Mobius Super Capacitor.

All of mine are from eletoponline 365 as well, with the super caps from Banggood.

All of mine are from eletoponline 365 as well, with the super caps from Banggood.
Actually,you can PM us for mobius accessories ebay purchase link also!

Actually,you can PM us for mobius accessories ebay purchase link also!

Handy to know, do you give good discounts to forums members? :D

Both Mobius ran perfectly this morning - vehicle was driven last yesterday.

It is ok for discount,and please let us your ebay id when access to our ebay CS,thanks for your attention!

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 2 months & 2 years 11 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

No it didn't. Both worked as normal although I expect the Capacitor unit to lose time/date but it didn't.
My units was from "eletoponline 365".
I'm truly astounded, all 3 of mine have the supercaps in them & none will hold info for more than a week, they never have, even from new.

I'm truly astounded, all 3 of mine have the supercaps in them & none will hold info for more than a week, they never have, even from new.
The best I've had is normal performance & time / date retention after a 9 day break.

IMG_5497.JPG

The best I've had is normal performance & time / date retention after a 9 day break.

View attachment 30170
I was approximating - finish work Thursday pm, go on hol the next day, return the following Friday & back into work monday. Thankfully, I always remembered to remove the cam so I could sync it on sunday evening.

is it normal for mobius camera to be very hot even when you just use it for a few minutes in your car..?

The metal heat sink can get hot fairly quickly but it's supposed to. The plastic body takes a while to get really warm. How long is the "few minutes" you're speaking of, and are you referring to the cam body?

Phil

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 3 months & exactly 3 years ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

:) Update. My front Mobius failed again after an extended period of not driving. The rear worked perfectly- they're using different power sources.

The engine cranking appears to be the root of the problem- but only when the car has been sitting for an extended time. I watched it start up recording (after unlocking the car) and then started the engine- it immediately stopped recording. Normally the engine cranking doesn't affect it. Manually pushing the Mobius power button started it and it's been fine since then (driving every 3 days or so since.) The date had reset to 01 Jan 2012.

The rear camera is wired to an "IGN on" power source so doesn't start up before starting the engine. (The vehicle has key-less push button start.)

My rear Mobius is also killing my DAB radio signal- another issue to look into.

Edit: I just checked the rear cam and it also had totally flattened the capacitor with the date reset to Jan 2012.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the caps are not retaining their charge well enough, plus that your battery voltage is so low at cranking that the cam(s) are shutting down from low voltage. The caps loss may be due to wear and tear, excessive time between charges, or both. The battery voltage may be a number of issues, bet here's the scenario: when turning the key to "on" (even momentarily as happens when you pass that position going to "start") that signals the cams to boot up. When the cam discovers a voltage drop below it's minimum, that signals the cam(s) to shut down or ut disrupts the boot process resulting in improper operation. It also appears here that one of your PS's isn't providing 5V to the cam well enough, probably because of the low car battery voltage situation.

If you've got an analog voltmeter you can measure the voltage at cranking on the USB side of the PS's to see if they are momentarily dropping out. A digital meter won't stabilize a reading quickly enough to show this ;)

I'm thinking you've either got a car battery on it's way out or it's not holding a charge well enough (too long between car uses or perhaps parasitic drain) to keep the PS's going during cranking.

Phil

.....I'm thinking you've either got a car battery on it's way out or it's not holding a charge well enough (too long between car uses or perhaps parasitic drain) to keep the PS's going during cranking......

Some cars cut power to everything in order to direct all power to the starter motor. The total loss of power causes either a failed boot-up if it's within the cam's boot time (6-7s for a Mobius) or causes an immediate shutdown of the cam after it has booted up because the cam thinks the momentary power drop is its cue to switch off.
My past and present cars and my wife's car briefly had Mobius with caps but the cams were hopelessly unreliable so I had to change them back to battery and they've been fine since.

@2000rpm
You could well be right. I had too little coffee in me when I posted to remember that :coffee: Sometimes it seems that the 'smarter' that cars get, the more that stupid things happen with them :rolleyes:

I will believe that cars are truly smart when they learn to listen to me when I tell them to STFU and stay that way :p

Phil

Update- last driven 23rd May, driven today. Front camera had kept the time/ date and started up okay. Rear camera had lost the time/ date but started up okay. (I've swapped them around since last update.)

Phil, I've got push button start. So the car goes from no power to accessories/ ignition, straight to engine cranking (with foot on brake, pressing start button.) I deliberately put an "on delay" circuit in the front camera's wiring- it's the one powered off the interior lighting circuit. The idea being to provide a delay long enough for the Mobius to "sort itself out" if it does happen to lose power when cranking. It's got me thinking that something is happening after the car sits for an extended period (ie. capacitor very low/no charge) and that is causing the failures. (Remembering it works fine if driven every 5 day or so.) Perhaps I need to extend the delay circuit time or completely remove it? The rear camera (with the lost date/ weaker capacitor) is also the one that was "playing up" when mounted in the front with the delay circuit.

(The car is 12mths old and cranks over with plenty of power, so at this stage I'm not pursuing the cranking battery voltage being the problem. I will keep a closer eye on what the interior lights do when starting the engine each time. The vehicle does have a battery monitoring system that could be doing strange things after the vehicle sits for a week+ in order to maximise battery charging.)

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 4 months & 3 years 1 month ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Hi russ331,
I think that you can now update once every 3-6 months.
Unless the camera is not working properly.

Back