Definitive answer on whether a 128GB card works in the 770?

Aiofe

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I am seriously thinking of getting the 770 dual channel from @BlackboxMyCar but am trying to figure out whether to get a 128gb card or not

What I've read so far doesn't really answer whether it works or not.

1. It works! IF it's a Lexar 633x or Samsung Evo +, the higher end cards have memory controller issues (I have no idea what that means though!)
2. It works! But will only overwrite the last 64gb on the card, leaving the first 64gb untouched
3. It works! But some users report issues with it (Repeated format reminders, random shutting down etc)
4. It doesn't work, it's gonna damage your camera! It's not endorsed by Thinkware! The sky is falling!

So, the question is, does it actually work in the real world? Now that some time has passed since the first release does anyone have any experience with a particular brand of 128gb card?

I read something about a 200gb card but considering the confusion surrounding the 128gb card I don't dare ask ☺️☺️

I see that the 770 has a 128gb option with @BlackboxMyCar so I'm assuming it does work or they wouldn't offer that package?

Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited:
indeed, there is the potential that any third party card may not work, or lead to unexpected results.

Certain 128GB cards don't work, the same can be said for 64GB/32GB though. But it's much more common to come across issues with 128GB
I have only tested the Samsung EVO+ and Lexar 633X to work reliably with the camera.
We've sold quite a few with the Lexar 633x 128GB with no reported issues though

Do note that with F770, the card is partitioned. In my case, I run the "Type C" partition (https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/news/sd-card-memory-partitioning-thinkware)
As my car has a bumpy suspension I have the continuous g-sensor sensitivity set to the minimum so there's rarely any files there (15% of the card), it's also hard to fill up the manual recording folder (10% of the card). So in my case, ~20-25% of the card isn't even used so the full 119GB won't be used. You will still benefit going from 64GB to 128GB

One of my biggest complaints for Thinkware is how limited the SD card partitioning is.

I've been running with my 128gb Samsung evo+ card for a while now.

The only annoyance is the"regularly format memory card"message but I think everyone gets that

I also run a Lexar 633X 128GB SD Card in my F750 (upgraded to a F770) without issue.

I just pulled the card to check it, and find that I have 9 days of Continuous Recordings (intermittent driving during those days), 9 days of Emergency Recordings, 2 days of Motion Recordings (I allow overwriting this partition) and 10 days of Parking Recordings (most used mode with 6 hour shutoff enabled). I have the Partition Setting to "C".

This is with a Rear Camera also installed.

I do not get "Format Memory Card" warnings.

Totally pleased with the F750/F770.

RodeoGeorge

Just to update this thread...

I've been using the F770 dual channel with the Lexar 633x 128GB card with absolutely no problems since November last year (About 6 months) It's hardwired into my Nissan X Trail and so far no battery issues (I set it to shut down at 12 volts and it hasn't had to shut down so far)

I get the format card message every so often (30 days?) and format it and away I go.

Very happy with the F770, only gripe is being unable to alter the memory partition settings, maybe a future firmware update will address this?

Very happy with the F770, only gripe is being unable to alter the memory partition settings, maybe a future firmware update will address this?
unfortunately I highly doubt that they will. if there is one thing lacking from thinkware its their after sales support with firmware updates. in fact the only significant updates we have had recently was to prevent people from changing their F750 to an F770 ( they are identical) so rather than help us with these things they are actively moving against us. Bu perhaps the planets will align and the will see sense, give the length of time from the last update and the fact that the newer model isn't long from being released, I wouldn't hold my breath.

In saying all of that, the camera is a great camera, im definitely happy with my choice so don't be too disheartened by what I just said.

Definitely Maybe.

Also note there are recent changes with the LExar (and presumably other) cards which cause them to fail. Recent Lexar 633x cards are not working, though the old version still work.

My 128gb samsung evo+ is still working fine. I have yet to format it since ive put it in.

I get the format card message every so often (30 days?) and format it and away I go.

You can make this annoying message go away by editing the date on a .txt file in the card.

My 128gb sandisc is working fine inboth my F750 & F770 cameras , though a lot of people have problems with the brand in general...

I have just got a lexar 633x sd card, it does not work in my F770 and will not let me format it, after formatting in other devices still no go, get "memory card error" "restarting" message.
Looking at the 32GB THINKWARE card in cam and new lexar I noted the lexar has a "3" in the square U shaped box not a "1" as in thinkware card, mate says this will stop it working ?, it has also micro sd and "xc1", all the other cards I see on begay have a "1" in the u shaped box, assume I bought the wrong card in error, though it works in my next base cams, and other cams!!

If the Lexar 633X 64gb has this wrote above the the bar code on the back of the packet :- LSDMI64GBBEU633A Rev B then these dont work as I have just discovered in the F770, trouble is you are not aware of this when ordering online as probaly most people do, all you know is the spec of the card when placing a order it.:mad:

Thanks for your reply, sadly mine was advertised and came as shown on ebay just in little plastic protective box, no bar code any where!!

ebay and no packaging? Are you sure it's not counterfeit?

Even if it is genuine, it's well established at this time that Lexar made a change in their 633x cards a few weeks ago and cards made after that change simply don't work.

Not sure really, have known this in the past for smaller cheaper post costs, I was very surprised at it taking some 10 minutes to download 5 minutes worth of 720p footage, even though it is through a dedicated card reader not usb cable, how do you tell if genuine or not ?, I searched again on ebay and could not find another lexar with a 3 in the square "U" shape box, it works perfect in 720p cam, hard to believe I might have been ripped off from ebay ha ha, thanks for any input all greatly received

Put the card into a known-good adapter and run speed tests using CrystalDiskMark (windows) or AmorphousDiskMark (macOS).

See if it really is as fast as it's supposed to be or if perhaps some vendor put a counterfeit label on some cheap/slow card.

Info about UHS speed class (the number in the U mark): https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

Lexar definitely makes UHS class 3 microSD cards.

looking on amazon vendors state the class 3 is a older version which seems odd to me why the older 3 at 30mbs is replaced by a slower 10mbs!!, don't know whether to try another card, but going to do as you suggest with speed check just out of curiosity, seems very slow compared with my samsung cards from other devices, might try these in thinkyware.
thank you very much for your help,
regards chris

I bought a 128G Samsung EVO+ the other day. It worked fine out of the box.. formatted in camera and worked for a few days without issue. I pulled it out last night as I just wanted to see/verify the recordings and was curious to see what the parking mode caught. Now it won't work on re-insertion. I either get the looped "insert a memory card" or "memory card error."

Can't seem to get it recognized again. I've tried pushing the format button on the camera, re-formatting in computer (both windows and mac).

Wondering if anyone else has seen this and has a fix of steps to get it to work again? I'm going to try unformatting the card (I'll probably use dd to wipe the FAT) and see if I can then put it in the camera and push format in it.

Thanks for the info, I was just about to buy this same card, it's ridiculous the situation with thinkware and different cards.
I have tried several cards but they won't format or get recognised in the bloody cam.

Back