New here, need a little help

Daniel Kuntz

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I got my dr6500gw 2ch last week, I sent blackvue a pic of the sn and it connected via WiFi for the cloud password.
They wrote me back saying that my camera was made just before the Date to support the cloud. They went on to inform me that if I send camera back to the distributor in Canada that they would upgrade it for free.
I contacted the distributor and forwarded the email from blackvue and I was told not to send unit in yet for the "internal WiFi swap" with a new one that will work with the cloud. As they needed to confirm with blackvue about the Fees and that they also were out of these "parts" and were waiting for blackvue to send more.

I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle one and how long is this all going to take. I would really like to have the cloud.

I am going back to where I got the camera tomorrow to see if I can just get the newer version of the camera, if they have it. I know what the new boxes look like now, so at least I'll try.

In the meantime I have both apps on my phone and the viewer on my computer. The only app I can figure out how to use so far is the old one. I also had a ton of trouble loading on newest software for it. I could only get the 1.09 legacy to work for some reason.

I drive a jeep and should have bought the truck version, did not find out about it till after purchase. I can just buy the rear truck camera to mount on the exterior of the jeep a little later, they are compatible.

I would really like to be able to see my driving live and be able to see behind me live from my phone.

So I guess I will see what happens when I take camera back tomorrow and take it from there.

Does anyone have any advice on connecting to the over the cloud app, in the WiFi part? I'm kinda stuck and does anyone have a suggestion for the best version for stability and the link?

Thanks

Dan

Last edited:
So I switched cameras, for a new one from where I got it. Just plugged the micro card in, in the parking lot and it worked right off the bat. I emailed blackvue with new info to see if this one would connect with cloud, before I left parking lot got an email saying no too old still and to once again send it in to distributor for upgrade lol. Anyway I connected to the app and hit the little camera icon and could see myself live the whole way home. So does this mean I was connected to the cloud or does that just mean the WiFi feed let you see live what you are recording?

Hi Dan

I think it may just mean that your camera is working and you were just looking at the live view.

I've read somewhere that there's something in the law preventing drivers viewing live dash cam recording for more than a very short time, and this cut-off is built into the cameras (or something like that).

Did you check for any recorded files, after your drive home?

Anyway I connected to the app and hit the little camera icon and could see myself live the whole way home. So does this mean I was connected to the cloud or does that just mean the WiFi feed let you see live what you are recording?
You were watching live view. While watching live view I believe you are not recording that video and.. you are also viewing at a lower resolution then what the camera normally records in.

It was on live view the whole way home and recorded the whole way home. Well I checked about 6 or 7 files spread out, saw myself pulling out of parking lot, about 3 or 4 videos of me driving and me pulling into garage. Live view was on the whole way home, the only thing that way different was when watching files after, they would only play one, then you had to go back and double click next file to start next one, instead of it just automatically playing next video. The drive was about 15min and it was clear and realtime the whole way home. Now do I plan on doing this all the time no, it was just a test. Yes the live video might have been a touch less like 720 to 1080 for example, I was driving and it was on my dash, I find google maps way more distracting than a smaller version of what is going on exactly in a smaller version just below the windshield.
Well thanks for letting me know what it's called and that it's not the cloud.

Last edited:
Well distributor has emailed and said they will replace the "internal WiFi" on my camera to the newest version to be cloud compatible. For free. Well blackvue will be paying. Anyway I will be shipping camera in a day or two, good thing is they are somewhat close and hopefully it won't take very long. Will update when I get my camera back.

New question, (Will be sending camera in next week for wifi cloud upgrade and buying rear truck camera for my jeep.) Meanwhile a new problem has popped up, when I'm watching videos through the app in WiFi (on my phone S7) it says unable to show map as your smartphone is not connected to the internet? And its a split screen with video footage at the top playing and message on the bottom? First I have never seen the map before just footage when i double click a file and if my phone is connected to the camera via WiFi, why woundnt my phone be connected to the internet?

In your viewer, fourth button from the top right is the map (myway viewer).

Thanks, blackvue said it's because I am connected to the camera, I cannot be connected to the internet at the same time with my S7 phone. They said I need the cloud in order to be connected to the camera and the internet at the same time.

Back