Updating firmware on a SJ9000 clone?

mozzarella

Reaction score
Country
United States
Edited my extra details out due to it being confusing. Short and to the point now.

Does anyone know how to use a .fex and .img to actually update one of these cameras?

Last edited:
generic cameras are generally not supported, it might look the same as some other no name model but that doesn't mean a lot with these things

generic cameras are generally not supported, it might look the same as some other no name model but that doesn't mean a lot with these things

The manufacturer sent me the updated firmware files for my particular generic, but the update isn't working. I wasn't planning on trying to use another products firmware on my camera, just thinking since it looked similar, that it might have a similar update process, actually the instructions my manufacturer provided with the files is identical to the video. I can see where this might have been misleading and I will edit my OP to remove the extra info.
Do you know why my camera isn't doing anything with the files my manufacturer provided? or how to use the mentioned files to update a camera?

the .fex and .img files suggest your hardware is different to this one, or they've sent you the wrong files, either or

the .fex and .img files suggest your hardware is different to this one, or they've sent you the wrong files, either or
These files are the boot script (.fex) and the partition image (.img) for the new firmware.
Where else could I search or ask to find someone who knows how to use the files?
I'm hoping someone comes along and can tell me what I'm doing wrong. The manufacturer is currently working with me to figure out how to do this.

if he had allwinner the process was hold up while on the firmware version page. it doesn't automatically do it.

Hello all, new to site and frustrated with similar situation. I've a SJ9000 clone, called a SooCoo SJ8000, last years model that looks identical to AussieKev posting over at goprawn. This is 1 of 5 different cam I use to film my girls games. 2 very similar cameras that I have are this one and a Lightdow LD-4K. I was frustrated with 2 gig files that both cameras recorded. I was looking for a 4 gig file which my other camera recorded in and fat32 should allow. I obtained a firmware update from Lightdow and applied it with success. Not thinking, I applied the same firmware update to the SooCoo SJ8000 and it wasn't as successful. The camera firmware update went exactly identical to the Ligthdow but the end result was the "white screen". I believe this indicates that the screen drivers are different. The camera chimes when starting, chimes with mode changes, chimes with default recording, and chimes during shutdown. I get basic video when I record with the crippled camera but it appears not of the quality of the Lightdow. Other functions, camera shake, gyro, etc., are not functioning.
I tried contacting SooCoo and the firmware they sent wasn't successful, though they indicate that it is 100% correct, end of story. Got the feeling like they've better things to do. I've tried several other brand firmware with the same outcome, no update response. The only success, limited at that, is the Lightdow firmware. Until I tried the Ele firware shown on the link above. I get the red led, then blue led, then blank with camera startup chime (and white screen like the Lightdow). But, when I turnoff the camera, remove the usb cable, install the battery, go for start there's nothing.
Two things I've noticed are that the simi-responsive procedures are fw with a ~3,739kb bin file size. The ~3,482kb files are completely unresponsive. Additionally, the two ~3,739kb files use a LD (loader?) bin file to load the firmware. The others are said by the supplier to work by themselves. I've tried the bin files that were to work alone with the 2 loader files with no success. Dead, nada, nothing, zip.
Any ideas?

That site looks incredibly promising... though I was thinking it had something to do with shrimp at first. haha.
Thank you for sharing. I should also mention that I took my camera apart and found it to have a Novatek 9660BG chipset, so I can't even update it using .fex files. :(

shrimp!? you mean prawn...uhm, which look and taste so similar, hehe ;)
check goprawn again, in the Novatek section https://www.goprawn.com/forum/action-cam-discussion-forum

Hi folks
The GoPrawn is not working , anyone knows whats up ?
I am also looking for firmware for my camera, it has novatek nt96660

Heres how it looks like, what model is this exactly ?
vlcsnap-2022-10-27-17h02m14s643.pngvlcsnap-2022-10-27-17h02m08s510.png

Hi again, I disassembled my camera and was able to see whats inside.
I will post photos and if anyone has a working firmware, please share it
So far I think I exhausted EVERY option there is from browsing the internet extensively from Japanese,Korean,Chinese,to English,Polish and Russian websites,as well as different search engines, contacting people on Youtube videos, Facebook groups, even trying to contact sellers and manufacturers.
No luck.

So please, if you have anything, share it

I took photos of camera, sensor, ribbon cable of the sensor, dRam chip, CPU chip and Cmos flash chip(sorted in that order)

Camera casevlcsnap-2022-10-30-23h41m00s030.pnghelp1 sensor text on ribbon cable.jpgsamsung chip.jpgnt96660.png25l3206e.png

Back