New xiaoimi yi camera on the horizon

okay when 60 FPS is not covered, then it must be a compute limitation of the chipset :D

Still none of the others do 4K EIS, or that is the new Sony i think also do it but then it is not EIS but OIS.

Do like the new IS systems where its the sensor moving around and not the optics getting moved, but i still don't get how they can do it, i know the basics but how its done mechanical is beyond me.
And what should it be called SIS ( sensor Image Stabilization ) or are it still OIS but just at the sensor level instead of the lens.

With EIS I believe the sensor doesn't move. What happens it the image is reduced in size slightly to leave a border of pixels on the sensor that fall outside of the recorded image area. When movement in the camera is detected, the image is stabilised by selecting a slightly different area of pixels to record, that correspond to the difference in the movement. So eg if the camera shakes to the left, then the area of pixels recorded will be shifted to the right to compensate for the cameras movement. It's done basically by either using an oversized sensor or recording only part of the sensor's area resulting in a slightly smaller regular picture. You can see this in the specifications as some cameras have slightly smaller maximum resolutions with EIS switched on.

Some explanation here which I managed to find through google: https://www.videomaker.com/article/f6/7310-image-stabilization-eisois

Last edited:
anyone every buy from geekbuying? im thinking of getting the 4k+ but never dealt with them. i chatted with them, was told they have plenty. and its only $10.00 for DHL shipping which is 5 day instead of the free 15-30 day shipping LOL

I only bought smartphones from them and never had any problem. If you're from Europe you should use SF Express to avoid paying VAT.

Anyone got the new Yi 4k+ yet? Im still waiting for delivery.

I see on youtube some gotten one, and it don't look that bad i must say.
But i will hang on to 1080p shooting for a while to come.

Last edited:
a bit weird there is no proper product launch with full reviews...

found this...

decent review (+ some lens focus issues)

better reviewer

??
Look at the the current 21 reviews on Amazon, from buyers of the Yi 4 k +, fully a third give it one star, and only 43 percent five stars!
Consensus seems to say that it is not ready for prime time, K
In contrast, the Yi 4 k rates four stars! If you consider that a few buyers of anything will be miserable with their purchase, that rating is good!

Last edited by a moderator:
When the SJCam SJ Star overheats, does it shut down?

??
Look at the the current 21 reviews on Amazon, from buyers of the Yi 4 k +, fully a third give it one star, and only 43 percent five stars!
Consensus seems to say that it is not ready for prime time, K
In contrast, the Yi 4 k rates four stars! If you consider that a few buyers of anything will be miserable with their purchase, that rating is good!

I disagree, especially after I read the reasons because people gave a 1 star feedback:
- "To use the external mic it requires additional adapter which are not yet available" ....everybody knows it.
- "Samsung Evo 64GB U3 class SDXC card does not work"....all the Xiaomi Yi 4K (normal or +) are "picky" with the cards.....firmware will fix it (as it did for the normal Yi 4K with the latest firmware)
- "Unable to connect the cam with samsung KS8000 TV using USB cable"....seriously....does people really need that?!?
- "This camera has bad quality and when you try to watch it on your laptop it's laggy!!!".....very useful feedback (poor quality....where did this guy try the camera....in a swimming pool with poor light....???) and the laptop....if you have a crappy Centrino 2 or i3, do not try ti play a 4k 60fps video at 130Mbit.....c'mon
- "battery life at 4k 60fps is bad....20-25min".....I knew it, not a surprise...if people check the review on Youtube before buying something, they avoid surprises....always
- "EIS is poor"....c'mon....people expect to be able to run and have a smooth video....this is not what the EIS is for!! If you want shake-proof video, use a gimbal....not even the Sony FDR-X3000 with its optical stabilization does miracles....how does people expect an EIS to do....

I still do not really need 4k 50fps (I am PAL), and so I do not consider reasonable to pay almost twice the cost of the normal Yi 4K.....but if I did need 4K 50fps, I would definitely buy this one, also because there is no alternative!

One said that voice control doesn't work, also another said the raw photo data unavailable! R & D obviously inadequate!
Also read the comments from Yi support.

Last edited by a moderator:
first release batches do often contain bugs and have glithces....GoPro with its Karma is the clear example no company is immune from that.

it seems very strange that this Yi 4K+ really sucks that much....because I have both the normal Yi, and the Yi 4k, and they are very good cameras, with a far greater price/quality ratio than GoPro, SJCAM, etc...

maybe this is not a big deal to me because, apart that I am not interested in buying it yet (50fps 4k is not a must, and paying almost 400k CHF with import duties is a no-go to me), I would never use gadgets such as voice control or raw (which everybody know it will be released with future firmware updates....same for the Yi 4k), but would only use if for the higher frame rate capabilities....which nobody seems complaining about...

Last edited:
I have not been able to make it thermal shut down yet, what i mentioned was be best attempt so far.

But it is now warmer in the weather ( a wopping 20 degrees yesterday ) sp i might give it a new try soon, and see if i can remember to borrow my friends temp gun.

At geekbuying they sell an OP kit with different accessories for $420. I don't get it.

Finally got it, so if U have any questions jusk ask and i will try to check and answer.

It came whit 1.0.1 firmware - after update to 1.0.18 it seams to be ok. SD Card works fine - Sandisk 64GB Ultra U1

Here's my comparison of YI 4K+ vs GoPro Hero5 black vs YI 4K Action Camera,
including a 4K EIS test and Audio Comparison in & outside the case:

I'v got a problem with Yi 4k+ and rider-M gimbal. They wont work together. The sound is so much noisy that it is not usable. Its some kind of interference from the gimbal motors. Without gimbal camera record perfect sound. Gimbal working perfect with Yi Cam (1 version). Any ideas?

Broken camera?
Broken gimbal?

I'v got a problem with Yi 4k+ and rider-M gimbal. They wont work together. The sound is so much noisy that it is not usable. Its some kind of interference from the gimbal motors. Without gimbal camera record perfect sound. Gimbal working perfect with Yi Cam (1 version). Any ideas?

Broken camera?
Broken gimbal?
MIcrophone positions? (i mean they pickup the sound or is it like static for electromagnetic interference?)
On my Rider_M I put the xiaomi Yi I upside down (in order to have the lens on the motor axis to minimize movements)

Last edited:
Here's my comparison of YI 4K+ vs GoPro Hero5 black vs YI 4K Action Camera,
including a 4K EIS test and Audio Comparison in & outside the case:

awesome! btw...what was the location (i.e. the rollercoaster)? I am in CH....if not too far, I would be curious to try my Yi 4K (@120Mbit) with my Feiyu WG 3-axes gimbal....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B YI 4K+ Action Camera 0
Matt_V939 YI 4K+ Action Camera 26
Back