What is best location for a single cam - facing front or at rear?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V2
I installed my camera facing out the front windshield - but after reflection, I wonder if I should have mounted it facing out the rear window. The last two accidents I was in (not my fault) I was rear-ended. The other drivers always claim "the car in front stopped fast".

But whenever a car is rear-ended it is always the other car's fault (i.e. following too closely), so then I suppose having the camera facing front is best to protect me from lawsuits.

Is everyone in agreement on this?

...The other drivers always claim "the car in front stopped fast"....
Which is just their way of saying "I was following too close.". :rolleyes: I always ask people who say that whether or not the car they hit managed to avoid hitting whatever it was in front of them - pretty much ends the discussion.

There's a reason the law attributes fault to the driver hitting from the rear and that's it.

...so then I suppose having the camera facing front is best to protect me from lawsuits.

Is everyone in agreement on this?
That's the view that will most likely show that you did nothing wrong. If I were to use only 1 cam it would be facing forward.

With 30 years in between i also been rear ended 2 times, so if that don't change i can live with that score. :D
My rear camera dident work due to bad power supply when i was hit a year ago, still the insurance liked the footage of the front and right side camera, not that there was a dispute the guy took blame hands down.

Anyway there is a lot of WTF going on back there so a rear camera was one of my first updates too ( now have cameras on all 4 sides )

If you are not doing most of your driving out in the country at night,and don't have too unrealistic expectations to what a dashcamera can do for you in low light.
Then you can put a Mobius in the rear, its a reliable little camera and in daytime or with a little ambient light from streetlights and what ever towns have going at night, then its a good option.

But in my eyes the front camera is always the go to source in case of a dispute, and rear ended or side swiped from behind the front camera will most likely be able to tell if it was your fault or not.

If you like to expose the dumb asses in traffic on say youtube, then the more cameras the better, my side cameras capture a lot of driving phone junkies.

Definitely front- most of what you need to record is where you can show pretty much what you saw while driving. About all a rear cam could assist you with is to show how someone who is passing or has passed you was driving prior to the crash. In my State I can file a civil suit after Police file their charges so I'm cammed on all 4 sides, and when a jury sees without question what some clown has done, the chances are pretty good that I'll get a fat payoff, although I'd really rather not crash my nice van at all- at 25 years old it's in better shape than most 10 year old cars here are and I want to keep it that way for as long as is possible :D

Phil

It is not always the rear cars fault. there are times where people cut another car off while slamming on the brakes. In that case without a dash cam they would likely be found at fault 100% without any witnesses but with a dash cam if you can show they dangerously cut you off and brake checked you they can still be at fault.

and in that case a front camera would prove what happened in front of you.

rear cams can be useful in some situations, one example is while parking if you record while parked with motion detection or automatic parking mode and pull into parking spots. you could also show someone was following you dangerously close, if they were on their phone, and probably other reasons I am not thinking about. but a front cam is still going to be more important since MOST of the time.

Last edited:
Back