Would rather hit the cement median than follow a truck

You are assuming he even realised it was possible to fall in behind the truck. Some people's thought processes don't extend beyond the first option they come up with.

Seen the attitude many a time, but not so spectacularly.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Always spectacular when sparks fly :eek:

Very dangerous though for the driver of the cam-equipped car to pull over and stop on the freeway like that. Be careful being a Good Samaritan! Just the past two weeks there have been two people killed here in separate incidents stopping and getting out to help after seeing an accident.

Being the good Samaritan / hero is always/ often dangerous, you should be careful in that mode.
It is also why we Danes learn that first you must stop the accident / make sure it don't get worse, then you go on to do what ever first aid is needed.

Stopping accident is usually roping in more people in to make sure people slow down / call first aid and so on.

you do not just drop to your knees to give first aid in the middle of a street, that would be stupid.

So Think,,,,, then act.

I almost ran into a burning fireworks factory, my friend did try that in his eager to "do the right thing" but was blown on his ass.
And was then stopped by other workers comming out with skin hanging off them.
Lucky my brain was working that day and only 1 person lost his life ( fireworks worker and friend of ours )

Reddit and YouTube comments gives cammers a hard time for not stopping and assisting. However we have had our share of emergency vehicle accidents here recently. I think it just common sense to slow down when you see a stopped vehicle, an animal, or person dangerously close to the road. Perhaps pull to the next lane. Outside of Toronto, I have seen for years cars making lane changes as not to buzz someone changing a tire. Common sense or courtesy. It was made law, though due to a number of fatal accidents involving police responding to accidents in 2015, made law to move for tow trucks. There is no such law for slowing down for cars on the shoulder with their hazards on

Event with the law regarding Police, fire and tow trucks, not everyone is acknowledging it.

I feel bad the few times I had recorded an accident and not in a position to stop and assist . But given the lack of shoulder in one case or being in the centre of a multi lane highway with car whizzing past me after an accident and the fact some car approaching the accident scene aren't going to slow down ... I have moved on. In those cases, I called the collision centre the morning after.

edit: You will see in the video, I don't make a lane change for a vehicle with its hazards on. I didn't see it until up close.

Last edited:
So Think,,,,, then act.

+2 ;)
Sooooo many people suffer this brain failure and end up adding to the problem instead of reducing it :eek: I do some emergency management work. In the past, volunteers were encouraged to just show up and help but now they're usually told to go to the Red Cross (who won't use them unless they're been through their training course) or to simply go back home :eek: They are more of a liability than an asset without training and it's impossible to sort the smart ones from the ones you don't want in such cases.

I use the STOP strategy: "S" for gaining safety or shelter; "T" for thinking about what you need to do most right now; "O" for observing your situation so you can make good decisions; and "P" for planning what you need to based on all this then doing it :cool: My State requires that you render assistance in any car crash you discover or are involved in but I know of nobody who has ever been prosecuted for violating that law. From having been on the scene of many crashes myself I do not stop unless I am involved or am the first person on the crash scene, or I have needed skills or equipment to assist which are not otherwise there at that time. Otherwise it's better for me to call in the people best suited to respond then be out of their way when they arrive. If you're not actively helping then you are actively hurting things whether you realize that or not.

Think first and think well.
Phil

Safety would go a long way if people would just THINK about everything they do!

When I was in high school their was a guy that everyone liked, the kind of person that would give one the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it. One day on a 2 lane road, someone had a flat tire, he stopped to help and was changing the tire for that person when a car popped over a small hill and killed him!
I still to this day think about him once in a while. Road was absolutely straight no reason for it other then driver not paying attention. No cell phones then.

Now in my state, they fine people $25.00 for talking on a hand held cell phone and driving. Like that is going to deter anyone, yea right! On the road coming out of the local school (and everywhere else) you can see practically every person on a cell phone, do cops pull them over, NO.
I could go on and on about accidents/deaths they cause for hours, but I wouldn't be telling you guys anything you don't already know.

When I was in high school their was a guy that everyone liked, the kind of person that would give one the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it. One day on a 2 lane road, someone had a flat tire, he stopped to help and was changing the tire for that person when a car popped over a small hill and killed him!
I still to this day think about him once in a while. Road was absolutely straight no reason for it other then driver not paying attention. No cell phones then.

Now in my state, they fine people $25.00 for talking on a hand held cell phone and driving. Like that is going to deter anyone, yea right! On the road coming out of the local school (and everywhere else) you can see practically every person on a cell phone, do cops pull them over, NO.
I could go on and on about accidents/deaths they cause for hours, but I wouldn't be telling you guys anything you don't already know.

After a young woman texting ran over a guy on a bicycle and killed him they made the use of any handheld device while driving illegal in my state back in 2014. First offenses will cost between $100 and $200, and between $250 and $500 for subsequent violations. If you are caught in a work zone points will be assessed on your license. Everyday, I see people talking and texting on their cell phones while driving anyway!

Last edited:
Here, the fines are $490 and $1000 and one goes to court and looses. The fines have doubled from what they were. I don't see that stopping anyone. I see more people doing it.

As others have said before, whats the point without sufficient enforcement. Back about a month ago, they announced they were going after it for a week and drivers continued as they were well aware it was unlikely they would be caught. One OPP officer caught more than 30 a day.

Back