Flickering issues with lcd - power related?

Unable to find the new version on the VIOFO website - is A119S V2 just the A119s or the A119 also ???

Sweeeet, 30 biscuits is fine............. While your busy in HK, could you get someone else to organize my purchase quicker ?

$30 is still pretty expensive. Next time, I recommend trying viabox. They have the cheapest shipping rates of all the freight forwarders. Hope this helps.

I just wanted to add my two cents to OP's original issue -
I just installed my new A119 and had the exact same screen flickering issue. I was lazy so I reused the existing power cable for my previous MIO dash cam. Once I replaced the cable with the one comes from A119, the flickering issue disappeared.

My A119 just died because of power error or whatever. Screen blinks, restarts. I use direct power from charger to camera without GPS mount.
Never again Viofo product.

My A119 just died because of power error or whatever. Screen blinks, restarts. I use direct power from charger to camera without GPS mount.

Don't jump ship yet fella, someone will be along to help shortly............ VIOFO and their support retailers here are excellent and will get you sorted for sure somehow as you will see soon.

Try using a different USB charger and/or cable. Be sure to try both of the Viofo cables that came with the camera. Your issue is a sign of not enough power getting to the camera.

If you have tried the original power supply and it still won't boot, what works for me is to re-flash the firmware again. Chances are you may need to update that anyways, to the current version. You can grab the file at www.viofo.com erase the contents of the memory card in a pc, drop that one file in the root, and boot up the device with the memory card inserted. It may take a minute or two for it to process the changes and it will reboot when done. I have had this happen 4 times with my personal A119S, which was one of the very first ones made, but its great for 6 months after I do that. (I had to do it just yesterday, half of the screen was green, half was black, and it wasnt recording) This may or may NOT be the fix for your problem, but it is what always works for me on my A119s V1 Note: I bought a case of them at the time, and this has been the only one showing any sign of trouble, so I probably just have a flaky one. I dont mind doing this every 6 months, as it is a reminder to update the software. It's also important to plug the power directly into it, not into the gps mount. Some early units had a weak electrical connection between them.

Ok guys. I changed cables to test - no result. I loaded never firmware - no result. It seems that motherboard of powertrain inside is going down.

Have you tried a different power source? Maybe a USB wall charger (phone charger). Must be at least 1A. If that doesn't not change things, it's possible your image sensor ribbon cable has come loose, as that would also cause the issue your describing. A bad capacitor could do it as well. Could check both if you decide to open it up to inspect.

I managed to change source of power (wall socket, powerbank), mix various cables (even with golden layer lol) and no result.
Then I just plug it again and miracle - everything works again, even with cables\power source which previously failed.
Does it mean that internal hardware is going to die soon, and this was the only beginning?

There cannot be any explanation that 4 various cables and power sources failed, then suddenly every one of them worked again. Capacitor\motherboard or just Devil's job?

could be as simple as a bad solder joint on the usb port of the camera.

how old is your camera, and where did you buy it? many sellers are on the forum here, and so is @viofo

Bad joint? Fixed itself? :D

I bought it 6 months ago at Banggood. It is my second Viofo product which comes faulty. There is clearly smth still (or in the past) which passed Quality Control without means to pass it, in reality.

Obviously didn't fix itself permanently, but all the plugging and unplugging may have bent it in a way that now it's making better contact... For the moment. If that's the problem then the "fix" won't last long.

it's the voltage + cable AWG. my both camera's screens flicker when powered from car's electricity and don't flicker when powered from power banks. power banks provide higher voltage. I use 24/28 AWG 15ft cables, couldn't find 22 AWG 15ft.

it's the voltage + cable AWG. my both camera's screens flicker when powered from car's electricity and don't flicker when powered from power banks. power banks provide higher voltage. I use 24/28 AWG 15ft cables, couldn't find 22 AWG 15ft.
You're confusing voltage and amperage. And it's not so much a power bank versus a cigarette adapter, as the quality of the adapter. And remember that all USB ports are not created equal. They all provide 5 volts, because if it were higher or lower, it would fry stuff. Most car USB ports (built into a stereo or from the factory) can't power a dashcam because they can't provide enough amps. Power banks and wall phone chargers can often supply 2-3 amps, but a computer or car stereo USB port only supplies 0.5 amps in most cases. The camera needs about 1 amp at 5v. That's why we always tell people to use the adapter that came with the camera, so we know it can provide enough amps.

Obviously didn't fix itself permanently, but all the plugging and unplugging may have bent it in a way that now it's making better contact... For the moment. If that's the problem then the "fix" won't last long.

Well, I drive with it for few days at temperatures of 24*C outside (meaning double inside when car stays on parking) and nothing happens.
Hopefully it will stay like this forever.

Back