Can anyone Identify the make of this dash cam? It's about 2.5" longThanks

Thanks very much for your reply. Can you please explain further as I don't fully understand what a 'public tooling' model is and what it was used for. Thanks.

Nobody owns copyrights on the design, and whoever wants to manufacture the camera can do so to whatever standards they please with any variations they want as well. So your cam could have been made by any of a dozen companies at different factories with different parts and different software. Only by checking the firmware version can anybody tell what you've got, and then none of us know all the versions of every cam.

Phil

Nobody owns copyrights on the design, and whoever wants to manufacture the camera can do so to whatever standards they please with any variations they want as well. So your cam could have been made by any of a dozen companies at different factories with different parts and different software. Only by checking the firmware version can anybody tell what you've got, and then none of us know all the versions of every cam.

Phil

someone will own the design but they are rarely registered for copyright, basically what public tooling means is a design house makes the initial design and tooling, often in conjunction with a software design house and they offer the product to any factory that wants to buy the basic components and add the rest to make a complete product, put it all together and assemble and market the product, if the design proves to be popular more factories will buy it and try selling it also, their usual method to try and get people to buy is to offer it cheaper than others, no surprises how this turns out, this can often lead to even cheaper versions being produced by smaller suppliers/factories etc that see it is popular and also want to get in on the action, lots of popular models that have shown potential have been ruined by this approach as the copies of copies start appearing in the market, this type of product very quickly ends up being unsupported due to a confusing number of suppliers and hardware varients that all look the same and are most often untraceable back to their source

the two big losers in this whole situation are the end user, who ends up with a hit and miss product, and the product category as a whole which ends up tarnished by the amount of low quality product in circulation that it gets judged by

Thank you all for your replies. The cam was already fitted to a nearly new Toyota so I guess it was fitted at the factory as it's all wired in. I was hoping to find the brand so I could look up a operators manual for it as I've not used it yet- although it does light up when I switch it on. I suppose the four buttons will be easy enough to work out and I'm guessing that that's the sim card on the end with a reset(?) button next to it but I think I'm going to have to use tweezers to extract the sim card as I can't get a grip on it with my fingers. Thanks for your help.

push the card in and it will click and then pop out, make sure you only do this when it is turned off

(...) I'm guessing that that's the sim card on the end with a reset(?) button next to it but I think I'm going to have to use tweezers to extract the sim card as I can't get a grip on it with my fingers.
It doesn't use a SIM card, it uses a micro SD card, and I don't think that's the reset button. No manufacturer would put an external reset button that could be accidentally pressed, let alone right next to the micro SD card slot. It's not very visible in the picture but it seems to have an M, probably the menu button, but it could also be the WiFi button, since the camera doesn't have a screen.

push the card in and it will click and then pop out, make sure you only do this when it is turned off
You were absolutely right of course. Many thanks.

It doesn't use a SIM card, it uses a micro SD card, and I don't think that's the reset button. No manufacturer would put an external reset button that could be accidentally pressed, let alone right next to the micro SD card slot. It's not very visible in the picture but it seems to have an M, probably the menu button, but it could also be the WiFi button, since the camera doesn't have a screen.

Yes of course you were right it is a micro SD card although the button does say Reset next to it. Thanks for your reply.

(...) the button does say Reset next to it.
Weird. Never seen a dashcam with a protruding reset button. It's like the camera is asking to be accidentally reset all the time, unless there's a time delay between pressing the button and the actual reset.

My ancient GPS has an exposed reset button, but it's not an issue- for it to work, the unit must be remotely powered, turned on, and have the button depressed for at least 15 seconds It's on the back where I can't envision it ever happening accidentally under those needed conditions without the operator being utterly stupid :eek: It's good enough to handle above average stupid because I haven't had a problem :D:p;)

Maybe this one works similarly?

Phil

the camera in question is on Aliexpress if you wanted to find it, not suggesting that's a good idea, just pointing out that it does sell there

I probably have the details somewhere if not deleted already from one of the many 'hope to be your trusted supplier' emails we constantly get

Can anybody help me identify this camera, I am looking for some form of instructions on how to operate the wifi.
img_1168-jpg.29965

On my dashcam, as well as many other SD card devices, the card sometimes pops out quickly and I have to search for it. I found if I put a piece of tape on the end of the card to use as a tab I can just pull the card out without losing it.

Back