How long your Yi dashcam works without power source(with its own battery)???

sone983

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
Dash Cam
Yi dashcam,VIOFO WR 1
I tried mine and it works for maybe a 10 seconds max.

Not even a minute in my estimation. To check, instead of unplugging it until it shut down, I turned it on while unplugged and fully charged. It showed the battery to be full but then quickly dropped a bar and then shut down shortly thereafter showing no bars. Not sufficient time I think to show a police officer what happened without an alternative power supply handy.

FWIW & IMHO, unplugging it from a power source then waiting for it to shut down wont show the actual battery life because the camera is designed to automatically initiate a shut down procedure once external power is removed.

Not even a minute in my estimation. To check, instead of unplugging it until it shut down, I turned it on while unplugged and fully charged. It showed the battery to be full but then quickly dropped a bar and then shut down shortly thereafter showing no bars. Not sufficient time I think to show a police officer what happened without an alternative power supply handy.

FWIW & IMHO, unplugging it from a power source then waiting for it to shut down wont show the actual battery life because the camera is designed to automatically initiate a shut down procedure once external power is removed.
Well,I will try it your way,but I don't think it will last too much longer than this in video above.

Well,I will try it your way,but I don't think it will last too much longer than this in video above.

:) I dont that it will either, as noted in my comment, on its own power, mine doesnt last long at all

:) I dont that it will either, as noted in my comment, on its own power, mine doesnt last long at all
I tried but didn't have time it till turned off by itself,worked for 3 minutes and I stopped measuring time.When I have more time I will test it properly.(First I turned the dashcam off,and charged it until red light stopped,then I pull out cable from power source and turned dashcam on by pressing the ON button and it lasts 3 minutes.)

Finally I do the testing and record it.Sorry for my english I hope you can understand me.

Last edited:
I'm thinking maybe they switched the newer ones to capacitors, because mine shuts off much quicker than the video ... max 15-20 seconds, or less.

No,try like me,turn the dashcam off while its connected to a power source(cigarette lighter or powerbank) and wait after it is fully charged(when red light turns off),then pull out cable from a power source and turn your Yi dashcam on.
I didnt hear they use capacitors in Yi now,bought my Yi 3-4 months ago.

How do you turn it off, while its still connected to power? So your video is showing you lasted for 21 minutes on the )fully charged) battery?

How do you turn it off, while its still connected to power?
As you can see on video,I use button on the right side to turn dashcam on or off while its still connected to power.

It's not clear since the video is so long, exactly what is being shown, but I do get your point that the battery probably isn't being charged, unless you turn off the video and leave the power connected, to charge it. What isn't clear is exactly how to turn off the recording, to accomplish that. Can you point to an exact point in the video where you demonstrate this? Like at 14:17

It's not clear since the video is so long, exactly what is being shown, but I do get your point that the battery probably isn't being charged, unless you turn off the video and leave the power connected, to charge it. What isn't clear is exactly how to turn off the recording, to accomplish that. Can you point to an exact point in the video where you demonstrate this? Like at 14:17
I think what you are searching for is on 2:34 at video.Video is long because I had to test it and record it,that other people can see and follow video step by step and test your dashcam youself and how long does battery lasts long without power source on its own battery.I hope I understood what are you asking me and helped you.

So your video is showing you lasted for 21 minutes on the )fully charged) battery?[/QUOTE]
No its not lasted for a 21 minute on the fully charged battery,I start recording before I turned the power source/dashcam on/start charging(red light on).

Thank you, yes that was what I was looking for. I just held down the power button and its remaining red, so I'm guessing its charging now. It must not every build up a charge in the battery from the normal on/off again usage where its always recording. I'll leave it plugged in (I have two of them) and see how long till the red light goes away (indicating full charge). Thanks !!

@kobo Did I do it the way you meant,properly?

Thank you, yes that was what I was looking for. I just held down the power button and its remaining red, so I'm guessing its charging now. It must not every build up a charge in the battery from the normal on/off again usage where its always recording. I'll leave it plugged in (I have two of them) and see how long till the red light goes away (indicating full charge). Thanks !!
Now,try how long they(both dashcams) will lasts long on their own batteries and share your results with rest of us.While you waiting dashcams to go off and battery drains,you should enter a menu and push buttons on your dashcam to drain the battery faster,because that is really what you gonna do if you need to show your recorded video to a police officer or insurance agent ot anyone else.
You are welcome!!!Glad I know I helped someone.

Hmm, didn't get the results expected. I returned to both my cameras after 1.5 hrs (charging, left with both lights on red). After the 1.5 hours ... the red lights had turned off on both (no longer charging) ... Then I tried running them off battery only ... only lasted 10-15 seconds once again.

I'm not really overly concerned as my vehicle power stays on, so I can run them as long as needed.

I also have tried them off a 16000 mah battery pack ... and that seems like it would power them for days if needed. I was hoping I could turn off the battery pack and get them to both go on/off that way, but the battery pack turns on, but had no way to manually turn off, except unplugging everything.

Sorry if results not as you expected.When you returned to your dashcams after a 1.5hours of charging,did you first turned them off by pressing button for on/off,than pull out power source cable out of them,and then again turned them on by the button for on/off???My dashcam turns on and start charging every time I start car engine or when I pull out usb charger from cigarette lighter socket and put it back in cigarette lighter socket.I have doubts you didnt do it properly,or I just want you to have same results like I do and to be satisfied with your Yi like I am.

Back