reports of this but I think it's best I just send you a new memory card. I'll private message you to make arrangements. Check your inbox in the upper right shortly.

Are you using any third-party power supply?

Even the best most expensive cards can fail, and also so fast you will go " hey i just put it in the camera 1 day ago and the card haven't even filled up"
I had 2 hight end cards do that to me ( Trancend ultimate U3 and a PNY U3 card too, and don't get me started on all the other cards that also failed within a year or less )
Most of the cards i have gotten RMAed have been performing good after that.
Anyway the Trancend 400 X cards are good cards, and you are in "bed" with a good dashcam brand, so if your camera are fairly new then things will be taken care off. :cool:

So shopping for memory cards always buy local B&M store, or on your local Amazon, i have RMAed a few VIA Amazon and it is a outright pleasure so far, and that's for both fulfilled/sold by Amazon and just stores selling on amazon.

In dashcameras like the 9665GC in most cases by far the weak link is the memory card, no matter how fine a card it is.

Sadly failure to record alarm from the camera is rare on most dashcams, but hard core users are touting this as a major issue, and i am sure serious brands have this in mind.

But it is also a matter of what the hardware and its SDK support.

Good thing to do is take a look at the SD card once in a while, normally a SD card dying will drop little hints like corrupted or missing files ( most likely last file in driving session ) for a while before it totally fail.
Look for time/date stamp on files match your driving of lately, try to see if some files can launch in your favorite PC or dashcam player.
You could also let registrator viwer load the files, it will list any corrupted files too, and it will do so automatic, just put sd card in card reader, launch registrator viewer and it will then scan for new files and find your SD card and all the files on it.

It should not take more than 5 minutes to verify a 64Gb SD card manually like i do myself once in a while ( every month or two as i drive very little )

Last edited:
I understand cards fail, hardware always fails eventually. The camera needs to handle that failure better though. Check to see if the files are actually showing up on the card, alert if they are not.

In my particular case, the driver was in the inside lane of the traffic circle and tried to exit illegally, but I have no way to prove that and she denies it.

If the camera would have noticed nothing was being written correctly and alerted me (back in December) I wouldn't be in this position :)

I strongly agree. They say the lack of alert is a hardware limitation. Hopefully future products will not suffer from that problem.

some of the new models will have audible alert if the camera is not writing to card as the chipset will support that, there are still some situations the camera can't detect (like when you have a fake card the camera is writing but creating garbage due to the way the card is configured) so it can depend on what type of failure the card has so it's always good practice to be checking your recordings on some kind of regular basis but the most common scenarios of non recording will be covered

As long as we are moving forward im okay wit it, besides i often have to get a hold of some of the card in some of my cameras as i also use my cameras to expose the idiots i encounter on youtube.

But if you just use the dashcam as its main purpose, and just take what ever litterateur you get wit the camera as "thats it" then you could be heading for grief down the road.

Some new cameras now claim "format free" and what not, but to be honest i would not trust that.

But using time on such things are easy for me, i don't have a wife - kids - a job, and some would say a life :D and most other people just want 1 action and then never have to deal with that again or at least not before that day when they are forced to deal with something again.

I understand cards fail, hardware always fails eventually

A couple of years ago I put a 256 gigabyte SSD in my laptop and when it fails I am prepared with backup software on a new drive.

notice that some of these 'format free' models have a lot of grief with different brands of memory cards

What I have learned on this forum is that the occasional format is paramount like a service on a car or computer and must be done.

Format free is rubbish and can only lead to compatibility issues not to mention corruption with potential hacking software.

Back