on\off feature does not apply

Jaisaii

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering buying a dash cam. However my cig plug does not turn on when car starts and does not shut down when ignition is shut off. thus any dashcam plugged in would never automatically turn on or off. is there a solution for this? I already know this is the case because my GPS sta;ys on all the time even when the car is stopped and the key is off.

Hardwire it to a switched (non-permanent) fuse.

ok sorry to be so ignorant but what is a switched fuse and where can i find one? how exactly do i use it?

Don't be, I should've been a little more descriptive.

Hardwire the camera to a fuse that's not ON all the time, one that comes ON only when the car is cranked or switched to ACC or ON . You should be able to locate one on the fuse panel that's within the cabin (mostly below the dashboard area).

You'll need a hardwire kit and a fuse-tap that matches the fuse profile of the fuses in your car's fusebox.

Last edited:
problem is that my fuse box is under the hood at the front of the car. there are no fuses inside the cabin but thanks for giving me a starting point at least. Do you know if that hardwire kit is available for the Viofo119 cam?

thank you, i'll check out those links. i appreciate your help

Back