Confused about SD card format?

MondoTV

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My DDPai M6 plus insists on formatting my SDXC 64GB Sandisk card as FAT32. This breaks format restrictions for these cards - they are supposed to be formatted in exFAT. It won't even read on a Mac. This card is Class 10 rated @ 10MB/s and will actually do sustained transfers a little higher than that in my tests (around 12MB/s) - this should be plenty for the DDPAI with a data rate of around 10Mb/s. My Advice to anyone out there would be to stick with 32GB SDHC card, around Class 10 should give you plenty of overhead. Nothing below Class6.

I let my ddpai format the card (64gb and I assume fat32) and it reads just fine otg to my phone and on the PC.

Yes it will work on a PC - won't work on a Mac (because the OS is expecting a 64bit file system). The point I was making was that you aren't supposed to format those cards as FAT32. An SDXC card is designed and tested to use exFAT. Using the wrong format points to a lack of basic standards knowledge from DDPAI.

I didn't want to start an argument. When you say most cameras you must be referring to dashcams (I only own the DDPai), because I own a Sony FS700, an A7sII, a PXW-X70, a Panasonic GH4, a Nikon D800 and I've used a ton of others and they all format SDXC cards as exFAT because that is the correct standard, it can record files greater than 4GB and it is readable on all major OS's. As I use lots of cameras I was just questioning how wise it is to break a standard?
Surely the fact that you can't read the cards from the camera on a mac should be a concern for a manufacturer?
Anyway lets just agree that dashcams, for whatever reason, are different.

Yes I was referring to dashcams, that is what this site is all about after all, the majority of dashcams will format SDXC cards FAT32, dashcams that format the cards as exFAT are in the minority, they obviously have something wrong in their FAT32 implementation though if you have issues with it on your Mac, that's not normal

Back