V3 Blurred Video, bad exposure

CRS 123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm on my second V3 (after coming from the V2) The V3 unit which I am returning, plus the replacement, which I'm also returning, is hugely affected by any heat variance. I'm talking about a normal 75 degree day, and direct sun heating through the windshield, causes the video to blur out, the affect you would get if you fogged up a camera lens and took a shot. I'm a photographer so trust me...lenses and windshield are clean etc etc. After I'm parked in the shade for awhile, it clears up....but this is NOT acceptable. BTW, my V2, which i'm now back to using....does NOT have any of these problems. the auto exposure adjustments are much better on V2 also. I've read from other posters on this forum that they were having the same issues. This is NOT after baking in 110 degree weather heat....just normal day stuff . Disappointed and moving on to other brands.
CRS 123

I've experienced focus issues with two different SG9665GC units and indeed this issue is mentioned in the DCT write-up about the camera under "Known Problems".
A search here on DCT will bring up numerous threads about the blurry and out of focus video despite the various claims to the contrary from a certain well known retailer on this forum.

All in all though, the problem appears to be relatively rare and with Street Guardian you have an honorable, very responsive company that will stand behind the product and replace the camera for you. You may not find that level of support with other manufacturers and I can say that the unit I received as a replacement has held up quite well in a wide range of temperature extremes. The SG9665GC has proven itself to be an extremely reliable camera compared to others in my experience.
https://dashcamtalk.com/sg9665gc/#Blurry_Video

From many thousands sold there could be very little % that need attention (factory or QC human error?) like with all consumer electronics devices, even with the most expencive brands on the market. I am sure @Street Guardian USA is going to look after you in no time.

I've experienced focus issues with two different SG9665GC units and indeed this issue is mentioned in the DCT write-up about the camera under "Known Problems".
A search here on DCT will bring up numerous threads about the blurry and out of focus video despite the various claims to the contrary from a certain well known retailer on this forum.

All in all though, the problem appears to be relatively rare and with Street Guardian you have an honorable, very responsive company that will stand behind the product and replace the camera for you. You may not find that level of support with other manufacturers and I can say that the unit I received as a replacement has held up quite well in a wide range of temperature extremes. The SG9665GC has proven itself to be an extremely reliable camera compared to others in my experience.
Thank you for the response. My retailer here in the US was responsive....but required me to jump through allot of hoops before doing an exchange (annoying questions like "is the lens dirty?" are you stationary or moving?, "Then..."send us a video" (which I did), then ..." can you send us the original file? Then..."the tech in China can't access Vimeo website" etc etc etc. I'm shy about trying for a third replacement.
CRS

Here is a link to a couple videos right click and open link in new window for full size, viewing a small screen such as a phone will not tell the story.

Thank you for the response. My retailer here in the US was responsive....but required me to jump through allot of hoops before doing an exchange (annoying questions like "is the lens dirty?" are you stationary or moving?, "Then..."send us a video" (which I did), then ..." can you send us the original file? Then..."the tech in China can't access Vimeo website" etc etc etc. I'm shy about trying for a third replacement.
CRS

apologies if some of the questions and requests are very basic but unfortunately we do get a surprising number of people that find they've left one of the plastic covers on the lens or filter, fingerprint on the lens etc, video we only ever assess from original files, anything re-encoded is harder to judge

apologies if some of the questions and requests are very basic but unfortunately we do get a surprising number of people that find they've left one of the plastic covers on the lens or filter, fingerprint on the lens etc, video we only ever assess from original files, anything re-encoded is harder to judge
Understood. Thank you. I apologize for my frustrated tone.
CRS

Understood. Thank you. I apologize for my frustrated tone.
CRS

no problem, understand the frustration, try as we might, sometimes things go wrong, Jon will refund you no problem, we'll check those specific cameras when they eventually come back and see what the issue is

I don't really have any issues with mine as I don't use it for cinematic purposes, but when it really gets hot on a hot day when parked it does go slightly blurry but doesn't take long to go back to normal once you got aircon on and start moving again.

V2 and V3 temp ratings are the same, in our tests they never lost focus up to rated temps, beyond that it can happen, that's just physics, could also be a lens fault or something else going on though, will check these when they come back to find out what happened

And adding CPL will made image blurry a little.

No it doesn't. Not noticeably anyway... (Motion blur is something else, but during daytime, with or without CPL won't make much difference even for motion blur.)

I'm just crossreferencing this thread, because I have the exact same issue.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rforming-as-expected.28375/page-2#post-327512
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rforming-as-expected.28375/page-3#post-327663

I do appreciate the responsiveness and niko sending a replacement on short notice, but I have the impression the replacement might have the same problem. I already see some blurring on the right hand side of the frame. Trouble is, temperatures have dropped 10°C since I reported the problem, so I can't really compare and test thoroughly at this point... (Also there is some audio issue on the replacement unit, which was absent on the original one.)
So, I'm about to ship the original one back, but I'm really afraid I'll now be stuck with one that will prove to have the same blurring issue, PLUS an audio annoyance... :/
I'll know more in a few weeks...

No it doesn't. Not noticeably anyway... (Motion blur is something else, but during daytime, with or without CPL won't make much difference even for motion blur.)

I'm just crossreferencing this thread, because I have the exact same issue.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rforming-as-expected.28375/page-2#post-327512
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...rforming-as-expected.28375/page-3#post-327663

I do appreciate the responsiveness and niko sending a replacement on short notice, but I have the impression the replacement might have the same problem. I already see some blurring on the right hand side of the frame. Trouble is, temperatures have dropped 10°C since I reported the problem, so I can't really compare and test thoroughly at this point... (Also there is some audio issue on the replacement unit, which was absent on the original one.)
So, I'm about to ship the original one back, but I'm really afraid I'll now be stuck with one that will prove to have the same blurring issue, PLUS an audio annoyance... :/
I'll know more in a few weeks...

You have the exact same issue I was talking about. The temperature would not even have to be severe outside. 72 degrees F direct sunlight on windshield and the video would degrade terribly. oh...with or without CPL (which with adequate light does not cause any blurring...not with my blackvues, or my V2 guardian...never. The blurring becomes so pronounced that reading plates would be impossible even close up. I can't take the chance of a blurry camera when reading a license plate might be critical.
CRS

Are you saying the V2 you had before does not have this problem?

I am having the exact same problem. Here is a comparison shot between 70F and 100F:

I should also note that my old A118 and G1W did not have this problem.

Attachments

• shot1.jpeg
    shot1.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 15
  • shot2.jpeg
    shot2.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 16
I am having the exact same problem. Here is a comparison shot between 70F and 100F:

I should also note that my old A118 and G1W did not have this problem.

get your details to @Street Guardian USA and we'll get it sorted out for you, have had a couple of these come up just recently and we are looking into it now, we'll make sure it gets resolved for you

get your details to @Street Guardian USA and we'll get it sorted out for you, have had a couple of these come up just recently and we are looking into it now, we'll make sure it gets resolved for you

Standing by to coordinate pending action plan

Back