Hot pixel issue in my 119s?

I just took a picture of the video at night to compare with the indoor picture. It's definitely noticeable but not the end of the world. My previous cam was a Mini801 and didn't recall seeing that kind of behavior. We use the cam mostly to archive our vacation footage. I got the cam from a seller off ebay and have a 30 day return window, but not sure if it's worth the effort of exchanging if this is normal.

test.jpg

It's not "normal" but certainly doesn't render the camera useless. Anyway, hot pixels can be easily remedied by calibrating the camera. I believe Viofo has or will explain the procedure for doing so on the A119s.

It's not "normal" but certainly doesn't render the camera useless. Anyway, hot pixels can be easily remedied by calibrating the camera. I believe Viofo has or will explain the procedure for doing so on the A119s.
VIOFO has mentioned a procedure for the A119, which includes downgrading to an older firmware to access the ENG mode. I don't think they've added or enabled the calibration process for the A119S yet.

VIOFO has mentioned a procedure for the A119, which includes downgrading to an older firmware to access the ENG mode. I don't think they've added or enabled the calibration process for the A119S yet.

I see. I was sort of under the impression they were about to offer a better method to deal with this, similar to the SG9665GC. I also didn't realize there was a need to revert to older firmware. Thanks for clarifying.

Having this issue myself

Hoping VIOFO responds with a way to get rid of these. Would be a shame to send it back honestly.

I'll ask how the A119S is done, stand by as I wait for a factory reply. I'm in Hong Kong for a few weeks so don't have one handy to test at the moment.

Once we confirm how it's done, feel free to run this as many times as you want. (Try both hot with the camera on for 15 minutes first or cold). The Sony Sensor is being pushed running at maximum sensitivity so it's pretty tough to get every single pixel 100% perfect without losing night performance. (but you shouldn't have any fully bright ones after Calibration)

The challenge with calibration is when VIOFO does them in the factory on a brand new sensor not every bright pixel will show up in such a short time

as an FYI (from Rick) all sensors have this, Sony acknowledges that it is impossible to avoid based on current manufacturing technology and consider it to be normal, there are other variables as well, see below

the calibration process (calibration is probably an inaccurate description but that's how it is termed) does not actually calibrate the sensor but masks the effect by mapping which pixels show this issue and when the pixels around the affected pixel are dark or light (whichever the case may be) turn off the affected pixel,

Sony Doc:
14jR4pd.jpg

I'll ask how the A119S is done, stand by as I wait for a factory reply. I'm in Hong Kong for a few weeks so don't have one handy to test at the moment.

Once we confirm how it's done, feel free to run this as many times as you want. (Try both hot with the camera on for 15 minutes first or cold). The Sony Sensor is being pushed running at maximum sensitivity so it's pretty tough to get every single pixel 100% perfect without losing night performance. (but you shouldn't have any fully bright ones after Calibration)

The challenge with calibration is when VIOFO does them in the factory on a brand new sensor not every bright pixel will show up in such a short time

as an FYI (from Rick) all sensors have this, Sony acknowledges that it is impossible to avoid based on current manufacturing technology and consider it to be normal, there are other variables as well, see below

the calibration process (calibration is probably an inaccurate description but that's how it is termed) does not actually calibrate the sensor but masks the effect by mapping which pixels show this issue and when the pixels around the affected pixel are dark or light (whichever the case may be) turn off the affected pixel,

Sony Doc:
14jR4pd.jpg

Interestingly, cosmic rays may also be the cause of unexplained errors on SD memory cards and other computer gear.

Cosmic rays and computers

[URL='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error#Cosmic_rays_creating_energetic_neutrons_and_protons']Cosmic rays creating energetic neutrons and protons
[/URL]

@OCD Tronic Any update on this? I just received the a119s v2 purchased from you via Amazon. I have at least as many hot pixels as the pic the OP posted. Kind of disappointed with it.

@OCDTronic Any update on this? I just received the a119s v2 purchased from you via Amazon. I have at least as many hot pixels as the pic the OP posted. Kind of disappointed with it.

Hello I just returned from China/Shenzhen and met with the VIOFO team. They are waiting for their engineers to enable a specialized updated Novatek SDK Calibration routine coming soon so hot pixels should be addressed in a future firmware update. Stand by to stand by.

I know that in the pro DSLR camera world, even with high end full frame sensors, you can occasionally run into hot or sometimes more accurately called "stuck" pixels. . On small sensors that are pushed with high iso and WDR and such, I think if you really look, your most likely going to find them. There are always going to be "pixel peepers" we call them, who take a high iso shot, and them zoom to 400% and put their nose on the computer monitor to look for....I dunno, what ever they think they are looking for. Where in reality, in print, you'll never notice. There use to be a trick with DSLRs that had stuck pixels, where you could "unstick" them by deliberately over exposing a sky or white wall shot. Also, it's generally a cluster of pixels together rather than a single one.
CRS

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W A119S 7
S A119S 9
BCHobbyist A119S 22
Peylix A119S 36
NI_DashCam A119S 4
Back