808 #18 serious problems - can't switch it on anymore

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just wanted to tell you experiences with 808 #18 key chain cams

I bought a #18V2 several weeks ago. I made some dash cam videos and tested it at low light situations and so on. After recording maybe one or two hours on the SD card I couldn't switch it on anymore, I asked the seller and they told me to send it back to them and they will fix it so I send it back to china. I didn't got an answer in the last few weeks.

I also bought another 808, the #18 and now after I inserted the SD card it's the same problem I can't even switch it on the red LED isn't lighting even if I try to charge the battery. If someone can hep me with the 808 #18 that would be very much appreciated because the official seller in china does not :|

I'm wondering so much because MTZ had such good experiences with this camera

A couple of things to try:
•Use a different USB cable
•Try another SD card
•Try the reset button

What happens when you turn it on without a SD card inside? What kind of SD card are you using a Class 10? If so try a Class 4.

Trying a different USB cable is a good suggestion. I thought USB is USB but I have a USB cable that seems to be thinner, and my dashcam refuses to boot up with it, doesn't seem to supply enough power. (it's a differend dashcam though)

cantremember said:
Trying a different USB cable is a good suggestion. I thought USB is USB but I have a USB cable that seems to be thinner, and my dashcam refuses to boot up with it, doesn't seem to supply enough power. (it's a differend dashcam though)

In the case of dashcams there's actually a few different wiring configurations that are commonly used (3 completely different ones that I'm aware of) so it may look the same but isn't always the same

jokiin said:
cantremember said:

In the case of dashcams there's actually a few different wiring configurations that are commonly used (3 completely different ones that I'm aware of) so it may look the same but isn't always the same
I thought that was the case when it's plugged to the car lighter. But i get this when I use the standard USB to connect it to the PC. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't at all, and sometimes it works for 2 minutes before suddenly shutting down. And with another cable seems to work straight away, strange stuff :)

The #18 has weird wiring compared to normal micro USB so you need to make sure you use the cable that came with it.

You need to use the power adaptor that came with it, plug it into the cigarette lighter socket in car. It will then light up. There is a wiring difference in the mini usb plug that prevent it from connecting to the computer. You need the correct usb cord plug, I think the cord plug from the apple s3 works according to unreliable sources.

How did you solved the problem?

enjoy,
Mtz

The 808 #18 (NOT 808 #18V2 or 808#18A) have a new firmware.
Here.

808_#18_FW_20131009_MOV

- fixed the „Loop Mode” bug when „Motion Detect” was used. Now the old clips are erased when the card is full.
- the filenames now are named DVCAMxxxx instead of PTDCxxxx.

Format your card before upgrading to the new firmware. The format is needed only to be sure no older files are on SD Card when using the camera with the new firmware.
Also is good for your card to format it once a month.

You can use the same S18config.exe V.5.0.0.4 tool to setup your camera.

CAUTION:
This firmware is not for the V2 or A version of the 808 #18 camera. If you will use it on 808 #18V2 the „Auto-Start when charger detected” feature will not work.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back