Camera failed

Stumann

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
viofo A119
My Viofo a119 has failed. It powers up and the Viofo name comes up on the screen, but it never goes past that. I have tried different cards, I even tried no card, but it doesn't work. How do I deal with warantee on this unit?

The fix for this is to re-update the firmware a second time. (Even if it's already on the latest)

Http://VIOFO.com
Click on support.

I would plug the power cable into the side of the camera rather than the GPS mount after you've recovered. (To prevent the firmware corruption)

I tired that, I even tried it in my PC and into a 5V power supply. My PC doesn't acknowledge it's existence, and the results are the same with my power supply.

Contact your seller for warranty support. Where did you buy it?

I bought it on Ebay on Jan 7,2017, user name trustinchina. I just sent them an email. I was just hoping someone might know a fix...?

If the firmware update doesn't work, try another memory card.

Getting warranty service from China won't be easy if that generic eBay seller even responds at all. Shipping will be very expensive and it will take many weeks.

I recommend you try to buy locally in the future so you get easier warranty support and quicker service.

I'll be darn, I got it working. I was able to put the firmware on the card through my PC, then put the card in the camera and powered it up. It works!!! Now I just wonder why it failed in the first place...? Thanks OCD Tronic!

I'll be darn, I got it working. I was able to put the firmware on the card through my PC, then put the card in the camera and powered it up. It works!!! Now I just wonder why it failed in the first place...? Thanks OCD Tronic!

if you've been powering via the GPS mount that can corrupt the firmware on the V1 model, once you've sorted that best to power via the camera

Yes, I do have the camera wired to an ignition only source. That makes it automatic so I don't have to think about it. Why is that a bad idea? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Yes, I do have the camera wired to an ignition only source. That makes it automatic so I don't have to think about it. Why is that a bad idea? Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

He meant plug the end of the mini USB power cord into the side of the camera rather than into the GPS Mount. GPS will continue to function and the power will remain stable.

As far as an ignition switched ACC power source goes yes this is a normal install. Camera turns on and off with the engine. (normal/good)

So if i plug the power directly to the camera, the GPS will still function normal? But that takes away from the ability to quickly remove the camera. I like to remove the camera and stash it in the glovebox whenever I leave the car. I have it all neatly wired under the headliner with no extra slack in the cord. I'm starting to think this VIOFO is a real POS!!

So if i plug the power directly to the camera, the GPS will still function normal? But that takes away from the ability to quickly remove the camera. I like to remove the camera and stash it in the glovebox whenever I leave the car. I have it all neatly wired under the headliner with no extra slack in the cord. I'm starting to think this VIOFO is a real POS!!

They're not designed to be detached/reattached every time you use them - no camera is.

They're not designed to be detached/reattached every time you use them - no camera is.

Correct and that is why it has a removable micro sd card to look at stuff on your computer or wherever

I tend to agree, the viofo a119 isn't reliable enough. GPS module is a joke which I think I have to give up very soon, however my camera continues to restart and hang. Waste of time.

I'm realizing maybe the unit is not ready for Hong Kong (South China) type heat. I'm finding on hot days (long drives) the cameras is on continous reboot loop...

I tend to agree, the viofo a119 isn't reliable enough. GPS module is a joke which I think I have to give up very soon, however my camera continues to restart and hang. Waste of time.

I'm realizing maybe the unit is not ready for Hong Kong (South China) type heat. I'm finding on hot days (long drives) the cameras is on continous reboot loop...

Yes, GPS will continue to function if you plug the power cord into the side of the camera rather than via the GPS Mount. Power will remain stable and it should be very reliable after that.

Yes, GPS will continue to function if you plug the power cord into the side of the camera rather than via the GPS Mount. Power will remain stable and it should be very reliable after that.
to be fair I need to try plugging into camera directly. I need this thing to be reliable.

A Bad memory card can cause the behavior you described as well.

You have a 1 year warranty. If you've exhausted troubleshooting contact your seller.

64GB lexar 633x hmmm...
There have been several recent reports of problems with that card as Lexar appears to have changed the manufacturing process :( That is a real shame as it used to be regarded as one of the best cards for dashcams.

Phil

Back