Hidden GPS logging when set to off

it still logs data, it just doesn't sync so your clock won't get updated periodically, there are some time offsets which are not catered for, in those regions the setting would need to be left off
While I can't speak for technicalities in its accuracy, the main problem here is not its accuracy, but logging of the GPS metadata when a reasonable expectation from the setting being turned off is just that - Just turn off GPS logging.

While I can't speak for technicalities in its accuracy, the main problem here is not its accuracy, but logging of the GPS metadata when a reasonable expectation from the setting being turned off is just that - Just turn off GPS logging.
Exactly.

why buy the GPS in the first place if this is the intention, doesn't make sense
It's about having a choice. I like to have GPS info available for certain trips and not for others. And that's what the 'turn off GPS' setting makes me think is possible. Alternatively, one could use it when lending car to others, but not use it on themselves. I could present few more examples, but this is besides the point.

I personally bought the GPS because of the advertised "top facing usb port" which is more discrete than side facing. However, that didn't work out as planned because of the defective design of the camera/module causing reboots and flickering

Like I said, it was a mistake buying the GPS. (at least in my case)

I suspect the greater number of people would buy GPS because they want GPS, not because of where they can plug the power in, not really a typical use scenario I would think

It's about having a choice. I like to have GPS info available for certain trips and not for others. And that's what the 'turn off GPS' setting makes me think is possible. Alternatively, one could use it when lending car to others, but not use it on themselves. I could present few more examples, but this is besides the point.
Well said. Completely agree

It's about having a choice. I like to have GPS info available for certain trips and not for others. And that's what the 'turn off GPS' setting makes me think is possible.

perhaps they should consider renaming that menu option 'GPS time sync' then so it's clearer what it's about

I suspect the greater number of people would buy GPS because they want GPS, not because of where they can plug the power in, not really a typical use scenario I would think
Maybe so...but the top facing usb port was a selling point for me. What's wrong with that? I also like having the option to "truly" turn the GPS on and OFF.

Right now I want it off... but guess what? It's not truly off because my data is being secretly embedded without my knowledge

Sure that's very well be the case. But one can't do just the opposite of what was promised (or led to believe). Ethically speaking, of course. Again, my point was hidden logging is misleading, and I hope this is something that can be corrected in the next firmware or next version of the product. I'm not sure if other GPS dashcams are the same though I hope not.

This is all been very interesting and important information. Thank you all. I'm wondering what people think about covering the GPS pins. When I do that the camera states that No GPS is present. I've used two pieces of scotch Professional Grade Super 33 Vinyl electrical tape. The larger piece covers the area, and a smaller piece is placed over the adhesive on the large piece to protect the Pins so that they are not exposed to the tape adhesive. In other words to prevent the adhesive from touching the Pins. I have attached 2 pictures to show you what it looks like. A119 GPS module covered tape IMG_0283.JPG A119 GPS module covered tape IMG_0287.JPG

This is all been very interesting and important information. Thank you all. I'm wondering what people think about covering the GPS pins. When I do that the camera states that No GPS is present. I've used two pieces of scotch Professional Grade Super 33 Vinyl electrical tape. The larger piece covers the area, and a smaller piece is placed over the adhesive on the large piece to protect the Pins so that they are not exposed to the tape adhesive. In other words to prevent the adhesive from touching the Pins. I have attached 2 pictures to show you what it looks like. View attachment 30395 View attachment 30396
How well does it stay good during hot summer? I guess this might be too soon to ask this question assuming it is yet to see summer.

The scotch super 33 Electrical tape is not supposed to be a regular electrical tape– and they charge for it. The tape is rated from-0.4°F - 221°F (-18°C - 105°C). I’ll let you know how that does during the summer in LA.

I agree it's bad to embed GPS info when the menu is set to not record it. It's all well and good to say they can calculate speed anyway, but in practice that may be hard to do accurately. By embedding GPS info it not only makes it easier, but makes it more credibly accurate.

