3M Tape came off from the plastic side

mlapaglia

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife's car has the v3 camera. Yesterday the entire camera came off of the glass, leaving behind only the tape. The tape separated from the plastic mount. I know it has to be applied correctly to adhere well to the glass, but has this happened to anyone else?

My wife's car has the v3 camera. Yesterday the entire camera came off of the glass, leaving behind only the tape. The tape separated from the plastic mount. I know it has to be applied correctly to adhere well to the glass, but has this happened to anyone else?

we have had a couple of cases of this happen before, there was some bad tape in the last batch I think, there's a spare tape in the box, I'll have @Street Guardian USA follow up with you to get your details and we'll get some updated tape out to you, have some shipping to the USA next week for them

We've already thrown the box away unfortunately :( Is there a replacement from a box store or Amazon we can buy in the meantime?

We've already thrown the box away unfortunately :( Is there a replacement from a box store or Amazon we can buy in the meantime?

I'll get @Street Guardian USA on it for you as soon as he's up, still early morning in Nevada, I'm sure he can get something on the way to you today to get you going, apologies for the inconvenience

Yes. Go to a Home Depot, Target, Walmart or local hardware store and buy a roll of 3M Scotch 5952 VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape. Cut and fit two pieces to fit the back of the mount and you should be good to go. This is basically the same tape that comes with the camera but on a roll in a different size.

3M.png

Cool I'll just use that, you don't need to send more tape lol

I'll get @Street Guardian USA on it for you as soon as he's up, still early morning in Nevada, I'm sure he can get something on the way to you today to get you going, apologies for the inconvenience

I think we posted at the exact same moment. :)

I always keep a roll of this handy and I always advise other dash cam friends to do the same. It's been a life saver on many occasions and has many uses other than holding dash cams to the windshield.

Cool I'll just use that, you don't need to send more tape lol

It wouldn't hurt to have some spares, so why not take advantage of @jokiin's generous offer. You never know when you may need to move or remount the camera. (Like if you ever need a windshield replacement.)

Either way, when you remount your camera make sure to clean the surfaces with a bit of alcohol before applying the tape to insure good adhesion.

I think we posted at the exact same moment. :)

I always keep a roll of this handy and I always advise other dash cam friends to do the same. It's been a life saver on many occasions and has many uses other than holding dash cams to the windshield.

it shouldn't normally fall off, we have had about 10 cases of it happening from a recent production though, seems some issue with the tape itself, trouble is you don't know where they are until someone says something, will be sending some replacement tape to Jon to keep in stock for any that come up but just remembered I also gave him about 20 spare mounts on the weekend which he took back to the US with him so he does actually have some spares in stock so should be able to get that out today

Yes. Go to a Home Depot, Target, Walmart or local hardware store and buy a roll of 3M Scotch 5952 VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape. Cut and fit two pieces to fit the back of the mount and you should be good to go. This is basically the same tape that comes with the camera but on a roll in a different size.

View attachment 30443
Great tip! That tape works very well.

it shouldn't normally fall off, we have had about 10 cases of it happening from a recent production though, seems some issue with the tape itself, trouble is you don't know where they are until someone says something, will be sending some replacement tape to Jon to keep in stock for any that come up but just remembered I also gave him about 20 spare mounts on the weekend which he took back to the US with him so he does actually have some spares in stock so should be able to get that out today

I guess I'm not your typical dash cam owner but over the years of having different cameras and other gadgets in my vehicle I do find having a small amount of spare tape handy is worth the trouble. Funny thing about this discussion but I guess I was also one of the people who experienced this same problem. My SG9665GC tape failed about a year ago and having some spare tape in my truck saved the day. Jon eventually sent me some spare mounts when I mentioned it but my roll of spare tape kept me rolling with the cam.

It works on a lot of surfaces around the house as well.

I use it for all kinds of projects. Most recently I used a very tiny piece of it to hold the battery in place in a Mobius as well as to mount two Mobius cameras on a small board for a comparison test.

Had this happen with my V3 if you're noting numbers. Backup tape in the box has been going strong since so all good :)

Had this happen with my V3 if you're noting numbers. Backup tape in the box has been going strong since so all good :)

thanks, we've had about 10 cases reported which means there's a good chance that at least 20 or 30 have had it happen and just put the spare tape on and said nothing, it's small numbers in the scheme of things but still more than we like to see, we think there may have been some sort of contaminant on the tape, have been using the same for the last few years without issue then all of a sudden we get a few in a matter of weeks so something happened, anyway if anyone does have it happen and they need spare tape they only have to get in touch with purchase details etc and we'll get some in the post to them

I had the same happen with my old Lukas in my sisters car, tried new tape 3-4 times and it would just not stick on the camera any more.
tried cleaning bottom of camera really good and in the end even sanded it with 800 grit sand paper to make sure the surface was 100% clean and flat.

So in the end i put some CA glue on the bottom of the camera "foot" and then pressed that back on the dual sided tape on the windscreen.

Since that the camera have not moved a fraction of a inch :cool:

I just had the same happen to me, VHB let go on the mount side and was still attached to the windshield. Ordered my V3 on March 26th from Amazon. This is probably the first 90 F day it's been in since installation. Camera ended up dangling from the power cord in the parking lot for a while. Figured you could add me to the tally. Good thing there are two extra VHB pads included in the box! Love the camera.

I just had the same happen to me, VHB let go on the mount side and was still attached to the windshield. Ordered my V3 on March 26th from Amazon. This is probably the first 90 F day it's been in since installation. Camera ended up dangling from the power cord in the parking lot for a while. Figured you could add me to the tally. Good thing there are two extra VHB pads included in the box! Love the camera.

I just shipped some spares to @Street Guardian USA this week so they'll have them next week so if anyone has this happen and doesn't have a spare tape can just let us know and we can get a replacement out in the post

Back