Cellink b vs LiFePO4 deep cycle battery

MarcoM

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Has anybody wired the dash cam to a deep cycle battery (e.g. LiFePO4)? Is there any reason it shouldn't work as well as the cellink-b but with higher capacity and lower price?
There would be the issue of recharging it, but apart from that it may be cheaper/better option
If anybody wants to pitch in I'd be interested to hear opinions and experiences

Is there any reason it shouldn't work as well as the cellink-b but with higher capacity and lower price?

I've looked down this path before. Yes you can build a bigger, better and cheaper setup, but it wont be conveniently packaged up in a bundle like the Cellink.

You can buy a 20Ah LiFePo4 battery for $240AU, thats over 3 times the capacity of a single Cellink. Datasheet here

The difficult part is getting a suitable charger. The charge profile of LiFePO4 batteries differ slightly from a lead acid battery. You can use a regular DC-DC charger but it will not be optimal.

I found a local mob that sells a programmable charger module but its only a modest 5A current and it would require a boost converter to be powered in a car. Datsheet here

I'm sure you can find better charging modules out there because ive seen the charge controllers that Texas Instruments offer.

EDIT: Looks like that mob now sells a suitable complete charging unit but again at a modest current.

http://www.master-instruments.com.au/products/64317/CH367.html

Last edited:
Back