PTFE tape might be a good way to insulate the pins without risk of damage. Getting it to stay in place might be tricky though. Whether it's practical depends on if / how often you'll be removing the camera.

The scotch super 33 Electrical tape is not supposed to be a regular electrical tape– and they charge for it. The tape is rated from-0.4°F - 221°F (-18°C - 105°C). I’ll let you know how that does during the summer in LA.
Cool. Thanks!

I agree it's bad to embed GPS info when the menu is set to not record it. It's all well and good to say they can calculate speed anyway, but in practice that may be hard to do accurately. By embedding GPS info it not only makes it easier, but makes it more credibly accurate.

PTFE tape might be a good way to insulate the pins without risk of damage. Getting it to stay in place might be tricky though. Whether it's practical depends on if / how often you'll be removing the camera.
While I am thinking about putting on a tape, I hate to use any kind of workaround due to unnecessary inconvenience in the long run.

I like to have GPS info available for certain trips and not for others.
place a regular mount next to a GPS mount, set the camera to "GPS On", and place the camera according to your wish. :)
I personally have 2 GPS units because I want the cameras have the correct time logged, nothing else.

I thought about it a while ago, and I like this idea relative to others. Not a beautiful solution but practical than others.

Sure that's very well be the case. But one can't do just the opposite of what was promised (or led to believe). Ethically speaking, of course. Again, my point was hidden logging is misleading, and I hope this is something that can be corrected in the next firmware or next version of the product. I'm not sure if other GPS dashcams are the same though I hope not.

I just bought the new A119S version 2 and I don't like it one BIT that when you set GPS off in the menu,it's NOT really off.. WTH?? What purpose does that setting really serve then? I for one would like to see it actually turn off all GPS when you select it! I also do like the Electrical plug coming straight down rather then plugging it in on the side of the Camera. I take my Camera out of the Car every day so that was the ONLY reason I installed a GPS mount. If i unplug the Camera every single day,the connection won't last long at all. I need to have that Permanent mount with Electrical connection on it just like the GPS Mount but without GPS enabled. Would it possible to have the same mount configuration with just a Pass Through for voltage and NO Gps? Is there a way to disable this GPS mount in some way so it still provides Power but NO gps?? None of the other mounts available now give me a good option for Permanently mounting and hard wiring the mount so i can just Grab my camera and go without unplugging it every time. Could a new Firmware fix this since the option to turn OFF GPS already is listed in the menu,it's just NOT TRUE at this time.. not happy at all about this..

I just bought the new A119S version 2 and I don't like it one BIT that when you set GPS off in the menu,it's NOT really off.. WTH?? What purpose does that setting really serve then? I for one would like to see it actually turn off all GPS when you select it! I also do like the Electrical plug coming straight down rather then plugging it in on the side of the Camera. I take my Camera out of the Car every day so that was the ONLY reason I installed a GPS mount. If i unplug the Camera every single day,the connection won't last long at all. I need to have that Permanent mount with Electrical connection on it just like the GPS Mount but without GPS enabled. Would it possible to have the same mount configuration with just a Pass Through for voltage and NO Gps? Is there a way to disable this GPS mount in some way so it still provides Power but NO gps?? None of the other mounts available now give me a good option for Permanently mounting and hard wiring the mount so i can just Grab my camera and go without unplugging it every time. Could a new Firmware fix this since the option to turn OFF GPS already is listed in the menu,it's just NOT TRUE at this time.. not happy at all about this..
This could be fixed in a firmware update... however some people think its "not a problem"

Personally I think @viofo owes us a new firmware update to disable it.

This could be fixed in a firmware update... however some people think its "not a problem"

Personally I think @viofo owes us a new firmware update to disable it.
I agree. Stealth recording of GPS data against our wishes (With GPS settings turned "off") opens us up for potential trouble without much upside, other than to keep the date and time set up properly. @viofo NEEDS to correct this or it will have a lot of unhappy former customers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C A119 5
R A119 12
Back