Dashcam doesn't cut off when car cuts off

FUR10N

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Panorama G for my '15 Porsche Cayman.

The dashcam is plugged into the cigarette lighter, but when I cut the car off the dashcam stays on. I didn't have this problem with my VW Golf, so I'm assuming the cigarette lighter just stays powered for some amount of time in the Porsche.

Anyone know if I'm going to drain the battery if I leave it plugged in while the car is off? Or do I need to unplug it every time?

Thanks for any help!

Check if it's always live or live for a specific time, some vehicles the accessory circuit will stay live for 30 minutes or so and then time out and switch off

They don't use a lot of power though

Yep, read your manual (or check in the "Good to Know" app), the Porsche outlets will stay powered for 30 minutes after ignition shut-off.

What I have not yet found, however, is whether there's a circuit elsewhere, or a fuse, that also follows that plan. As yet all fuses are either constantly on or switched with the ignition. I've not found one my in '17 that times out like sockets.

Last edited:
The dashcam is plugged into the cigarette lighter, but when I cut the car off the dashcam stays on. I didn't have this problem with my VW Golf, so I'm assuming the cigarette lighter just stays powered for some amount of time in the Porsche.
As mentioned above some cars do and some don't. My Camaro's outlets are always on, but the ones in the Subaru turn off with the car. You should be okay since it seems yours eventually turn off. I have only killed a battery once, and that was from leaving the camera in and on for two days without running the car,

Yep, read your manual (or check in the "Good to Know" app), the Porsche outlets will stay powered for 30 minutes after ignition shut-off.

What I have not yet found, however, is whether there's a circuit elsewhere, or a fuse, that also follows that plan. As yet all fuses are either constantly on or switched with the ignition. I've not found one my in '17 that times out like sockets.
Certain things on cars go through a BCM, body control module, this module is live all the time and does a multitude of functions on many newer cars, certainly most if not all functions that are timed like fag lighters on some cars, sidelights interior light etc go through these also so they turn themselves off to save battery

Back