mini 0903 capacitor

t.c.

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
I bought 0903. It was delivered in 2 weeks. But seems that the capacitor does not work at all. Once I stop engine or unplug the power it just imidiatelly switches off. As a result the latest file is broken and cannot be viewed.
When I put power a small battery icon is shown on the display and after one minute that icon disappear, so I believe the capacitor should be charged. But as I mentioned - no proper shutdown.

I left the device powered for 2 hours but all sympthoms are the same - cannot properly shutdown.
Also I have mini 0805 battery based - no issues there.

Firmware: 903_96655_20160620_V1.8
Is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
Is there a shutdown sequence (logo + chime) ? Or does it just turn off?

There are few new firmware available.
Try those just to see if it helps but if capacitor is not holding charge for few seconds, it's not enough to shutdown properly.
You mentioned 2 weeks so I assume it's not local seller that you can return it easily.
If you are handy, you can replace the capacitor pretty cheap.

Hi,

t.c. how you solved the problem? Looks like I have the same with my new 0903. After 24 min, 19 min or 31 min
of driving last MOV incorrectly saved. In manual I read it's 10 min to charge capacitor.
upload_2016-12-23_2-52-10.png
SDCH 32 GB 10 class, FW 20160905V2.3, purchased from GearBest

Thanks

Last edited:
it must be a super capacitor damaged. please replace it

Hi,

t.c. how you solved the problem? Looks like I have the same with my new 0903. After 24 min, 19 min or 31 min
of driving last MOV incorrectly saved. In manual I read it's 10 min to charge capacitor.
View attachment 28184
SDCH 32 GB 10 class, FW 20160903V2.3, purchased from GearBest

Thanks
Actually I got a small refund.
I would suggest to try: turn off screen, LDWS, other unneccessary functions, use only 2A+ charger
Seems it has high power usage and it is not enough to charge the capacitor.
It could freeze, turnoff unexpectedly even if power is connected. I had to install/remove the recorder each time when I drive, so after 2 months it lost the ability to properly connect to the mount

Finally I threw it to a drawer and use my old mini 0805 with scretched lenses. Picture here is much better in any weather condition. The mount and ... everything is better.
Any idea where can I buy lenses to replace?

Hi,

what about 12v-5v hardwire for parking? Could it solve the capacitor problem?

Thanks

the parking guard hardwire kit will provide constant power to camera unless the hardwire kit loss connection.
but for a thorough solution, replace the camera will be better.

Hi

in this case it's a issue for me to buy super capacitor: any radio store in my country not have this magic part :(
So I need to order from some e-shop. Does any know trustworthy seller for super capacitors?
In picture (thanks @lacibaci) I see 2x 2.7V 10F. Is it ok or I should look with other parameters? Sorry I'm not radioman :)
As I understand it's important length and diameter of body. @Rayman.Chan, can you provide these parameters?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi

in this case it's a issue for me to buy super capacitor: any radio store in my country not have this magic part :(
So I need to order from some e-shop. Does any know trustworthy seller for super capacitors?
In picture (thanks @lacibaci) I see 2x 2.7V 10F. Is it ok or I should look with other parameters? Sorry I'm not radioman :)
As I understand it's important length and diameter of body. @Rayman.Chan, can you provide these parameters?

Thanks in advance!
Before buying another capacitor make sure that its lenght is ~25mm , width 10mm.
I have bought http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/hc-series/documents BCAP0010 P270 T01
But it has lenght 30mm and it does not fit. See mine. Had to make a hole. It is awful but I have no time to look for another capacitor

This one seems with good parameters https://www.ebay.com/itm/272233640744

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_230056.jpg
    IMG_20170114_230056.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 49
The camera works, if we remove the capacitor, if it is not a problem for you, you can wait and order the desired item.

Before buying another capacitor make sure that its lenght is ~25mm , width 10mm.

Thanks t.c. Did you solved the last file saving problem with these capacitors?
I see you also solved overheating problem in advance... with one "small" hole :)

if we remove the capacitor
I will wait. As you know this item is made from delicate plastic so disassembling could harm the body :)

Hi,
changing capacitors does not helped. Changed capacitors uploaded to 4.8 V but after disconnecting power last file saved corrupted.
FW not have any impact. Any ideas..?

Hi,
changing capacitors does not helped. Changed capacitors uploaded to 4.8 V but after disconnecting power last file saved corrupted.
FW not have any impact. Any ideas..?

we got a replacement from a user which is capacitor not work, we found a diode was damaged, should be caused by the charging voltage too high.
after replace the diode (SS14) the camera works perfect.
this one:
20170421160454.jpg

hardware fault, probably beyond a DIY fix

as expert in dash camera field, there must be a way for us to help on user's problem.
no matter it is easy or complex, we need to find out what happened, how to solve, how to improve, how to prevent.
complain will do nothing useful.

Hi Rayman,
could you provide parameters of this diode?
Thanks

Hi bro,
SS14 is a popular wide used diode, 40V 1A MAX, DO-214AC SMA package, size 5*2.6*2.2mm, reference price $0.01 in tape.
or 1N5819 which is a DIP component but also works.

Back