New Micro SDXC Card for First Time Use in Mobius?

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a new microSDXC card. I want to ensure that it will work on my Mobius. Do I need to format the card through the GUI, or can I use it right away?

As mentioned by other user best to format first via the m setup program to avoid any non recorded files!

Guys, I formatted the card in the GUI. It prompted me to disconnect the camera after the GUI closes.I closed the GUI and disconnected the camera. When I replugged the camera, I get a window asking me to reformat the card. When I clicked format, I don't see an option for reformatting the card to FAT32. What should I do?

Format.png

only format the card through the Mobius software, don't use Windows
I did that. I pressed format in the GUI, then the program disconnected my camera. When I plugged in my camera, I get that window. There isn't a way to avoid it. If I press cancel, then it won't allow me to use the card or access the camera. What am I doing wrong?

Windows will not format any card larger than 32GB to Fat32- those will format only to EXFAT/ There are a number of freeware programs which will format the larger cards to fat32. Always format cards in-cam after this; with Mobius that us done with the msetup GUI. If you want to read the card or do anything else with it, that is best done with the card out of the cam in a card reader.

Windows can get cranky with added 'drives' trying to run them in ways you might not want. My workaround is to go to where the drives are listed (My PC in w8), right click on the drive, then click 'open' which will let you choose how to deal with things instead of windows. Also in than menu will be options on what you want windows to do with these by default in the future ;)

Phil

Do you have a card reader?
Yes, I have a UHS-1 card reader. What would you like me to do with it?

Windows will not format any card larger than 32GB to Fat32- those will format only to EXFAT/ There are a number of freeware programs which will format the larger cards to fat32. Always format cards in-cam after this; with Mobius that us done with the msetup GUI. If you want to read the card or do anything else with it, that is best done with the card out of the cam in a card reader.

Windows can get cranky with added 'drives' trying to run them in ways you might not want. My workaround is to go to where the drives are listed (My PC in w8), right click on the drive, then click 'open' which will let you choose how to deal with things instead of windows. Also in than menu will be options on what you want windows to do with these by default in the future ;)

Phil
I could format the card to FAT32 using an external program, but everyone said to format it in the GUI. I'm just following what everyone is telling me to do, and it's not working out for me.

Can you tell me how you did it and if it works for you? Please and thank you.

Format using the Mobius software, it will be ready to unplug once finished, put the card in the carder reader and see if Windows still prompts to format it then

Yes, the formatting in msetup alone is all you need with Mobius. It will allow you to format any card to Fat32 which is what you want here. Sorry if I was confusing in my reply ;)

I have several cams which all need Fat32, but the other cams will not change larger cards from EXFAT to Fat32 in-cam, so my habit is to first format all my cards to Fat32 in my PC with freeware, then format them in the cam again afterward, so that even if I get the cards mixed up the cams will always work fine :) That's not necessary with Mobius.

Phil

You haven't mentioned the size of your card. If it's more than 128GB you will not be able to properly format your card to FAT32 using the built-in formatter. In this case please use the freeware program guiformat.exe. This program is also available under different names. I don't know if it's possible to overcome the problem by firmware, but the developer is aware of the issue.
FWIW, I have used 128GB, 200GB and 256GB cards formatted to FAT32 by guiformat.exe in the Mobius without any problem.

You haven't mentioned the size of your card. If it's more than 128GB you will not be able to properly format your card to FAT32 using the built-in formatter. In this case please use the freeware program guiformat.exe. This program is also available under different names. I don't know if it's possible to overcome the problem by firmware, but the developer is aware of the issue.
FWIW, I have used 128GB, 200GB and 256GB cards formatted to FAT32 by guiformat.exe in the Mobius without any problem.
I was about to try reformatting the card again with jokiin's suggestion until I read your reply. And yes, it's a 128GB microSDXC card. Can you show me a reputable freeware program guiformat.exe?

I was about to try reformatting the card again with jokiin's suggestion until I read your reply. And yes, it's a 128GB microSDXC card. Can you show me a reputable freeware program guiformat.exe?

128gb card should format in the camera fine anyway, GUIformat is the name of the program, you can Google it, get the 64bit version if you have a 64bit OS

I just installed GUIformat on my computer and just found out that I already have the program installed 2 months ago. It looks like I attempted to format another microSDXC card to FAT32 using the same program. From what Isoprop said, 128GB cards doesn't format properly with the Mobius software, so I'll just subsitute the GUIformat software in place of the Mobius built-in formatter.

Currently, my microSDXC card is formatted to exFAT. Before I format the card to FAT32, are there any real reasons why I should format it to FAT32? Like what are the advantages that FAT32 has that exFAT doesn't? Would it be fine if I ran exFAT in my Mobius or will my Mobius have bad chemistry with it?

Read it again, as @Isoprop mentioned cards larger than 128gb were the problem, 128gb cards are fine with the internal formatter

exFAT will work but you may have problems with it recycling

Last edited:
I've never used a 64gb sd card in my möbius 1 without fortmatting it to fat32 religiously as I'm curious to whether it will mess up and not record parts of my journey!

In EXFAT there are problems when the card fills and needs to overwrite old files; otherwise EXFAT does work with Mobuis. Since everything works correctly with Fat32, that's the better option when used as a dashcam.

Phil

I now have 3 Mobius cameras and none of them is able to format a 128GB SD card to FAT32 in camera. I run the format in mSetup, disconnect the camera, and then try to start recording. I get fast blinking between orange and green, while the rear LED also blinks fast.

When I put put the SD in a USB reader Windows 10 says it's unformatted.

However formatting using EaseUS does work and the cameras can record.

I don't understand how I have this issue with 3 different cameras from two different stores, yet no one else has experienced this.

Back