Techno-numpty needs help please.

Geoff Blamey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 9665GC is 2 years old. It is alternately mounted in my car and motorhome. Today I took it out of the car and into the MH ready for forthcoming trip. Decided to check it was working OK. The screen says Card Full. That message came up last year, but I just assumed it meant it would record over the old stuff. I now see no new recordings since May 2016! I've deleted those recordings with my MacBook (sent them to Trash), but when I put the card back in the cam it still says Card Full. Record light flashes OK. Card is Kingston 32GB which I assume came with the cam or was recommended, I forget.
Can someone please suggest in words of one syllable how I should proceed? If I need to format the card, can someone tell me how to do that? My user manual is for 9665GM which was all that was available at the time.
I'm guilty of a fit-and-forget attitude, but it's worrying that potential mishaps on the road would not have been recorded. Thanks for any help.

That's an old bug fixed in newer firmware. You need to update your very old firmware.

Full detailed User manual and latest firmware is at

HTTPS://StreetGuardian.info/support

You might also have a failing card so check it with h2wtest from the same support page.

1. to update the firmware
2. Perhaps the card died (put to test a different memory card)

Thanks for the fast response.

Given that my cam is from 2015, would that be V1? So I'd need the V1 update?

ser no is SB 150500086

Thanks.

Thanks for the fast response.

Given that my cam is from 2015, would that be V1? So I'd need the V1 update?

ser no is SB 150500086

Thanks.

Yes, you need update for v1.

My 9665GC is 2 years old. It is alternately mounted in my car and motorhome. Today I took it out of the car and into the MH ready for forthcoming trip. Decided to check it was working OK. The screen says Card Full. That message came up last year, but I just assumed it meant it would record over the old stuff. I now see no new recordings since May 2016! I've deleted those recordings with my MacBook (sent them to Trash), but when I put the card back in the cam it still says Card Full. Record light flashes OK. Card is Kingston 32GB which I assume came with the cam or was recommended, I forget.
Can someone please suggest in words of one syllable how I should proceed? If I need to format the card, can someone tell me how to do that? My user manual is for 9665GM which was all that was available at the time.
I'm guilty of a fit-and-forget attitude, but it's worrying that potential mishaps on the road would not have been recorded. Thanks for any help.

In all probability you didn't empty the trash before ejecting the card from your Mac. This resulted in the hidden folder '.Trashes' containing the deleted files not actually getting deleted/removed from the card, hence it's still full and there's no space for the camera to write.

In the camera's settings menu, enter the 'Format' option, rest should be self explanatory.

Last edited:
In all probability you didn't empty the trash before ejecting the card from your Mac. This resulted in the hidden folder '.Trash' containing the deleted files not actually getting deleted/removed from the card, hence it's still full and there's no space for the camera to write.

In the camera's settings menu, enter the 'Format' option, rest should be self explanatory.

Thanks I missed that part when I responded too early in the morning :)

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

When I moved the .mov files from the card to Trash on the MacBook, the card showed no files at all.

I dragged the .bin file to the card and put it back in the cam and left it to it's own devices for a while.

Just been out, the Record light was flashing so stopped that as per the instructions.

Pressing the Menu button is having no effect at all.

Rebooting the cam, the Card Full message comes up then quickly disappears.

Urgh, I wish I wasn't such a technophobe!

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

When I moved the .mov files from the card to Trash on the MacBook, the card showed no files at all.

I dragged the .bin file to the card and put it back in the cam and left it to it's own devices for a while.

Just been out, the Record light was flashing so stopped that as per the instructions.

Pressing the Menu button is having no effect at all.

Rebooting the cam, the Card Full message comes up then quickly disappears.

Urgh, I wish I wasn't such a technophobe!

The files don't actually get moved to the 'Trash', it's a symbolic link showing you the same files in the trash, in reality that are still sitting in the hidden '.Trashes' folder on the card.

Here's an example -

trashes.png

If you don't empty the 'Trash', that 24.28GB stays blocked. In your case it's the entire card's worth of footage that's preventing the camera from recording any further.

Format the card using the built in format option and the card should start functioning normally.

always format the card after having the camera in your Mac, it's possible the card is damaged after so long trying to grind away writing to the same sector over and over, if you find you have issues still let us know and we'll help you out with the memory card

OK, I think I'm making progress.

I put the card back in the computer, sent the .bin file to Trash, emptied the Trash completely, then dragged the .bin file to the card again.

Card back in cam, did it's thing for a couple of minutes then screen activated, and no Card Full message. Yay.:)

Stopped the recording, opened the menu, clicked on Format and it immediately went back to the menu. I was expecting formatting to take a little while.

Anyway, I set it to record a couple of 3 minute clips which it did fine. That's great, thanks so much for the advice.

I do have a query, though. When the card is full, why is it not just writing over the top of the current files? I thought that was the idea of the continuous loop recording.

Assuming things are now working correctly, what should I be doing on a regular basis to maintain the health of the equipment? I don't need to download any footage except in the case of an incident.

when the card fills up it wants to delete the oldest file to make way for the next new file (first in, first out) it needs space for file management to handle the recycling process and the camera calculates how much free space based on card size, segment length etc, when there's hidden system files there that it can't see when trying to calculate it thinks there's space but it's unusable by the camera so it fails to make space for the new file

short answer is always make sure to format the card when you put it back in the camera so that the FAT (file allocation table) is updated and the camera knows that all of the card space is available to it

OK, so assuming the camera is always mounted in a vehicle and getting regular daily use, do I just keep an eye out for a Card Full message, or should I put the card in the computer and send all the files to Trash (and empty Trash) on a regular basis? If so, what would be a guideline period of time?

if the card is healthy and formatted in the camera then you shouldn't get these card full messages, if you still get them afterwards then it's time to replace the card

Ok, thanks for that.

I remember when I was researching dashcams a couple of years ago and found this forum, I was mightily impressed with the support that end users were getting from the designers, manufacturers and retailers. I'm delighted to find that is still the case, and I really appreciate the help I've received today. Good show, guys.

Ok, thanks for that.

I remember when I was researching dashcams a couple of years ago and found this forum, I was mightily impressed with the support that end users were getting from the designers, manufacturers and retailers. I'm delighted to find that is still the case, and I really appreciate the help I've received today. Good show, guys.
+1

Poor Apple people, they always seem to run into all kind of problems PC people just don't see :D

Thank you for your hilarious post, kamkar 1. The truth of the matter is that I'd still be a techno-numpty if I had Windoze. I'm quite happy with my Apple stuff, this issue was about me needing a little help with the dashcam, not the laptop.

Poor Apple people, they always seem to run into all kind of problems PC people just don't see :D
and PC people always seem to run into all kinds of problems fruit people don't see either.:p:p

Back