Power magic pro with Cellink Battery B

jackeylilin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I recently bought a Cellink battery B in order to gain more time in parking model for my Blackvue DR650-2Ch. I was thinking to connect the PMP with the Cellink battery. However, it seems that the PMP does not output enough amps to charge Cellink battery.

It will be so nice if i can combine the PMP with the additional battery. As the PMP will charge the Cellink until the car batter drops below 12V, the camera will still relay on Cellink for another 20 hours or so parking mode.

Do you guys have any similar experience on these? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I thought the Cellink was connected to ACC power so that it wasn't charging when the ignition wasn't on?

It will drain your car battery very fast (7ah vs 0.3ah for the BlackVue).

So it's not going to give you much if any time before it switches off.

I thought the Cellink was connected to ACC power so that it wasn't charging when the ignition wasn't on?

It will drain your car battery very fast (7ah vs 0.3ah for the BlackVue).

So it's not going to give you much if any time before it switches off.

Good call! 7ah is a lot than 0.3ah. i never think of it in this way. It doesnt make too much sense to use PMP in this case. I was trying to max both capabilities of them.

I wonder if the problem is due to the nature of charging.. Electricity needs a differential to flow, if the Cellink is already "topped up" providing power from the PMP will have no effect. The only way I could see this working would be with some switching electronics that would draw first from the Cellink. When the voltage drops to a predetermined level.. the PMP kicks in, charging the Cellink.. at the same time the camera is still drawing power. This conditions stays until the PMP times out or.. voltage drops and turns off.. and the camera continues until the Cellink runs out. I am sure it would be possible.. but complicated.

I wonder if the problem is due to the nature of charging.. Electricity needs a differential to flow, if the Cellink is already "topped up" providing power from the PMP will have no effect. The only way I could see this working would be with some switching electronics that would draw first from the Cellink. When the voltage drops to a predetermined level.. the PMP kicks in, charging the Cellink.. at the same time the camera is still drawing power. This conditions stays until the PMP times out or.. voltage drops and turns off.. and the camera continues until the Cellink runs out. I am sure it would be possible.. but complicated.

This is exactly what I want them to do. But the problem now is the PMP is not able to output enough level of current to charge the Cellink, which needs at least 7 amps I guess. I heard that someone can use the PMP as a "relay" so that the battery can be charged when the car is off. But I didn't figure out how to do that yet

[QUOTE="jackeylilin, post: 291379, member: 3559" ... the PMP is not able to output enough level of current to charge the Cellink, which needs at least 7 amps I guess. /QUOTE]

That's not quite correct - As Ralph2 says you need a differential for electricity to flow - and that differential is Voltage not current - in other words if the voltage on the charger is higher than what it's trying to charge then is will charge - how quickly it charges is a function of how much current flows - so if the Cellink needs 7 amps to charge, if you only supplied 1 amp it would still charge but take 7 times as long .. assuming the PMP can only supply .3 Amps then it will take 21 times longer than the charger for the Cellink.

Maybe look for another alternative - Police cars and many 4x4 vehicles that go off road for camping etc have two car batteries - most electronics/radio/fridge etc run off the second battery so the main battery always has enough charge to start the car etc, even if the second battery is dead. When the car is running both batteries are charged with a large isolating diode between the two positive battery terminals to allow both to charge but not for the main battery to "charge" the second battery - you wouldn't even need a PMP as the camera would be connected to the second battery and you could run that battery flat until it didn't have enough power left to run the camera.

Sorry i confused you with my post.

What I meant was that the Cellink will drain the car battery faster if its drawing 7A.

The PMP allows a max draw of 2A.

So yes the PMP will allow the charging of the Cellink, all be it at a slower rate of 2A. But this is draining your car battery a lot faster (nearly 7x faster) than a dashcam alone would at circa 0.3A.

Hope that makes sense now. :)

I finally figured out how to do this. I purchased an accessory power relay. It allows me to use a small current(from PMP) to activate an internal switch that allows a larger current(from fuse box)to flow to the Cellink. Hope this helps.

I finally figured out how to do this. I purchased an accessory power relay. It allows me to use a small current(from PMP) to activate an internal switch that allows a larger current(from fuse box)to flow to the Cellink. Hope this helps.

So the Dashcam is directly connected to the Cellink and you're only using the PMP to control the charging of the cellink? I'm just wondering about the value of the Cellink as it's a 6 amp hour battery that will run a 2 channel DR650GW for 19 hours and costs over $300 in Australia. A small car battery is around 50 amp hours and when connected to a PMP will probably supply at least 12 amp hours of power until the voltage drops and the PMP turns off. So the car's battery will allow the dashcam to run for 38 hours before cutting off, plus another 19 hours for the Cellink giving 57 hours total. Wouldn't it be better all round to buy a second 50AH car battery for around $99 which will give you around 158 hours of continuous runtime? There would be no need for the Cellink or the PMP as the Dashcam would be connected directly to the second battery so you'd save yourself hundreds of dollars for nearly 3 times the runtime?

Back from the dead.

I don't have the ability of adding a second battery due to space limitations. So I'm also very interested in seeing if you can use the PMP and Cellink together. As mentioned above, I'd wanna use the Cellink as the primary power source, and when the battery is discharged, power switches to drawing from the car battery, with the PMP cutting off power once the vehicle battery voltage is low.

As for using the PMP to charge the Cellink as well...that part I didn't think of previously, but I'm very interested in how you managed to do that, jackeylilin.

TIA!

I know this is an old thread and no longer monitored in case anyone Googles this topic I did just that. I installed the Cellink neo 9 and did not want draining the backup battery when parked up in the garage or at home or when simply not needed I mean no sense in draining the backup battery down unnecessarily.

To begin I connected the neo 9 the way as advised in the instructions to the cars fuse box, for charging the neo 9 through the input and to monitor the battery health if needed and you can do that through the cars constant power.

I then wired the neo 9 output to the power magic pro instead of wiring direct to the blackvue dash camera remember this output only sends power to the dash camera only 1 amp max.

When wiring direct to the power magic pro I can control when I want the camera to use the battery backup to power the dash cam to record and when I am at home, I can turn the camera off so it won’t be using any power whatsoever will save draining the backup battery down when not needed and can use the camera when needed for street parking or when parked up in a car park handy or if you needed your camera in an emergency if you had to go out and say you had already drained your backup battery then you would not have enough charge to record anything if you only drove a very short distance with the power magic pro you flip a switch and hey presto you should have a nearly charged battery as it is getting no use from last time you used it not unless it drains very fast which I doubt.

I have yet to test this setup as I only installed it so time will tell if wiring up the power magic pro has any benefits, I only used the power magic pro as I did not want to break into the 900X hard wiring cable as the wiring was already installed from my previous installation all I had to do was route the 900X new cigarette power cable and hey presto done. i know the 900X has the volatge and timer built in but I wanted to eb able to turn the camera on and off and the software on the camera does not allow on or off.

If this gives me any bother it is easy to wire the Black Vue straight to the back-up battery by way of their hard wite kit as I used spade connectors so simple process of pulling connections and reconnecting & bypassing the power magic pro.

Back