Assembling an HD system - need camera recommendations

rjk

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a bee in my bonnet about getting a really good system in my vehicle. My idea is to be able to get 360 degree coverage, in Full HD. I'm considering a custom built car PC to do the recording and also to transcode for archival purposes, but I need recommendations for the best cameras to use.

The cameras I want just need to be able to connect to my car PC somehow - they don't need GPS, they don't need their own SD card storage, they don't need any kind of screen at all. However, I want them to be able to capture at 1080p full HD, 30-60 FPS. I might want to mount the front one in the grille to prevent things hanging from my windshield, however this may not be optimal. If I did that, it would have to be waterproof.

I'm not sure of the best options for side viewing - perhaps some cameras mounted to the side-view mirrors. I found a few interesting systems targeted at law enforcement organizations, but they are very expensive!

For recording, I plan to have a large SSD in my car PC. While driving, it would record at full resolution and frame rate, and I would have a manual way to mark incidents as important so they are stored at full resolution. As the SSD fills up, the older video would start to get transcoded to a lower resolution - perhaps 720p - and moved to another set of archival hard drives. When parked at home, it would use my wi-fi to upload the video to my storage server. At that point I would transcode again to a lower resolution such as 480p, and then possibly upload it to Amazon Glacier or just keep it on my server. When archiving, I would also keep the Full HD version of any videos marked as Important.

This will take a lot of coding effort - but I need to find appropriate cameras first! Can you guys provide any recommendations?

I can recommend the Lukas 7900 Ace but it does have GPS and basically every dash cam on the market utilizes SD storage although you can find them without GPS... I especially like the Lukas G-force sensors!

The other positive about the Lukas is that it does NOT have a screen but it does have an A/V output. Take a look at the Lukas forum. I would also recommend looking into the DOD cameras.

I like what you are trying to do and would love to see the final build! :ugeek:

It looks like a good camera, but I read the owner's manual and it said the A/V port should only be used for adjusting the camera, and should not be connected all the time because it would drop frames and have a lower quality recording.

Ambarella chip set supports live video feed to the AV out without a problem, some of the new A7LA models will support USB hard drives up to 2TB, lots of features coming in the new models

jokiin said:
Ambarella chip set supports live video feed to the AV out without a problem, some of the new A7LA models will support USB hard drives up to 2TB, lots of features coming in the new models

Seriously? :shock: 2014 is going to be amazing for DashCam Talk

If these A7LA test videos are the real deal, I'm impressed already. I'm looking forward to what you do with it in future products Jokiin!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that sounds awesome. I'll go ahead and wait for the latest and greatest, and maybe get one of the other recommendations to hold me over until I build a proper system.

Back