The UK AA calls for crackdown on sharing dashcam video

For some reason we don't see many USA or Canadian cars on the roads here, maybe there aren't many of you that would benefit from being able to use our AA service via an affiliation?

And I believe, if covered by CAA, one is covered by the AAA in states and vice versa. I could be wrong. I am not a member of CAA any longer. I was thinking in terms of a parent organization, or the owner expanding oversea, and not so much providing a benefit for cross border driving as its impossible in this case.

I get caught on CCTV scratching my arse at least 10 times a day :D

The AA do tend to buy the basic budget versions of vans with the least powerful aka cheapest engines, but as you said they drive well I think, a dash cam is regarded by insurance companies as a modification, yes ridiculous I know, it reminds me of the time Privilege wanted to charge me more for modifying my car by fitting a CAT1 alarm/immobiliser ffs!!
An appeal yesterday by our local police here in norfolk wanted info about various vans selling generators out the back, these vans were putting on false plates etc, being as there were around 8-10 travelling people the "foreign" plates cops mentioned were in fact irish I phoned them to say I have cam footage of all the numbers as I pass by 8-10 times a day where they are to be told there is a roughly 45 minute wait to be put through!!, needless to say I put the phone down they have my number if they want info bad enough.
I have tried on several occasions to give cam footage to norfolk police and they were not interested.
They will never be banned it is too much of a golden opportunity for extra "eyes" I think they will try as our nanny state does to introduce some form of censorship on posting vids online which isn't right imo

I believe that most CAA vehicles are owned and operated by 3rd party associates and not CAA themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This will set the AA on it's butt:

The Manchester Police have put out a call for dashcam videos from anyone driving near the arena yesterday evening from 8PM till 11PM local time.

My heart goes out to you folks and I hope nobody here was directly affected.

Phil

Sadly this is unlikely to be the last, we as a nation stand up to terrorism alongside our allies across the pond and especially usa, doing this makes us a target but is the right thing to do imo

In Portugal (...) users need the other person's permission to share video online
Say what? We don't have a single law regarding the use of dashcams and the laws that regulate filming in public places are vague, to say the least! The AA is just making things up. o_O

Last edited:
As for needing permission to publish the videos online, well, we have a law that safeguards the individual's image rights but usually it's only the "VIPs" who invoke it when they're caught by the paparazzi doing "VIP" stuff that they want removed from the pink press. There are hundreds of videos on YT published by tourists who visit us, showing random people in the streets, monuments, cafés, restaurants and gas stations, street musicians, tuk-tuk drivers, even people on the beaches, and no one complains.
The only way I'd be forced to take down a dashcam video would be if anyone depicted in them filed a complain against their poor driving skills being shown publicly :D, but I don't think anyone is going to bother because they all think they're excellent drivers that do nothing wrong. :confused:

I've been cut up, raced, and brake tested by AA vans on a few occasions over the years. I suppose this must be typical and the AA are tired of seeing their "professional driver's" crap road manners on YouTube.

Note: I am an AA member, I give them £80 a year for feck all.

I've been cut up, raced, and brake tested by AA vans on a few occasions over the years..

See bad __AA behaviour is NOT limited to my side of the pond.

In the mid '90's in Ontario, we had photo radar for a few years and a political party elected to provincial government with the platform of repealing it. No political party dare mention photo radar it is platform. There were numerous complaints about it, but one was that it infringed on privacy. Hey one could get a photo of bleached blond in the front seat of the driver. Funny, but I see the UK has photo radar. Guess the UK AA does not have privacy concerns when it comes to that.

For me the situation is quite simple, dashcams are there to capture accidents and record general footage. They're not there to be a tool for a private police force. The simple way to control it is to ban the admissibility of evidence of private dashcams in motoring convictions and ban the seizure of footage by the police.

They Government could also look at banning the publication of footage of others driving badly on channels such as Youtube (more of a compulsory take down requirement / fine if fail to do so for the web site owner than a fine for the footage creator).

That would allow the publication of footage for general use eg a holiday video, fun driving video, in car demonstration video of either the cam or car, or any other general in car filming that didn't capture poor driving, and allow the posting of videos of accidents. A good balance between reasonable privacy (and the fact that everyone makes mistakes) and the right to film in public.

The big issue with these cams as I see it is their use to try to get other motorists in trouble which all becomes very vigilante especially in a country like the UK which is crammed full of do gooders with no better intention than to get others in trouble.

I must be a "do gooder" as I tried to get the cops interested in a tosser going around the outside of a large round about on a dual carriageway on his phone stopping repeatedly across all lanes even going as far as making a statement to then be sent a link to download my footage that did not work, I even went into plod shop HQ today for help with this and they said they can't help!!

"It said too many drivers post videos on social media without considering the impact on the motorists shown."

Actually if I do post something publicly, it's precisely BECAUSE I've considered the impact. I sincerely hope that other people who have problems with a vehicle do a search on the registration number and find what I've put up. Hopefully other people do the same, the evidence mounts, and the truly atrocious drivers will lose any ability to claim they are reasonably behaved.

Goodness, maybe some day the authorities will pull their finger out and do something about it, so we wouldn't feel the need to do this.

Perhaps the AA should start fighting for motorists rights (they used to). They should start with fighting the ridiculous 20mph speed limits being imposed on main roads, instead of wasting their time on this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niko Dash Cam Discussion 0
Back